QE2 "Informal" at Breakfast?

ggo85

Another QE2 question (which is why it's here and not in the fashion thread). I fully understand the dress code for dinner -- tuxes on formal nights; suits on informal; always a jacket for the men; equivalent attire for the ladies. And I know there is a casual buffet restaurant and/or room service for those who don't want to "dress." But what about breakfast and lunch attire for women who do want to dine in the Grille restaurants?

Guys can throw a jacket over khakis and a collared shirt and be ok, but the equivalent for a woman is more complicated. Can anyone tell me what women wear for breakfast and lunch in the Grille on sea days? And what about breakfast when you're heading out on a shore excursion? Do you "dress up" for breakfast then run back to your room and change into more casual clothes to go ashore?

Any tips would be helpful.

Another QE2 question (which is why it's here and not in the fashion thread). I fully understand the dress code for dinner -- tuxes on formal nights; suits on informal; always a jacket for the men; equivalent attire for the ladies. And I know there is a casual buffet restaurant and/or room service for those who don't want to "dress." But what about breakfast and lunch attire for women who do want to dine in the Grille restaurants?

Guys can throw a jacket over khakis and a collared shirt and be ok, but the equivalent for a woman is more complicated. Can anyone tell me what women wear for breakfast and lunch in the Grille on sea days? And what about breakfast when you're heading out on a shore excursion? Do you "dress up" for breakfast then run back to your room and change into more casual clothes to go ashore?

Any tips would be helpful.

No tips really needed.

There is no dress code at breakfast and lunch. No need for jackets, ties or anything.

And although I'd not think of coming down to the restaurant in the evening - whatever the advertised dress code - without a jacket and tie, I'd never think of wearing one at lunch either.

Matthew

One of the smartest-dressed women on a recent crossing I did said she, too, had fashion-worry, once. Said she just looked at the brochure photos and dressed like that. It worked for her.

Now you have me thinking, looking around the rooms in my memory .... when I did the Queens Grill the morning dress was clean, comfortable and casual, not over-the-top new. Rather what you'd see worn at the country club on kid's day.

Thanks for the replies. I know I sound crazy, but when I talked to the Cunard person on the phone, she said that men "always" had to wear at least a jacket at all meals and that, if you wore jeans on board (any time, period), you'd probably be sent back to your room to change -- not that I was planning on jeans in the summer in the Med, but that's what she said.

We've been on many cruises and I know this one will be a bit different in the dress category -- whatever it is, is ok as long as we're prepared. Just don't want to look like "ugly Americans" (not that we're ugly, of course!:)) or boors.

So, to sum up the dress code is for dinner and, for other meals, presentable and neat clothing (even nice shorts?) is okay?

Thanks for the replies. I know I sound crazy, but when I talked to the Cunard person on the phone, she said that men "always" had to wear at least a jacket at all meals and that, if you wore jeans on board (any time, period), you'd probably be sent back to your room to change -- not that I was planning on jeans in the summer in the Med, but that's what she said.

We've been on many cruises and I know this one will be a bit different in the dress category -- whatever it is, is ok as long as we're prepared. Just don't want to look like "ugly Americans" (not that we're ugly, of course!:)) or boors.

So, to sum up the dress code is for dinner and, for other meals, presentable and neat clothing (even nice shorts?) is okay?

I have never worn jeans on the QE2 never even packed them, but all of my time on the QE2 has been crossing the Atlantic which is usually more formal that 'cruises'. With that said, if you in a warm weather port that day I suppose lighter attire such as jeans/outerwear may suffice if you were getting off the ship after breakfast. Otherwise for guys would be at least a nice pair of pants (Docker's/khaki) and a polo/button down shirt. Business casual. No ties or jackets required for breakfast/lunch.

On warm weather days when people are outside taking in the sun/pool you will see bathing suits and such attire but they are not allowed in the dining rooms.

Judging strictly by the propensity to what I have seen, keep the jeans/shorts for outside/offshore and smart casual for day wear.

Cunard WOULD LIKE, at least for the QE2, to ensure proper or even overproper dress on the ship so fashion standards don't slip. Most long term veterans know what works for them/surroundings.

Never, ever, believe Cunard shoreside.

But your summary is correct, save that forget the shorts!

Matthew

When I talked to the Cunard person on the phone, she said that men "always" had to wear at least a jacket at all meals and that, if you wore jeans on board (any time, period), you'd probably be sent back to your room to change -- not that I was planning on jeans in the summer in the Med, but that's what she said.

Cunard have a quite different opinion of what happens on their ships from those who actually go on their ships!

Said she just looked at the brochure photos and dressed like that. It worked for her.

I think that implies the ship is dressier than she actually is - If you look at the brochures you'd think that every night was formal, nobody would dream of wearing something from Marks and Sparks and Jeans could not be worn anywhere at any time!

Cunard WOULD LIKE, at least for the QE2, to ensure proper or even overproper dress on the ship so fashion standards don't slip.

That's funny - I thought that Cunard were trying to reduce the Dress Code, it was the ship's staff and most of the passengers who wanted to help keep the formality.

I personally would never wear jeans onboard (though I have seen some people do so). Shorts, t-shirts, sweat clothes, and sneakers all have there place, but it is not in the QE2 dining rooms! When my luggage actually makes the trip, I tend towards khakis or wool trousers with simple tops or cashmere sweaters for day. For evening, I follow thetop end of the posted dress code; floor length gowns for formal nights, cocktail dresses for semiformal and daytime dresses or skirt outfit for casual (unless it has been a long shore day in which case I might go to dinner in nice pants and a sweater).

I think one of the joys of a voyage on the QE2 is dressing up and being surrounded by other well dressed people. It is only the concerted efforts of the passengers who love this ship and its traditions that keep the experience as special as it is.

Julia

That's funny - I thought that Cunard were trying to reduce the Dress Code, it was the ship's staff and most of the passengers who wanted to help keep the formality.

I have never been told specifically by a Cunard corporate agent as such, but as I have seen personally and seen in general that the attire of cruising in general has been on the decline for years. Mainly having to do with the fact that as it grows in popularity it is less a boutique activity and now a mass-market activity.

No more so than NCL when we were on the Majesty in December of 05 I packed one tux and one suit plus assorted casual wear (it was a warm weather Caribbean cruise with port calls). I knew that NCL was probably the most casual of the big cruise lines, but I was shocked that even on the one formal night I didn't even put on the tux and felt I was pushing it with a jacket and a tie (Captain's Party Night).

That is one of the things to appreciate about Cunard, and the QE2 specifically, is that it is the closest thing to traditional cruising, old-fashion ship travel as you are going to get. Especially on the transatlantics in the colder months went outside time is at a minimum.

Especially with the QE2, there are so many people who are loyal regulars that the ship is an institution unto itself unlike almost any other ship at sea. So people tend to find a niche for themselves among the atmosphere, attire included that both goes with their style and the general upscale but not flashy (new money) style of the ship.

Archived