Comparing Viking China & Amadeus Europe

WIT

Having enjoyed the Amadeus Christmas Markets cruise on the new in 2006 Amadagio, we wonder if anyone has an opinion of the new Viking Century Sun also new in 2006. We are doing the Cultural Delights tour with the Hong Kong add-on. Anyone out there taking this tour?

Skidaway, you are in for a treat! We did a slightly different itinerary with Viking in 2005 and they were superb. I wrote a journal with some photos that is located at http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/cmthomas/ if you haven't yet seen it.

My only comment is that in June plan for HOT weather. One of those small folding umbrellas as a sun shade would not be a bad idea.

Clarence:)

Recently we have reviewed the China cruise reports posted by many excellent reviewers. What a wonderful resource! Thanks to each of you for the time you spent to share your experiences. I and others to follow are your beneficiaries and I hope to follow your good example with a report after my April '07 Cultural Delights cruise.

I have read in various places that flights WITHIN China require locked luggage so one should bring a few spare locks as those in service are broken. Of course, flights within the USA must be unlocked or have TSA approved locks.

What actually happened with locks once you got to China?

We locked our luggage and saw no signs that there was any interest by the authorities in examining them. I doubt that the Chinese authorities have the keys to open TSA approved locks. We also carry the plastic devices that are used to secure electrical wires and can be obtained at any Home Depot or Lowe's store. You have to take a handful as they are destroyed every time you open them to get into your suitcase! But, they ARE inexpensive! They are nothing more than a deterrant and a way to keep you bag from accidentally coming open and spilling the contents.

As to your comment about trip reports, I could not agree more. We have learned much info not available anywhere else and have become smarter travel purchasers as a result.

We locked our luggage and saw no signs that there was any interest by the authorities in examining them. I doubt that the Chinese authorities have the keys to open TSA approved locks. We also carry the plastic devices that are used to secure electrical wires and can be obtained at any Home Depot or Lowe's store. You have to take a handful as they are destroyed every time you open them to get into your suitcase! But, they ARE inexpensive! They are nothing more than a deterrant and a way to keep you bag from accidentally coming open and spilling the contents.

As to your comment about trip reports, I could not agree more. We have learned much info not available anywhere else and have become smarter travel purchasers as a result.

• 2 weeks later...
When we went in Aug. on the Cultural delights tour we just left our luggage unlocked....where did you read it was required to lock your luggage on the intra flights? I thought it only was a suggestion for safety of your belongings.

Lori - I had seen the requirement mentioned in various places - usually on a tour company website like:

http://www.chinaspree.com/china-tour-information.htm

I guess I'll get a few cable ties (thanks, Clarence) and hope for the best.

Archived