Poll - Has your luggage ever not made it to your stateroom?

BlessedBeingMom

Has a cruiseline ever lost any of your luggage?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Has a cruiseline ever lost any of your luggage?

• Luggage has always made it to my stateroom the first day.
    • Luggage (or part of it) has arrived a day or two late.
    • Luggage (or part of it) was lost for most of my cruise.
    • Luggage (or part of it) was lost for the entire cruise but found before we went home.
    • Luggage (or part of it) was lost forever by the cruiseline.

Has any of your luggage ever not made it to your stateroom, or made it to your stateroom late? I mean any part of your luggage (not necessarily all of it)? I am a worrier and I think I am most worried about this (well other than about getting seasick). I am not asking about whether the airline has lost your luggage, just the porters/cruise, etc. Thanks!

P.S. Feel free to tell more about your story below.

I have never had a problem it has always arrived lasted it ever did was 8 pm on first night once. I also tip very heavily when I check them in LOL. But every cruise I have been on there was at least one couple whose baggage never made it. for this reason I ALWAYS pack every suitcase including carry on with items to make it through a week if I had too, basic dress outfit, bathing suit etc. that was if any bag arrives you have the basics of what you need or you have them in carry on, and can improvise from there. Most people don't have a problem though.

I had one of my two pieces of luggage not show up until very late the first night. I was particularly concerned because it was a Transatlantic and if it wasn't on the ship the first night, it wouldn't be on any other night. But it did show up eventually. Not having any luggage for a 6-night crossing was one of my nightmare scenarios so I had packed 2 changes of clothes in my small carry-on.

On my last (and only) cruise I had a bag that never showed up. We had 4 pieces and only 3 made it. The one that was missing had all but 2 pairs of my shoes, my bath items/face cleaner, contact solution, all of my medicine and bug spray and sunscreen.

SO....I didn't have my tennis shoes and had to cancel my horseback riding excursion. I didn't have my seasick medicine, but luckily a girl at my table gave me some. We didn't have sunscreen but people lent us some. I bought contact solution for like $8 or some horrible price, and the cruise ship lent me UGLY black shoes to wear with my formal dress.

I had to wear my 2 pairs of sandals with everything....luckily one was pretty comfortable, but I sure was missing my tennis shoes by the end of the trip. My feet were hurting! :(

I did get a $25 per day onboard credit because I was inconveneinced, and we got VIP debarkation to search for our bag. No dice. We had to leave without it. I was ready to chalk it off. There was a man who hadn't received his bag, too, but we were the only ones on the whole cruise.

The day after we got home we got a phone call saying "You forgot your bag here at the port, and if you want us to ship it to you, you'll have to pay for postage." My husband quickly set them straight that it had been lost the whole time, and they shipped it to us. I was so happy to have it back!! I missed my shoes.;)

I really did have a wonderful cruise, though. I didn't let it get me down and don't even remember it unless something reminds me of it.

So...hopefully my next cruise (in March) the same won't happen! I think it's pretty rare.

All of our luggage showed up in the hallway outside our cabin door (with the exception of my hanging bag). Well needless to say, I panicked. I was just about to go report it missing when I looked down the hall and saw it was a couple of doors down. Outside of someone else's cabin. Whew, what a relief!

My daughter's in-laws and her MIL's twin sister cruised about two years ago and their luggage didn't show up for 4 or 5 days. The ship actually loaned them clothes for formal night. It turned out their luggage had been delivered to another cabin and these people just kept the luggage in their cabin knowing it wasn't theirs and never bothered to report it. Eventually a cabin steward or someone noticed and it was finally delivered by the end of the cruise. What a fiasco!!

My daughter's in-laws and her MIL's twin sister cruised about two years ago and their luggage didn't show up for 4 or 5 days. The ship actually loaned them clothes for formal night. It turned out their luggage had been delivered to another cabin and these people just kept the luggage in their cabin knowing it wasn't theirs and never bothered to report it. Eventually a cabin steward or someone noticed and it was finally delivered by the end of the cruise. What a fiasco!!

I think that is downright evil that somebody wouldn't report that they had luggage that wasn't theirs! What were they thinking! That is really a terrible story.

Ours has always shown up on the first day, but on our Southern Caribbean cruise one of our bags was missing when we claimed them at debarkation in Miami. We searched through every bag and it was nowhere to be found. We had to file a report and they assured me they would find it and ship it to us at no charge.

