Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

I have a good friend, northern Italian, who has blonde curly hair and blue eyes.

Apparently there has been a lot of fraternization with the Swiss, just across the border.

Reference Titanic's chamber pots - they are very visible in Ballard's videos of the debris field from Titanic's sinking.

Later two class ships (interwar and post WW2) had "facilities" dotted about in the 2nd class areas, and Oriana had convertible cabins, to which facilities could be added at extra cost. I believe her running mate, Canberra, also had convertible cabins in 2nd class.

I was originally quite surprised to find Louis Cruise Lines', Princesa Victoria (The Victoria, Victoria, Dunottar Castle) in the 2004 'Ocean Cruising & Cruise Ships' by Douglas Ward. Here was a 1936 ship with a lot of history & still sailing. She was on my 'to do list', but like so many, now just 'wishful thinking'.

At 14,583 tons, she was not a big cruise ship. Harland & Wolff built. It sounds like she was a popular ship in her day. I would like to see Doug.'s article.

Any comments on the Regal Empress?

Ross: It is a new, film version of Brideshead, by Ecosse Films. Matthew Goode as Charles Ryder, Ben Wishaw as Sebastian, Hayley Atwell as Julia, Michael Gambon as Lord Marchmain & Emma Thompson as Lady Marchmain. They have finished filming at Castle Howard, but still have to film in Oxford, London, Morocco & Venice. Sounds interesting, but a film version would be too short & if happy with the original then maybe best not to watch this one!

Graham.

It is a new, film version of Brideshead, by Ecosse Films. Matthew Goode as Charles Ryder, Ben Wishaw as Sebastian, Hayley Atwell as Julia, Michael Gambon as Lord Marchmain & Emma Thompson as Lady Marchmain.

Graham, I know that I am getting really, really old when I don't recognize the names of any of the performers except Emma Thompson! I grew up watching the films of Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, Henry Fonda, Rex Harrison and the other big stars of the 1950s and 1960s.

You asked why I would choose to experience a voyage on Titanic rather than on Olympic. It would be just like choosing to experience a voyage on Andrea Doria rather than Cristoforo Colombo. There's just the X factor involved with Titanic and Andrea Doria.

Donald.

While still 24hrs steaming time from Honolulu, there was a medical evacuation in the early AM. Two helicopters (one USAF and one USMC) and an Air Force C-123 tanker were circling the ship. First chopper was unable to get down on deck, as the ship was bouncing too much. 2nd chopper lowered paramedic and a stokes litter to deck, sick passenger was secured in the litter and hoisted to chopper. While hoisting paramedic, ship took bad bounce, he hit railings, and stunned him. They got him aboard chopper.

Oh, Michael. You certainly sent me off down memory lane on this one! One of the great things about this thread is hearing everyone's stories & learning from their knowledge & experiences. Another is that in listening to other's stories, the memories just come flooding back. You can then tell your story with no fear of boring anyone. If they don't like it, they can just skip it & move on to the next thing! So here is another trip down memory lane for me. Please feel free to have a nap or just skip it & move on! I may digress but there is a nautical conclusion to the story.

Many years ago, I was involved in mountain rescue in Scotland. At different times, I was a member of two mountain rescue teams. The helicopter rescues were carried out by the RAF Air-Sea Rescue service who do a fantastic job. We used to train regularly with them & we cooperated together on search & rescue missions. The helicopters involved were either 'Sea Kings' or 'Westland Wessex". They were yellow in colour & smelled of aviation fuel, so we often called them,'paraffin budgies'!

Our involvement usually consisted of transportation by one of two methods. Either the chopper would deposit us on, or pick us up from a mountainside by hovering next to the mountain slope with two of it's three wheels touching the ground, while we jumped on or off. The other method was to winch us up from, or down to the slope, either in pairs or alone, but no winchman. I always thought that it was a bit precarious because all you had to secure you to the winch cable was a strap loop (the strop)which went over the shoulders & under the arms. It was important to keep your arms down & hold on tight. To lift your arms up would have involved a very long drop! It was also very important to let the grounding cable touch the ground before touching the strop, otherwise you would get a very nasty electrical shock from the static electricity.

