Stern balcony room a mistake?

nm_longshot

Okay.. I tend to over analyze, but I have a bit of a concern and I'm hoping that someone here can tell me to relax and forget about it :D

I booked a stern balcony room on the RCCL Rhapsody, and it just occured to me that on the back of the boat we may tend to accumulate exhuast a bit more than other places on the ship.

Is this true.. or am I worried about nothing? Anyone have a stern balcony room with experience to share?

Thanks...

Hah! Yes, I am new to CC as well as to cruising. We booked this trip as a spring break trip after swearing I would never go on a cruise. I used to work in the oil industry and once spent 5 weeks on a rig being towed from Singapore to Palawan. No rock climbing wall on that vessel :-)

Stay tuned.... I'm sure I'll have lots of noob questions coming up.

Thanks for the help!

I have had an aft balcony on the Rhapsody........I can honestly say at no time during the cruise did we ever smell any type of exhaust from the ship.

I think you will enjoy it very much

nm_longshot,

Four points - first I'm not sure on the Rhapsody, but on the Constellation the Suites and CC cabins are at the stern of the ship. I would think if it's where they put the most expensive cabins, it ain't BAD!

Second, you may feel more motion aft. Again on the Constellation, the Dining Room is aft, and for meals, I found it a little unsettling to sit and watch the wake of the ship in the moonlight. The extra movement caused a little nausea and light-headedness. However, in our cabin towards the stern, we didn't have any problem with extra motion.

Third, I never saw or smelled any exhaust on any of my cruises, regardless of where my cabin was located. Some have reported soot, but I've never encountered any.

Fourth, relax and enjoy your cruise!:p

I also have traveled in STERN balcony cabins, [and thanks for that, pet peeve that people call them aft] anyway, Yes they do have certain good features about them, but they do also have negatives, you are wise to think of both sides here. I have in fact smelled exhaust on occasion. Also had debree from above rain down on balcony, and there is a lot more vibration and sometimes noise as well on the Stern. On the plus side you watch the wake and USUALLY have a larger balcony than side of ship cabins. and you have less wind generally. You are a long way from most things however as well. You just have to weigh the important points to YOU.

Okay.. I tend to over analyze, but I have a bit of a concern and I'm hoping that someone here can tell me to relax and forget about it :D

I booked a stern balcony room on the RCCL Rhapsody, and it just occured to me that on the back of the boat we may tend to accumulate exhuast a bit more than other places on the ship.

Is this true.. or am I worried about nothing? Anyone have a stern balcony room with experience to share?

Thanks...

Stern cabins are the best. The hall has less traffic. The view is 180 port and starboard rather than forward and aft.

No fumes or soot. Vibration only on pod ships when ship is moving sideways or turning or docking.

Noise- may be a problem in any cabin, not anymore on the stern. Don't get below the disco. Always bring ear plugs. You just never know for sure, who will be next door.

One draw back is that a longer walk to elevaors is required.

You are lucky to have a stern cabin.

OH!! Bow is the front of the ship. Stern is back of the ship.

Forward is the direction toward the front (bow) of the ship

Aft is the direction toward the back (stern) of the ship.

That is why we should refer to our cabin as stern cabin and not aft cabin. I know it is splitting hairs, but we are on a ship and not a boat.

You could say my cabin is toward the aft section of the ship, but your cabin could be anywhere on the ship away from the bow. If you say your cabin is on the stern, everyone knows where it is.

Archived