Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Being on the West Coast of the US, we are able to take advantge of 2/3/4 night cruises in the late spring when they are moving ships up to Alaska for the summer season, and again in the fall, when they are leaving Alaskan waters.

We think it is a great way to get acquainted with different ships & lines, and makes for a great "long weekend".

We have done several of those, usually taking the train one way, and the ship the other.

Having done a couple of short cruises (2 and 3 nights respectively) I know that these are totally unrepresentative of "proper" cruises. They get a very different passenger base for a start, and the crew have no time to bond with you. In fact I think the crew hate them. There is a lot of work for them for little reward. At least on Saga you won't get the hen and stag parties though!!

Okay, I'll show my ignorance. What are "hen and stag parties?" A UK meet-and-greet for singles? Which cruise lines put on these parties?

Being on the West Coast of the US, we are able to take advantge of 2/3/4 night cruises in the late spring when they are moving ships up to Alaska for the summer season, and again in the fall, when they are leaving Alaskan waters. We think it is a great way to get acquainted with different ships & lines, and makes for a great "long weekend". We have done several of those, usually taking the train one way, and the ship the other.

What train do you take in Alaska? Would that be the Midnight Sun? Where in southern Alaska is the terminus?

This discussion of cruise overnights and 2-4 days night cruises is quite interesting. I agree with ships cat that the crew must dread the short cruises because the huge efforts for turnaround would be occurring constantly. It would be ugly. Having said that, I agree with Michael that these types of cruises would be good introductory experiences for different cruise lines.

To All - I am truly gobsmacked that this thread has now risen to over 3,000 posts and also quickly blew thru the 70,000 views number. When I sailed on Saga Rose for Greenland and Iceland almost exactly two years ago, we were at approx. 6,850 views and I was surprised and happy with the lively activity on this thread. All of you continue to make interesting, focused, and informative remarks and they are appreciated.

And a special thanks to you for the fine level of civility we've enjoyed these three years - it's my favourite ingredient in our marvelous stew.

Ruby

Sorry if I mislead you. I'm talking about Amtrak back down to either the Sacramento area or San Francisco area after going North by ship.

Of course, in the fall, it would be North by train, then back by ship.

That usually means a dreaded Amtrak bus beween Vancouver BC and Seattle, as the Amtrak train connections are not good with the train affectionately known as the Coast Starlate. Its real name is Coast Starlight, but it has had some serious ontime problems due to track work plus a huge landslide that effectively cut the line in Oregon.

And of course Ruby, congrats on chairing this thread and seeing it past the 3,000 mark. Remarkable!

Edited by Druke I

Sorry Ruby! Hen and Stag parties are pre-wedding parties for the bride and groom respectively. Everyone tends to get very drunk as a last fling before marriage! The 2 night cruises are very popular for these events :( Another reason I suspect the crew don't enjoy them!

Having said that I have booked a four night cruise on Queen Victoria in October - as Michael says it is a good way to try a new ship.

Edited by ships cat

Hi Sharon ,didn,t think you where old enough to be on this thread and don,t you believe it ,no hen or stag parties ,you know they call them Saga louts :D

Unfortunately - yes, although I haven't travelled on Saga, but I have sailed on Saga Ruby as both Vistafjord and Caronia :) Hadn't thought of Saga Louts though :eek:

I have just received by Royal Mail the shiny new brochure touting Saga's latest acquisition, the Astoria. Oh. Excuse me. Saga Pearl II.

One category of cabins has "French balconies." What does that mean in plain English? You have to climb over a threshold to get outside? You can look out onto the balcony but it's too small to hold a chair?

Hadn't thought of Saga Louts though :eek:

Uh oh. Did I miss something on my 34 days on the Saga Sisters?

Ruby

I had a French balcony on Carnival Spirit during a 2005 Hawaii-Vancouver repositioning cruise. I cranked the window open to enjoy the sea air, as well as a splendid view of the lifeboat hanging directly outside my cabin and obstructing the sea view.

There were always crewmen crawling around the lifeboats daily for routine maintenance. One afternoon I stood in front of my mirror and opened my bathrobe (all that I had on) to find out how dark my tan line had become. Of course, at that very moment a crewman passed by my balcony. He must have thought that I was some sort of a pervert. LOL!

Donald.

I had a French balcony on Carnival Spirit during a 2005 Hawaii-Vancouver repositioning cruise. I cranked the window open to enjoy the sea air, as well as a splendid view of the lifeboat hanging directly outside my cabin and obstructing the sea view.