I found it to be very exciting & I loved it. It was however a serious business & I came very close to being in a helicopter which crashed (Britain's only RAF helicopter to be lost during a mountain rescue, up to that point). A couple of years ago, a Canadian Airforce Sea King landed at a school near our house & allowed the public to go onboard for a look. That brought back many memories. The other great place to see these aircraft is onboard the USS Midway, aircraft carrier/museum in San Diego.

Later, when I lived in New Zealand, I was involved in ski rescue, which also involved helicopter work. On this occasion, it was the small Bell Jetranger helicopter. Those Kiwi pilots knew how to fly & gave an exciting ride through the New Zealand mountains! Because the Jetranger was so small, the side door had to be removed to allow a stretcher to be strapped onto the back seat, using the seatbelts, with the casualty's feet sticking out of the side. This meant that if you were in the back with the casualty, you had no seatbelt & the side was open. This certainly gave you a white knuckle ride, especially when banking to the open side!

I was glad not to be involved in mountain rescue in New Zealand though, because they could not winch people into those small helicopters; you were left dangling underneath on a strop while the helicopter flew to wherever you were going! Very chilly! While climbing at Mount Cook on one occasion, the local rescue team arrived at the hut in a Bell Huie (? spelling) helicopter, which, as it suddenly rose up over the ridge, was like a scene out of a Vietnam movie.

In recent years, I had the chance to go on a sightseeing helicopter ride on the Big Island of Hawaii with an ex-'Nam' pilot. It was very scenic but due to regulations, the helicopter had to fly high, so it was just like flying in a very slow plane. All sense of the experience was lost. However flying low & fast over the New Zealand mountains was a real thrill.

Anyway, to come to the point at last; the nautical connection: Later on, I lived for a short while in Lerwick, in the Shetland Islands, North of Orkney, where Ruby & Conte are headed soon on the Saga Rose. Up there the Air-Sea Rescue work was not done by the RAF, but was contracted out to a private company: Bristows. While there, they would allow me to occasionally go out with them on training exercises.

They used a Sikorsky helicopter which was like a more modern version of the Sea King. It was fully computerised. They could programme it to fly to certain coordinates & hover at a certain height & it would do it automatically. They could have gone off for a coffee! I believe that modern cruise ships are the same now.

After signing a waver & climbing into a survival suite, we would fly off on exercise. This would involve the helicopter radioing to a passing Eastern European fishing trawler & enlisting their cooperation. They would then winch me down with the winchman onto the bucking after deck of the trawler. The winchman would then leave me there & return to the chopper. There I would be, struggling to keep my balance on the heaving deck, the crew looking at me as if I had just landed from Mars! Meanwhile the helicopter would do a wide circuit around the fishing boat & then return to 'rescue' me.

I had been warned that if they were suddenly called to an emergency at this point, I would be left where I was!! Next stop Leningrad! Thankfully that did not happen & the winchman would descend to lift me back to the safety of the helicopter.

At the time, I was young & foolish, & thought that this was fun!!!

Graham.

GREAT STORIES!!! THANKS!!!

REGAL EMPRESS: aka OLYMPIA.

It is amazing that she is still sailing. I saw her many times in the 1970's...usually cruising out of New York. I am sure Doug can give us the details but off the top of my head...I remember her being built by Aristotle Onassis in or around 1955??? Years ago there was a nice article about her in Cruise Travel...and the paneling and main dining room were still in great shape. She is certainly a classic and I would love to go onboard to see her. I do have some good memorabilia on her. Her First Class menus were wonderful. I talked some friends of mine into their first cruise...about 1972...and they took the OLYMPIA...out of New York and they absolutely loved it. They could not get over how much space there was and how nice everything was. They said the food and service was better than any hotel they had ever stayed in.

