using PVP vs. booking your own through Carnival.com

traci28

What is the benefits of using a PVP? I was under the assumption that a PVP would be able to get better rates then the carnival website quoted.

You can book it online, but if you call a PVP, you can ask for any Promo's that are not listed online etc. I like to call and talk to someone, I tried booking online once and I couldnt get past a page. I was glad that I called a PVP because I got a better deal that way.

Fred

Traci this is a very good question that I hope people take a look at and post feed back on. I went on line and took a look at a cruise on the Inspration in August and put in the DP3 code and got a very good price on. Im going to call my PVP when I get home next week and see what price she comes up with, but I dont think she will beat that price but you never know.

Personally I would use the PVP but get a comittment first that they will honor any special prices that become availabe. We booked a cruise online last fall thru discount center and the price dropped 3 times after we booked and we got the benefit of all decreases but you must keep an eye on specials as they may be there one day and gone the next. Call them each time the price decreases. It worked for us.

We always use our PVP--after we get a quote on Carnival's website first. A few weeks ago when we booked, he beat the price by about $150.00 and we got a 6D for the price of a 6A.:) We were thrilled!

It really does pay to call and talk to somebody personally in my opinion.

well just this week we decided that we would try to get away 2 weeks out...

found a deal on "that gnome" site and one of the "other big" sites went to carnivals site and it came up 100.00 more for the 2 of us....I called the carnival line and got someone.....told them what date I was looking at what ship and the prices I found on those other sites.....she did get us that rate and we got the very last room upgrade at that sale price..

.paid for the 4a rate and got the last 5A on the ship....never had a room with 2 portholes...always have had ocean view or balconey....

but hey at least its not chicago for 5 days in feb it will be IMagination!!!

13 days and counting

so it does pay to call

We always use our PVP--after we get a quote on Carnival's website first. A few weeks ago when we booked, he beat the price by about $150.00 and we got a 6D for the price of a 6A.:) We were thrilled!

It really does pay to call and talk to somebody personally in my opinion.

i did not think it was supposed to work this way. i thought you were supposed to get tha same price on line at their site as you wld from them by phone (unless a sale is so new, it hasn't made it to the website yet).

if you sign in and they have your PG# already there (which always happens w/ me when i sign in to get a quote), applicable sales rates are supposed to show.

i never book on line b/c i like talking to someone to make sure all is set. but i wld be interested in hearing from those who have booked on line if you get a pvp or cvs assigned to you, so you have someone specific to contact about your booking (esp. if a later sale arises). does this happen or are you left on your own?

first, if you are already booked, even on the Carnival site a PVP can't help or adjust your rate for you.

Second, The PVP's get the sales BEFORE the promos hit the sites - they are the company direct. And the websites don't always list everything and all the codes.

Third, the websites are only updated ever 24 hours....so for example - and it may have happened to some of you - a price reflected online can't be booked once you get all the way through the process. PVPs are live with the current rates and inventory when you can be looking at old informaiton.

Lastly, most online sites charge a booking fee - why do that when someone can do the work for you for free?!? Especially if you want to adjust your rate later - you have someone to talk to and advise you.

Food for thought - TAs also can do those same services they just have to call in directly - I can't understand for the life of me why someone would value the relationship with their computer over a live person who can give them a better deal and service.

"Lastly, most online sites charge a booking fee "

I'm not so sure about this. We're taking our 5th cruise next month and all five were booked online. We've never been charged a booking fee and we've used three different sites.

I'm not so sure about this. We're taking our 5th cruise next month and all five were booked online. We've never been charged a booking fee and we've used three different sites.

I think that is great that you found some that didn't! But like I said... MOST do. Nicely put into very small fine print.

I think that is great that you found some that didn't! But like I said... MOST do. Nicely put into very small fine print.

OK... so I'm kinda freaking out now. I booked online through carnival's website. Are you saying that if the price drops I wouldn't be able to get the new price because I didn't go through one of their PVPs? This is the only reason I DID book so early, so I wouldn't be afraid of any price drops in the next 10 months!!! :eek:

Now what do I do?

Nicole

OK... so I'm kinda freaking out now. I booked online through carnival's website. Are you saying that if the price drops I wouldn't be able to get the new price because I didn't go through one of their PVPs? This is the only reason I DID book so early, so I wouldn't be afraid of any price drops in the next 10 months!!! :eek:

Now what do I do?

Nicole

No, you can't ask a PVP to adjust it, you have to call the general 800 number and talk to a general customer service rep. its fine! you're fine! I

A PVP is a different process, and can lower it without you even being on top of it - some folks have found PVPs like this. But if you are on top of it yourself just call and check any time with the general service number.:D

Lastly, most online sites charge a booking fee - why do that when someone can do the work for you for free?!?

I have never been charged a booking fee either. I can assure you the PVP is not doing the work for free. You, the customer are paying for their service by paying the full non-discounted rate.