There were always crewmen crawling around the lifeboats daily for routine maintenance. One afternoon I stood in front of my mirror and opened my bathrobe (all that I had on) to find out how dark my tan line had become. Of course, at that very moment a crewman passed by my balcony. He must have thought that I was some sort of a pervert. LOL!

Donald.

:eek::eek:

Ruby, As I understand it, French Balconies have a sliding door, with railing, but no balcony per se. I suppose you could pull up a chair to it and sit - as long as the bed is situated to leave enough space.

I'm confused. A person pays for a cabin with a "French balcony" which is actually a sliding-glass door that opens directly onto a railing. The occupant stands on the cabin's carpet, leans forward from the cabin onto the railing of this faux balcony, and looks out? Is that correct?

Ruby

Actually I still believe there is a market for ordinary outside cabins with opening windows - above a certain level of course :) I did enjoy my one balcony cabin, but mainly for the fresh air it afforded.

Have you noticed the many new threads posted under "Other Cruise Lines" that refer to smaller, more exotic ships and locales? I'm cautiously optimistic - does this mean that newbies on mass market lines are a bit weary of chugging around the Caribbean and now want to sample something different?

Ruby

Have you noticed the many new threads posted under "Other Cruise Lines" that refer to smaller, more exotic ships and locales? I'm cautiously optimistic - does this mean that newbies on mass market lines are a bit weary of chugging around the Caribbean and now want to sample something different?

Ruby

If true, that might send the right messages to the cruise lines......no I didn't think so but can hope. Talking of balconies, I see I have a free upgrade to one on Queen Victoria next month :) Oh dear - I could get used to them :eek:

Tomorrow I'll be off to Alaska on Zuiderdam. This time I will be accompanied by a friend celebrating his 55th birthday. He has cruised once on Carnival (which he didn't like) and four times on Celebrity (which he likes). I will be curious as to what his opinion will be of Holland America. I'm sure that he will enjoy himself, though ... after all, a cruise is a cruise, right?

I'll warn him not to glance in the promenade deck cabin windows! :D

Donald.

I know what we all think of the new mega barges, but thought you might be interested in these photos I took yesterday. I had a free day trip to look over Independence of the Seas - which confirmed all my worst fears about these ships - but it was still a great experience. I think the worst part was the loud piped music up on deck :eek: No chance to just listen to the waves then. :(

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sharonp40/CruiseShipsIndependenceOfTheSeas2009#

Have a great time Donald.

Edited by ships cat

Have a good trip, Donald.

And me!! But I never pass up an opportunity to see a cruise ship :) I was just glad to be getting off again before she sailed! :rolleyes:

Edited by ships cat

I received a brochure in the mail encouraging me to “rediscover an unrivaled heritage on the Transatlantic Crossing.” I usually dispose of these pamphlets unread as I have never sailed on a Cunard Queen. However, my curiosity was peaked at what new angle Cunard can find to advertise for crossings from NYC.

Can someone tell me about the atmosphere onboard the Queens? Is it slightly upscale with a willingness to enjoy eveningwear and a slightly more formal societal atmosphere? Do pax occasionally show up at a Grill in shorts and flipflops for dinner and get turned away?

On the NYC to UK crossings, are most folks in transit or do some of the pax make round trips without disembarking?

My parents’ favourite story about the original QE was the widow who appeared at every meal wearing a different hat. Eventually someone asked her where she stored her hatboxes. Her famous reply, “In the penthouse next to mine!”

Ruby

I received a brochure in the mail encouraging me to “rediscover an unrivaled heritage on the Transatlantic Crossing.” I usually dispose of these pamphlets unread as I have never sailed on a Cunard Queen. However, my curiosity was peaked at what new angle Cunard can find to advertise for crossings from NYC.

Can someone tell me about the atmosphere onboard the Queens? Is it slightly upscale with a willingness to enjoy eveningwear and a slightly more formal societal atmosphere? Do pax occasionally show up at a Grill in shorts and flipflops for dinner and get turned away?

On the NYC to UK crossings, are most folks in transit or do some of the pax make round trips without disembarking?

My parents’ favourite story about the original QE was the widow who appeared at every meal wearing a different hat. Eventually someone asked her where she stored her hatboxes. Her famous reply, “In the penthouse next to mine!”

Ruby

I found the QM2 a beautiful ship Ruby. Yes they are fairly upscale and probably the most formal of the ships sailing today. On our crossing of 6 days there were three formal nights, 1 semi-formal and the first and last night were "elegant casual". On the formal nights people wore a wide range from cocktail to a full ball gown (me !!). I love dressing up.

There were a mixture of one-way crossing people and some round trippers and about 20 different nationalities on board.

