HAL Single Cabins

FinelyRetired

Looking for any info/experience with cabins designated as "Single" on HAL.

Have booked a designated "single" cabin on Prinsendam(odd shape on deck plan) and am wondering if anyone has any info on HAL's singles in general relative to size/configuaration or experience with them.

Have attempted this question on both the "Solo" thread and the "Cabin Selection" thread and have rec'd no response so far.

Called HAL on Thursday for a description of 2 specifically designated "Singles" on Prinsendam (Q100&101) and the individual I spoke to had no knowledge of them and said they'd have "Ship Services" call me on Friday. No call rec'd.

I hope that the "Host" does not "move" this thread to the "Solo" or "Cabin Selection" thread as I have a posting there as well.

Thanks, as always

The Prinsendam is the only HAL ship with single cabins. I think they are R501,Q100 and Q101. You should be able to locate these cabins on a deck plan.

HAL offers one of the least costly solo suppliments of all the major cruise lines on all sails, as well as a share program where they will match you up with a fellow, same sex solo and each travels at the designated PP fare. If HAL can't find a match, you get the cabin without a suppliment.

hammybee:

Thanks for your prompt response! I did not know that Prinsendam had the only singles cabins on HAL! And, you're quite right about which they are! I'm booked into Q101. It WAS a really "fair" price (if any can be truly called that:) )for a single!

My purpose for posting is also to try to find out any info on Q100 and 101 on Prinsendam in particular. They are foremost on the deck plan and have an unusual shape as opposed to the other Oceanview cabins on this ship. I am interested in exactly what the configuration is: ie. where is the bed placed? Does the cabin window accommodate a chair in front of it(as in other Oceanviews on Prinsendam)? Or, is this another of those cases where the window is above the headboard :(? It appears to be a "single" bed configuration...but have had no input re: room configuration.

I'm hoping that someone who has this type of knowledge about these cabins responds!

Thanks, again, hammybee, for your info.

Martha

Thanks, again, hammybee:

I had not checked sagacruises! They go where I want to go(Baltic), but they are still quite a bit more $$$ than these 2 single cabins on HAL Prinsendam if I compare this year's saga prices to the 2008 fare I booked through HAL. I'll keep my eyes open there for sure in the next months and try to see their 2008 itinerary. I think I'll call them this week for further info. Thanks for offering them up as a potential option!

I'm also monitoring Lindblad for a Baja California cruise that also seems, though tiny, not to discriminate too awfully the single cruiser.

Thanks for posting here, Martha. As I mentioned on another thread I am also booked in Q100 for the Top of the World cruise this July and have the same questions you do about the configuration, etc. of these two outside cabins.

There is still time for me to book another outside cabin, but I like the location of this one and the price, of course, is better.

You are all correct in that HAL is more accommodating to solo travelers. I usually sail on Princess and pay anywhere from 160% to 200%. This will be my first HAL trip, but I'm sure not my last. I am very much looking forward to experiencing this lovely ship.

Pat

Martha, because I often travel solo I'd also like to see those Prinsendam cabins. I searched Webshots (and flipped through ALL the Prinsendam photos) with no luck. I can only suggest you persist with Ship's Services - I know they send out pictures of handicapped cabins on request.

Usually I also cruise alone. i have try the share program a few times,

it went quite well. but sharing your stateroom with a stranger

is not fun , I am alone again next time in the fall. this time I have the stateroom to my self . i found the prices for a single person rate quite reasonable. I didn't know about the Prinsendam having single rooms.

I will definitely look into it for a future cruise.

Looking for any info/experience with cabins designated as "Single" on HAL.

I don't think HAL has "designated" single cabins on their ships. The Prisendam is an exception in that it is not a traditional HAL vessel.

Singles can book a lower category (smaller) inside cabin that will still accommodate two, and they will get it for a 140% to 150% single supplement ... not a bad deal. Some sailings might offer even better price breaks for singles.

I've found HAL to be one of the most single friendly lines out there. The only better deals I've found for singles have been on the luxury lines ... and those have a much higher base cruise price.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Cunard's QE2 has several single cabins in various classes. I imagine any cruise ship that dates back to liner days has likewise.

I've heard, though, that if you're gonna book one of those single cabins on the QE2, you'd better know what you're doing or have a TA who does. Those single cabins are not "standard," by any means. Some are of a decent size, but some are ridiculously tiny ... like 71 square feet. They were originally used as "nanny's quarters" when families brought their nannies along to help with the children. Pretty much they have room for a single bed and a wardrobe closet ... a tiny wardrobe.

I'd be real careful when booking them. I'd want to be working with a TA who was very familiar with Cunard. The QE2 is not like the cruise ships of today where pretty much all cabins in a stated category are about the same size. The cabins on the QE2 differ widely ... even within the same category ... so be really careful, especially when booking singles accommodations.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita:

Yes, you're correct. It appears from an earlier poster that Prinsendam is only HAL ship with designated "single" cabins that are only sold specifically to solos? .... and price was very fair by industry standards, approx 140% of a standard oceanview. So, I've booked one.

Cabins Q100 & Q101 are on Upper Promenade deck on Prinsendam, farthest forward on deck plan. They are oceanview & best I've learned are approx 181 sq ft. (Inside, at any price, is not an option for me.) If you look at the deck plan, their shape appears unique and most I can determine is it is a single bed .....but I've looked everywhere, in vain, for a floorplan for these 2 particular cabins. I want to know that the bed.....whatever it is.....does NOT have its headboard under the window. Other oceanviews on the Prinsendam appear to have the beds on walls adjacent to window, allowing a chair to be pulled up for viewing.