ROSS

You had an amazing time of it, with the choppers. I doubt that I could have been in that particular line of work - I have a thing about heights and dangling on wires!

Odd perhaps, because many moons ago I was passed the examination process for the US Army Helicopter Pilots Course, but turned it down while the papers were in process, due to an unfavorable (to me) change in regulations regarding extending enlistments vs. re-enlisting. Perhaps just as well, as it would have put me into the start of our admitted involvement in the Vietnam War, and chopper pilots did not have a long life expectancy there.

We did seen one other helicopter evacuation, off the coast of Nova Scotia. HAL's Westerdam, 9-97, conducted by Canadian equivalent of Coast Guard (can't recall the service's name at moment).

Helicopter evacuations are always fascinating to watch.

Perhaps just as well, as it would have put me into the start of our admitted involvement in the Vietnam War, and chopper pilots did not have a long life expectancy there.

We did seen one other helicopter evacuation, off the coast of Nova Scotia. HAL's Westerdam, 9-97, conducted by Canadian equivalent of Coast Guard (can't recall the service's name at moment).

Helicopters are dangerous things, even when not at war. They were used extensively in New Zealand for all sorts of things including filming, deer farming & catching wild deer (from a helicopter!), tourism, rescue, etc etc. The pilots at one time, had a mortality rate similar to that of American military pilots in Vietnam. Those that survived, usually ended up a couple of inches shorter than they started out, due to the compression of their spines when the helicopters crashed!

Wire strikes were one of their greatest dangers. People kept putting up new telephone & electricity wires without proper notification & an unsuspecting pilot who is busy concentrating on something like filming, can hit a wire before they know what has happened. A friend of mine here in Canada, was a pilot for a logging company. He converted to helicopters but later changed back to fixed wing planes because too many of his friends were being killed flying helicopters. He was doing a 'medi-vac' one day when he almost hit a new wire, which had gone up next to the helicopter pad of the hospital !!!

I think Michael, that you made a very wise decision !!!

P.S. They are called the 'Canadian Coastguard' !!!

Graham.

Graham, I inspected the helicopters aboard the USS Midway last November, during one of my trips to San Diego to go on cruises to the Mexican Riviera. It was interesting to tour the aircraft carrier/museum.

You certainly had interesting experiences on helicopters! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Donald.

Graham, I know that I am getting really, really old when I don't recognize the names of any of the performers except Emma Thompson! I grew up watching the films of Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, Henry Fonda, Rex Harrison and the other big stars of the 1950s and 1960s.

Donald.

Don't worry Donald. Many of them will be young British actors. I was only passing on the information that I had read, incase it meant anything to anyone. I am the world's worst when it comes to 'celebrity culture'! I never know who they are: "Oh, you know, thats..... whats his name, the chap that was in..... what did you call it?" I could pass them in the street & have no idea who they were (they would either love that or hate it!).

No mention of filming on the QE2 or any other ship, on this one though.

Graham.

Graham, I inspected the helicopters aboard the USS Midway last November, during one of my trips to San Diego to go on cruises to the Mexican Riviera. It was interesting to tour the aircraft carrier/museum.

Donald.

I did not expect to like San Diego when I visited for the first time last year, but I did. It was especially great for a ship lover. I had a most enjoyable time exploring the ships in the maritime museum, including the sailing ship used in the film 'Master & Commander', the Russian submarine (my first time on a submarine), the old Scottish sailing ship 'Star of Alaska' & that beautiful old Scottish millionaire's yacht with it's gorgeous old wood panelling.

I had a bit of a laugh, looking at the HAL Amsterdam through the periscope of the Russian submarine! Not only was it my first time on a submarine, but I had never seen an aircraft carrier before & there were several to be seen there, including the USS Midway which was fascinating to explore.

I was surprised at the very basic standard of accomodation for the crew on the Midway, but on the other hand they were well provided for with food! It was amazing to sit up in the bridge & look over the flight deck, with so many interesting planes on display.