If you really don't want to dress for dinner, then you can eat in the Kings Court buffet, but there is still a minimum standard of dress.

During the day the activities range from cards and jigsaws to lectures (some light, some heavy), the RADA acting classes and the usual shipbaord stuff (shuffle board, deck quoits etc.) If you have any specific queries I'd be happy to try and answer them. My view is if you enjoy the traditional cruise experience, you will love QM2. A crossing is such a different experience from a cruise.

Edited by ships cat

I should have added - that yes - she is big but you need it for winter transatlantic crossings, but she really doesn't feel that big with lots of little nooks and crannies in which to sit and read.

By the way, have been on the largest (at the moment) ship in the world, I have booked four nights on Boudicca to try out Fred Olsen. She is the old Royal Viking Sky.

Edited by ships cat

Donald - Are you back from Alaska? How was the ship and how was the weather?

Hi, Ruby! David and I disembarked from Zuiderdam yesterday morning. I asked him if he would cruise on Holland America again, and he replied in the affirmative. He did say that the dining room food was of "good quality", whereas that on Celebrity is of "great quality." My travel agent gave us a complimentary dinner in the Pinnacle Grill - we went on a formal night, as David preferred to be formally dressed in there. That meant that we sat through the Master Chef's Dinner, though neither of us donned the hats. I asked him what he thought about that experience, and he remarked that it was just "fine."

We liked our suite better than what we had on Celebrity's Summit and Infinity, as it had a large window over the desk plus the doors to the verandah. There was a lot of natural sunlight coming in. The bathroom had a separate glass-enclosed shower in addition to the tub, as well as two wash basins. Closets, drawers and storage areas were outstandingly plentiful. We used the exclusive Neptune Lounge only for cappuccinos and espressos in the mornings and late afternoons.

While service by the staff was generally good, David remarked that the majority of passengers seemed to be uncongenial. Smiles and hellos were rare, even while passing in corridors and public rooms. There was a large contingent of Australians and New Zealanders aboard who seemed to be a merry lot, but they pretty much kept to themselves.

We liked the wrap-around promenade, and used it often. On Zuiderdam the public rooms were on that deck, so there were no cabin windows in which to glance.

For the first four days the weather was splendid - generally sunny and warm. It was overcast when we approached Tracy Arm, but once in it the clouds cleared. However, the ship did not sail all the way to the glacier because of excessive ice. Later that day, I wore shorts in Juneau.

It started off sunny in Skagway, and clouded over in the afternoon, but the weather remained comfortably cool. Glacier Bay, as usual, was overcast and raining, but for the most part we observed the four glaciers from the comfort of our large verandah. David was impressed about being really close to the Margerie and Johns Hopkins glaciers. There were a few spectacular calvings of ice.

Ketchikan once again was wet. I believe that in the 17 times that I've been in that city, only three or four times has it been sunny. David and I wandered around the city for a bit, and returned to relax in our suite in the late afternoon. Afterwards, rain doubled and tripled in volume, and wind sprang up. I looked out our window at 6 p.m. and the wind was really howling, with the gangplank clattering around. The Captain announced that the wind had reached 45 knots.

For safety reasons, the gangplank was removed, and soon hundreds of passengers returning from tours and shoppings and off-duty crew huddled miserably underneath the overhangs of the shops beside the dock. The gangplank was not re-installed until 6:45 p.m., and as David and I descended the stairs to the Ocean Bar for our pre-dinner drink, rain-drenched, disheveled and grouchy passengers scrambled up the stairs past us to their cabins.

The last sea day was foggy and rainy with 12-foot waves and Force 9 winds. Passengers were forbidden to venture out on the promenades and open decks, enforced by yellow tapes strung in front of all the doors. An awning flapped wildly and a broken light fixture swung in arcs just outside one of the doors on the top deck. I do not know what other damage there might have been elsewhere. However, we were very impressed that Zuiderdam sailed smoothly through the witch's cauldron, with minimal pitching and rolling, though she shook quite a bit from the buffeting of the wind. Passengers were not allowed out in the open until 7 p.m. that day, once we were in the calmer Inside Passage.

We disembarked in Vancouver to a beautiful, warm and sunny day. :)

Overall it was an interesting cruise!

Donald.

Here's my favourite photograph taken during the Zuiderdam cruise, at the approach to Tracy Arm. While it is overcast above the ship (and the gloomy grey is reflected in the sea), in the far distance the sky is clear and sunny, brightly illuminating the mountain there, beckoning us with a promise of warmth and beauty.

zz2009_0914_TracyArmentrance.jpg

Donald.