I will "nudge" Ships Services again early this week again for further info since no one who has ever sailed in them has responded either here or the "Solo" thread or the "Cabin Selection" thread.

You sound like you've got a few "solo" cruises under your belt and I thank you for your input.

Martha

Hi Pat, Fann1sh & Rita;

Per HAL's Ship Services today: Prinsendam's Singles Q100 & 101 are 191 sq ft, full window (not portholes), one single bed under window and there is a hallway door next to them that opens to Upper Promenade Deck.

Excellent customer service from Rita in Reservations and Katrina in Ship Services.

Martha

Per HAL's Ship Services today: Prinsendam's Singles Q100 & 101 are 191 sq ft, full window (not portholes), one single bed under window and there is a hallway door next to them that opens to Upper Promenade Deck.

Wonder why only a single bed? 191 square feet seems more than ample room for a regular double bed.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Martha,

Wonderful news!! Sounds great - thank you so much for following up with them. I am impressed customer service was able to get back to you. I guess we are all set now. I did get a reply from Grumpy on this board - he indicated there could be extra room due to the absence of the second bed and the shower rather than tub. That wasn't anything I had considered, but certainly makes sense.

Anyway, happy sailing - enjoy your cruise - hope to actually meet on one of these great adventures.

Pat

Rita:

Not sure why just the one bed. Maybe it is a "double" bed, but, whatever, there's only one. No twin/conversion option. Older ship? Only solos can book these rooms. Soooooo far forward maybe a big minus for some folk. Perhaps, the fact that it's priced fairly for the solos, it has some "following" as do some older, smaller ships? Shape of room is on a diagonal......maybe they never could figure how to fit twin beds/w. a conversion option in it?

But, you're quite right, 191 sq ft is generous.

Martha

Hi All,

You might want to check the HAL inside cabin thread - there have been a few responses there regarding these outside single rooms. The consensus there seems to be these just can't be 191 sq ft. I guess we'll know when we actually get there!

And I hope you'll be so kind as to let us know.

I was thinking the same thing ... if there's only one single bed in the cabin ... and I am assuming "single" bed means just that ... a single twin ... then the cabin must either be an odd shaped one where a double bed wouldn't really fit, or the cabin itself must be considerably smaller than 191 square feet, and thus the single bed allows more floor space for walking around. Then a single bed would make sense. After all, if only one person is occupying the cabin, a single twin bed would be adequate. Might not be desireable for those of us who like to have some room to roll around when we sleep ... but it would certainly be adequate.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Pat:

Bravo if you're really packing a tape measure! Do resist the urge to measure yourself half way through the cruise!??!! :) Enjoy your sailing.

It will be interesting to see the actual size of your room. It'll be great regardless. Love your proximity to Upper Promenade for walks.

Don't know about your cruise, but on the HAL site Fare Summary for June '08, Prinsendam outside cabins C thru H are sold/listed at 181 sq ft and Q is sold/listed as 191 sq ft. That was "confirmed" by HAL Ship Services yesterday. And, CruiseStateroom.com lists Prinsendam's Outside Categories C-Q as "average 181-191 sq ft." Could be no one has represented these rooms correctly for a long time.

Have a wonderful trip.

Martha

• 6 months later...

Hi Pat:

I hope your cruise was wonderful. Ruth C posted a Happy Wanderer thread which I avidly followed and I felt I was along for the ride.

Bumping this ancient thread up front today so it will be easy for you to locate if you find a moment to let us know about your Q100 Single Cabin.

Thanks, Pat. Welcome Home.

Martha

• 7 years later...
hammybee:

Thanks for your prompt response! I did not know that Prinsendam had the only singles cabins on HAL! And, you're quite right about which they are! I'm booked into Q101. It WAS a really "fair" price (if any can be truly called that:) )for a single!

My purpose for posting is also to try to find out any info on Q100 and 101 on Prinsendam in particular. They are foremost on the deck plan and have an unusual shape as opposed to the other Oceanview cabins on this ship. I am interested in exactly what the configuration is: ie. where is the bed placed? Does the cabin window accommodate a chair in front of it(as in other Oceanviews on Prinsendam)? Or, is this another of those cases where the window is above the headboard :(? It appears to be a "single" bed configuration...but have had no input re: room configuration.

I'm hoping that someone who has this type of knowledge about these cabins responds!

Thanks, again, hammybee, for your info.

Martha

I found this OLD post when I was searching for info on cabin Q 101. I have not found any reviews of the cabin online. Did you like Q101? How was it configured? I'm booked in Q101 in 2016 and would appreciate any info you have.

Please reply to linvillese@gmail.com

Sue Ellen

Edited by milwaukeecruiser
Add email address

I found this OLD post when I was searching for info on cabin Q 101. I have not found any reviews of the cabin online. Did you like Q101? How was it configured? I'm booked in Q101 in 2016 and would appreciate any info you have.

Please reply to linvillese@gmail.com

Sue Ellen

The OP of this thread, FinelyRetired, has not posted on this forum in almost 6 years, and not on any forum for almost a year, so you are highly unlikely to get a reply from him/her. I believe RuthC has stayed in one of the Prinsendam single cabins, but she is cruising starting this Sunday and may already be gone. I hope someone else can help you.

A bit of advice: it's not a good idea to post your email in an explicit format, as spammers may pick it up easily. At least use linvillese at gmail dot com. :)

Edited by jtl513