Sydney Port Review

roberts2005

Sydney was our port of embarkation. It is very easy to get to the ship from any hotel. The cost of the cab for us was less than $20.00 Australian.

We booked on our at the Sheraton on the Park. The hotel was excellent and the service superb.

Sydney is one of the great cities of the world. Try to arrive early or stay longer after your cruise. We arrived 5 days early and still could have had more time. The harbor cruise is a must. There are several versions, we did the basic one and enjoyed it. If you don’t mind heights the bridge climb is a lot of fun. On one of our days we arranged for a driver to take us to the Blue Mountains. This again if you have the time is well worth it. On our way back we stopped by Bondi beach for a quick look. The opera house tour, or an opera is a must. The rest of our time was spent walking around Sydney. There are great restaurants and compared to New York they are bargains. It is a very easy and comfortable city to walk in.

Robert S.

so glad you enjoyed your time in our wonderful city.

i know a lot of people stay at the 4 seasons, i am sure you can just walk from there to the ship unless you had a ton of luggage and couldnt pull it.

karon

Robert,

We too love the Sheraton on the Park and have stayed there many times. Sydney is wonderful city with so much to see and do. Sydney Harbour to me is the loveliest harbour in the world and we have been to all the great ones. On a sunny day what can beat the view of the Harbour Bridge, the Opera House and the ferries going backwards and forwards across the water.

It is my second favourite city after my home city of Melbourne.

Jennie

Jennie

We were very disappointed that we didn't get to Melbourne. Our port had been changed to geelong due to a special blessing of the fishing fleet by the local greek community. We were to dock at Cunningham pier, however it was later determined that the Statendam was to big for the pier. We were then scheduled to tender into geelong, but winds were too stong and the captain cancelled the visit. Next time.

Robert

Robert,

I may be mistaken but I thought that you had arranged for a car to be sent for your party to be taken to Melbourne for the day. What a pity to have missed out and not have visited our lovely city.

The Blessing of the Fleet is an annual event and is always held at Port Melbourne where the Statendam would have tied up. It is a pity that both were scheduled on the same day. As Melbourne is the third largest Greek city in the world, (over 600,000 Greeks) there would be no way for this event to be postponed.

Jennie

Archived