The only way to get a price break is to use a TA that will refund some of their comission. A PVP or TA has the same starting rate to work with. Regardless of whatever special you qualify for, it will be the same for the TA and the PVP. The only wiggle room from there is TA may rebate some comission.

first, if you are already booked, even on the Carnival site a PVP can't help or adjust your rate for you.

Second, The PVP's get the sales BEFORE the promos hit the sites - they are the company direct. And the websites don't always list everything and all the codes.

Third, the websites are only updated ever 24 hours....so for example - and it may have happened to some of you - a price reflected online can't be booked once you get all the way through the process. PVPs are live with the current rates and inventory when you can be looking at old informaiton.

Lastly, most online sites charge a booking fee - why do that when someone can do the work for you for free?!? Especially if you want to adjust your rate later - you have someone to talk to and advise you.

Food for thought - TAs also can do those same services they just have to call in directly - I can't understand for the life of me why someone would value the relationship with their computer over a live person who can give them a better deal and service.

again i lost my post!

i am totally lost w/ your post.:eek: totally. i don't think you are talking about the same thing as the rest of us. we are talking about booking on the Carnival site. carnival will adjust the booking if the rate drops b/4 final pymt. why do you say they wldn't????

my only question was whether there was a separate dept that handles internet bookings so that you could have an assigned pvp or cvs to turn to for future adjustments, or whether you'd have to cancel and re-biik.

You can bet that a TA whether they are live or an online site is getting paid for the work that they do. We have used the carnival PVP and will never go back. He even told us to email him every couple of weeks and he would credit us if the price dropped. We didn't even have to check any other sites or Carnival itself. He just did it. Now that is service.

I have never been charged a booking fee either. I can assure you the PVP is not doing the work for free. You, the customer are paying for their service by paying the full non-discounted rate.

The only way to get a price break is to use a TA that will refund some of their comission. A PVP or TA has the same starting rate to work with. Regardless of whatever special you qualify for, it will be the same for the TA and the PVP. The only wiggle room from there is TA may rebate some comission.

There are some websites that charge a booking fee. If you read the fine print you'll see it...usually around $15-$20.

TA's can rebate but the amount it completely dependant on how much YOU spend. I have had friends who've booked with a TA for $12 less but I would never give up the relationship I have with my PVP for a little rebate.

Also, I have never paid a full non-discounted rate for a Carnival cruise. My PVP always offers me a discount. This debate between TA's and PVP's will go on forever...

Getting back to the original question...I always talk to someone vs. booking online. There are so many promotions that we, the public, wouldn't even think to ask about. I use a PVP because it is a knowledgeable source for discounts, shore excursions etc. If you register on Carnival's wesbite one will start sending you emails. :D

I have cruised twice, both times through a Carnival Rep. I am a little confused on the terminology. I thought a PVP was your cruise line. I know TA is your travel agent, but is that what the web means when they say online- agent. Who is who and who has the better deals. Thanks for any help.:rolleyes:

We use a PVP exclusively. We do check prices at on-line sites. In fact, I found a great rate on line, called the PVP and she actually beat that price. She told me to keep watching and if I see a price drop, to call her and she will adjust our balance. (We are dealing with a new PVP, so I have no problems calling her instead of her calling me.) I personally like to look for myself so I know I'm getting the best deal I can.

Also, I have never paid a full non-discounted rate for a Carnival cruise. My PVP always offers me a discount. This debate between TA's and PVP's will go on forever...

If you have always booked with Carnival direct, you have always paid the full price...period. Now, Carnival may have given you a past guest, military, one day special...whatever discount off the book fare, but that is still the same price you could have gotten through a TA under the same special. With the right TA rebating some comission (lets say 8% for argument sake), you would have paid 8% less than you would have paid through a PVP.

Lets say your price after all discounts for a cruise was 2,000 (not counting tax, port charge, etc) through your PVP. If a TA gave you back 8%, you'd pay 1840 for the exact same thing.

That is what I was getting at. Granted , $160 isn't a big savings. My personal experience has always been a greater savings than my example, but then again I am booking 2 rooms, 8 days...you get the point. The more your cruise is going to cost, the greater the savings can be. I know that on my upcoming cruise, my TA beat the PVP by about $750. The PVP was nice, but $750 is not a small amount to me. And ever since I booked, the price has gone up, not down. Then again, its a spring break cruise. With kids, I often cannot cruise during the off peak times, which equates to paying top dollar from the start.

Wow, Carnival makes it sound like they are giving you the best deal. Clarification... when you refer to your PVP (Personal Vacation Planner)... does that mean Carnival. So... if I speak with an on-line company and they give me a price, through email or phone how can I get Carnival to know the deal that they are giving me.

You can book it online, but if you call a PVP, you can ask for any Promo's that are not listed online etc. I like to call and talk to someone, I tried booking online once and I couldnt get past a page. I was glad that I called a PVP because I got a better deal that way.

Fred

I agree. I got a state resident rate through a PVP, however the rate was not listed online. (It was however listed on one of the major travel websites, and that was how I knew to ask for it.)

Archived