Now, being used to modern cruise ships, the Midway seemed relatively small by comparison. The Oosterdam was docked nearby & I made the mistake of saying to one of the old crew volunteers that I enjoyed visiting his ship but that I prefered my one (the Oosterdam). He had no sense of humour, so I had to endure a lecture about how the Midway was a warship & not built for comfort!

We did, on the Oosterdam, what you plan to do on the Ryndam, Donald. We had a week in Mexico & then sailed up to Vancouver via San Francisco, which is a port that we also enjoyed very much. North of San Francisco, we were hit by a force eleven gale (strongest ever for me). I was very impressed at how well the 'Vista ship' handled it. I am led to believe that true ocean liners, like the QE2 & QM2, would sail through this without losing much speed. The Oosterdam certainly had to slow down but faired well. The Ryndam was in the same storm & suffered interior damage.

The passengers were upset because we were half a day late in getting into Vancouver, so they missed their flights. I, on the other hand, was beside myself with delight. Because we were late, we got to sail through the Juan De Fuca Strait, the San Juan Islands & the Gulf Islands during daylight hours (a real bonus).

All in all, it was a great trip, & only one short flight from home!

Graham.

Graham, I believe that it was the Star of Asia which was the old clipper ship in San Diego. I was impressed with the differences between its First-Class accommodations in the stern and the steerage quarters in the holds. I didn't know that First-Class passengers had to bring onboard their own beddings and wash-tubs (in which they took baths), as well as being allowed to bring only two changes of clothes for the months-long voyages. However, they traveled in luxury compared with those in steerage, where there were toilets with chamber pots here and there next to the sleeping bunks.

I had claustrophobia on the Soviet submarine. There happened to be family groups in front and behind me. They stopped to read every piece of information and to take photographs of the quarters or of each other. I became immobile between these two groups. I am quite tall, and my head nearly touched the ceiling of the submarine, between the pipings. I had a couple of panic attacks, during which I shut my eyes tightly close and tried to leave my mind completely blank so that I would not scream in terror. I am unable to conceive of working for even two minutes, much less several months, in that submarine. At the end of the transit of the submarine, the father in front of me wanted to take photographs of each of his family member ascending the ladder to outside. I had to rudely shove past them to emerge into fresh air (and considerable relief). This likely will be the only time that I have ever been in a submarine, unless it is built like a luxury cruise ship.

I was impressed with the millionaire's luxurious yacht, but I didn't see a bathroom, not even a chamber pot, anywhere on the main deck.

Now you know why I booked on the Ryndam's repositioning cruise next April. Even if she got into Vancouver late due to weather or whatever, it'll still just be 7 minutes' drive from Canada Place to my apartment.

Donald.

Graham, I believe that it was the Star of Asia which was the old clipper ship in San Diego. Donald.

I dont mind being wrong, Donald. I frequently am, so I get used to it! However, on this occasion we are both wrong. I looked up our photo album & there it was, as clear as day, on the stern: "Star Of India".

I have to concede that you were geographically closer! She worked in Alaska later in her life & I thought that they changed her name to 'Star of Alaska'. Where is Doug. on this one!

I do not remember what her proper classification was, but I do not think that she was a 'clipper'!! There was a very similar ship in San Francisco called the 'Balclutha' (Gaelic for.......Oh, stop it!!!)

Sorry you had such a rotten time on the submarine. I do not envy them either. It was interesting though.

Graham.

The tale of claustrophobia reminds me of being on a convict ship at a museum in Sydney Australia. I had a panic attack, and had to get out quickly. Same thing happened in a coal mine up in either Prince Edward Island or Nova Scotia, Canada.

I did go aboard a WW2 Russian submarine in Vladivostok - and did not find it as claustrophobic as the WW2 German submarine at the Field Museum in Chicago. That German sub is the only one the US Navy captured on the high seas during WW2 with a boarding party ("Away all boarders!")

