Disabled Disembarking at end of crusie

Three Rings

Planning our first cruise, and reading a lot of these boards, but haven't found an answer to this one yet.

I know we will have to put our luggage in the hallway the last night of the cruise. How do we handle items such as the hoyer lift and shower wheelchair, which we will NEED the last morning? I won't be able to lug all that off the ship myself in the morning.

Also, what do we do with all of our clothes and things that we're actually wearing/using the day before disembarking, if our suitcases are out in the hall??

Since we are within driving distance of the port, we will not be in a rush to get off the ship.

As far as the luggage, plan to pack the last afternoon but leave your luggage in the cabin when you go to dinner. They when you go back to your cabin after dinner change into your night clothes. Pack away the clothing you wore the last day, and leave out the clothing for your disembarkation day. Keep your toothbrush, etc. and valuables for your carry-on bags, which you will keep in your cabin. Then set your large luggage outside the door. Don't forget to save something to wear the last day!!

Are you taking a power chair? Are you also taking a manual chair? We put our travel commode and two carry-on duffle bags on the manual chair, and my dad pushes that. My mother drives her power chair, and I bring the travel lift. If you don't have that much help, arrange ahead of time with the front desk to have someone assist you and your lift & commode to the disabled waiting area on the ship (they usually designate a lounge for this). There are generally staff there to help you off the ship. Once you get through customs, you can find porters to help you to your car. This varies by the cruise line, so be sure to talk to them well before the end of the cruise.

Thanks Splinter.

My DH will be in a power chair. He cannot use a manual chair, so no reason to bring one. There won't be anyone else with us, so I'll take your advice and arrange to have someone from the ship help us the last morning.

Archived