Remember, Midway is a WW2 carrier, and much smaller than today's nuke aircraft carriers. They are huge and impressive!

However, they traveled in luxury compared with those in steerage, where there were toilets with chamber pots here and there next to the sleeping bunks.

I was impressed with the millionaire's luxurious yacht, but I didn't see a bathroom, not even a chamber pot, anywhere on the main deck.

Donald.

Donald: You seem to have chamber pots on your mind a lot these days! I have to ask the question; "Is this a good thing?" !!!:)

In Scotland, the chamber pot is sometimes called a 'gzunder' .....because it gzunder the bed!

Now this conversation is really taking a nosedive. I think that it is time that Ruby was back here to take charge. Speaking of whom, Ruby should be bidding farewell to Greenland today at Cape Farewell Passage & beginning her crossing to Iceland. I hope that the weather is kind to her.

Graham.

ALL G'ZUNDERS ASIDE...LOL!!!

HI GRAHAM,

I hope they just take the new Brideshead film and go straight to DVD...LOL. How could they possibly improve on Jeremy Irons, Anthony Andrews, Lord Lawrence Olivier, Claire Bloom and the rest of the cast??? They were superb...I believe it was the best made for TV series ever produced. Of course they had John Mortimer doing the script and screenplay...who could be better than that. John Mortimer was the creator of of RUMPLE OF THE BAILY...my other all-time favorite program...with the incredible Leo McKern. How I miss that program...sighhhhhhh.

I do hope they have the good sense to film the ship scenes in England...where they have the technical know-how to make them come alive. The original scenes were splendid until they got on the decks of the QE II.

ROSS

Donald: You seem to have chamber pots on your mind a lot these days! I have to ask the question; "Is this a good thing?" !!!:)

I am interested in shipboard toilet facilities simply because these are not mentioned in ship books, except for marble bathtubs of ocean liner first-class suites of the first half of the 20th Century. Histories of Dutch East Indiamen, emigrant ships, the early Cunard liners and others generally do not mention toilet facilities at all, despite the fact that obviously it is an essential thing to have.

I am similarly interested in how fresh water for drinking purposes was provided on months-long voyages before the 20th Century (such as between Britain and Australia), if emigrants and first-class passengers were able to do personal hygiene, and other facts which we now take for granted. A tour on the Star of India (thanks for the name correction!) helped to answer some of these questions for me.

Donald.

John Mortimer was the creator of of RUMPLE OF THE BAILY...my other all-time favorite program...with the incredible Leo McKern. How I miss that program...sighhhhhhh.

ROSS

Ross: I gave 'she who must be obeyed', the entire set of 'Rumpole Of The Bailey' on DVD for Christmas last year. We are still working our way through it. We last watched an episode only a couple of nights ago. John Mortimer gives a preview before every episode.

All these classics can be purchased from any PBS station, Chapters Online or BBC Canada or America. They are great.

I doubt if your wine-lists on the 'ships of yore' included such delectables as: Chateau Thames Embankment, Chateau Fleet Street & Pomeroy's Plonk!

Donald: I think that the study of the sanitary facilities onboard the classic ships must be a fascinating one, & is not at all POTTY!!:)

Graham.

Tomorrow I am off on one of my regular 'cruises' on BC Ferries. I work away from home quite a lot, so I make the crossing between Vancouver Island & the mainland of British Columbia on a regular basis. The Strait Of Georgia is one of the most beautiful areas that I have ever experienced anywhere in the world. Vancouver should definitely be on that list of 'best ports'.

Although the crossing is only about two hours, it is a wonderful trip & no matter what the weather or time of year, I am out on the deck enjoying the scenery & just being on the sea on a ship. If you have to commute, then doing it on a ship is not so bad (unfortunately I also have a long drive).

Tomorrow as I am standing on the deck in the wind, looking out at the mountains & islands all around me, I will think about our Ruby on the Saga Rose, heading out from Greenland towards Iceland.

Graham.

I agree that Vancouver ranks very high among "pretty ports/harbors", and that the ferry crossing over to Vancouver Island is great.

My dad, when he first immigrated from England way back when, settled on either Main or Pender Island (I never can remember which). Good thing he later immigrated to the states and met my mother, otherwise I wouldn't be!

Rumour has it that a Saga captain wanted to send birthday greeting to a son. The funnel was blocking the satellite signal. Captain gets on the phone to the Bridge, orders "5 degrees to starboard," composes and sends his email, then calls the Bridge once more with "Resume normal course."

We have been out of satellite transmission for the better part of a week, not to mention the transmission speed is so slow that it costs $20 to send one message. So I shall be brief.

Force 7 winds, 12' waves, heavy seas, are the norm. Then, outside Nuuk, the capital of Greenland, the wind kicked up to 60 knots which is knocking on the door of hurricane winds. The seas are so perverse that we have become familiar with the principles of "pitch, roll, and yaw." These English passengers are such sports - the dining room and Lido Cafe are packed at all times. Since I have never had motion sickness, I'm having a blast.

Conte - the service is excellent, food is same although the fish dishes have been sadly a bit dry, cabin service is also excellent - the tour office have been tearing their hair out as we pass port after port and cannot land. But Saga Rose is beautiful with touches many of us remember from the '60 altho' upgraded. A maritime historian, Peter Boyd-Smith is one of the lecturers and I never miss a presentation. The Mauritania would have fit in the main dining room of the QM2 and the Titanic's rudder was too small?

Cape Farewell Passage off the southern coast of Greenland proved to be our highlight so far. The sun came out, the fjord waters were crystal smooth, we zigzagged our way thru the Passage with everyone in deck chairs, absorbing this unique event of bright blue skies and bright sun.

Good news, bad news - I am keeping a detailed cruise diary. You have been warned.

I am truly thrilled to see this thread alive and well. Sorry I can't read the new notes but thanks for keep the Nostalgia Cruise sailing on like the Flying Dutchman.

Ruby

the tour office have been tearing their hair out as we pass port after port and cannot land.

I do hope that the Saga Rose will be able to stop in Reykjavik tomorrow (the 18th). Weather forecast: sunny intervals, high of 13C (55F) & low of 6C (42F).

The Mauritania would have fit in the main dining room of the QM2 and the Titanic's rudder was too small?
I didn't know about these facts ... really interesting!

Donald (member of The Nostalgia Cruise).

Ruby it was great hearing from you. Sorry that Poseidon has been less than kind to you and the other passengers but the North Atlantic is notoriously unpredictable and the north North Atlantic is even more fickle. Now I know why there have been no postings in the Saga Rose's captain's blog. Such a frivolous activity while the sea is disturbed. I have been trying to find you on various but limited Greenland webcams but to no avail. I will check Reykjavik tomorrow. Behave and smile. You may be on candid webcam!

Sorry to hear about the dessicated fish. That's only an advantage when the fish is baccala but I don't suppose that is what they are serving on Saga Rose.

We are getting very excited now. We leave a week from Monday and just sent Saga our requests for tours.

I could hardly believe it when I opened the thread & saw Ruby's post. What a nice surprise.

If you can read this Ruby: of course you can play through, but it sounds like you will have difficulty making a straight shot!

Thank you for keeping us posted from so far away. Sorry to hear the weather has been so rough & you have missed ports. Just as well you do not get seasick!

I will look forward to a serialised travelogue on your return. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Conte: Welcome back. I hope all your computer problems are solved now.

Hopefully the weather will be kinder to you on your trip & you will be able to enjoy your port excursions. Please have a great cruise & enjoy Scotland.

Donald: Shame on you! Did you not watch the movie, 'Titanic'? Mr Bodine discussed the small rudder problem. Mind you, I must have seen it about two dozen times!

Graham.