Well, two weeks later it arrived, but it was COD. I paid the $30 because I wanted my bag! I called Carnival and they wanted me to fill out a bunch of paperwork and such and I just never did it. When we were booking our next cruise, I mentioned it to the TA and she got on the phone right then and talked with Carnival. They discounted the cruise we were booking by $600! Not bad for a $30 "investment." :) Truth is, I would have been satisfied if they'd discounted the cruise by $30. ;)

Jayne

:)

Thank goodness out luggage has always arrives safely and in a timely manor but on out last cruise there was a family with 3 very young children, actually it was the airlines that lost the luggage and it was never found, atleast not the whole week we were on the ship, it was so sad, the family was stuck with no diapers, formula or anything else for those babies.

Just a question as I'm new to cruising. What is considered carry on luggage? My daughter and I are traveling in March and are able to take care ofour luggage. Does it have to be checked in with the porters or can we take care of it ourselves?

Thanks for any suggestions!:confused:

On the RCCL Empress of The Seas out of Puerto Rico to St. Martin and St. Thomas, my bag arrived in the stateroom, but my friends didn't. By around 8:00 pm we asked our cabin attendant where we should go to inquire about it. He told us to go down to the front desk and tell them the luggage never arrived. When we got there, the lobby was a sea of luggage. We had no trouble spotting my friends luggage as her name tag and a bright green ribbon was on the handle. The ship luggage tag had been ripped off, as well as a fluorescent green tag I had made up. Not sure how so many bags lost their tags, but baggage handlers sure can be careless. I would estimate at least 500 pieces of luggage were sitting in the lobby waiting to be claimed. But at least we found her suitcase so we had clothes for the cruise.:p

Just a question as I'm new to cruising. What is considered carry on luggage? My daughter and I are traveling in March and are able to take care ofour luggage. Does it have to be checked in with the porters or can we take care of it ourselves?

Thanks for any suggestions!:confused:

A carry on is a piece of luggage small enough to fit thru the x-ray machine, anything larger will have to be checked with the porter.

Would the scanners for the ship be around the same size as the ones the airlines use??

If so, we are planning on keeping our luggage with us.

Thanks for all your help to those previous cruisers!

Carnival's xray machine openings are 18"x24".

I can't believe that couple that kept someone else's luggage!!:mad: On one cruise DH and I were on they kept putting someone's red luggage in our room. We kept contacting our steward so it could be delivered to it's rightful owners. The next morning luggage still sitting outside our room, tell steward, come back later to find it in our cabin, again. We checked the tags and went and knocked on that cabins door. It wasn't theirs. We called the front desk asked for the couple who's name was on the tags, were put through and told them we had their luggage. They were elderly and had been switched from their original cabin, so WE hauled their luggage up to them.

What made this even more frustrating was that ALL my luggage and one of hubby's was NEVER delivered to us. We walked all over that ship looking for it. Had no choice but to make the most of it and enjoy my carefree no makeup/hair in a pony tail tropical vacation....or gripe and fuss the whole time. I chose to enjoy the cruise. DH was more upset than I was but I didn't want to waste those 7 days pouting.

I have never had a problem it has always arrived lasted it ever did was 8 pm on first night once. I also tip very heavily when I check them in LOL. But every cruise I have been on there was at least one couple whose baggage never made it. for this reason I ALWAYS pack every suitcase including carry on with items to make it through a week if I had too, basic dress outfit, bathing suit etc. that was if any bag arrives you have the basics of what you need or you have them in carry on, and can improvise from there. Most people don't have a problem though.

This quote above is excellent advice. I tip the porters very well and have never had a problem.

Unbelievable! I would be so mad if that happened to me!

Didn't vote as there was no option I could choose from.

But on last cruise when we got back from muster it wasn't there so we went looking. See what happened was after giving over our luggage and going to check in we found out that we were in a different cabin than our doc stated. So of course our tags had the incorrect cabin number. So we just went to the other cabin and there was our luggage.

If it had not been there then we would have gone to the front desk and inquired. This was on MSC.

Now prior we have cruised on Princess and even when there was a cabin number change always got luggage prior to sailing.

Didn't vote as there was no option I could choose from.

But on last cruise when we got back from muster it wasn't there so we went looking. See what happened was after giving over our luggage and going to check in we found out that we were in a different cabin than our doc stated. So of course our tags had the incorrect cabin number. So we just went to the other cabin and there was our luggage.

If it had not been there then we would have gone to the front desk and inquired. This was on MSC.

Now prior we have cruised on Princess and even when there was a cabin number change always got luggage prior to sailing.

I didn't vote either for the same reason, except our misplaced luggage was on the Grand Princess. We also brought out luggage back to our cabin. We were just glad we found it!

3 out of 4 bags made it to our cabin within hours of boarding- there was a notice in our cabin that we should give the stewards til 9:30 p.m. to deliver all the bags- at 10 we went to pursers desk to ask about our bag- they pointed us to an area where bags without tags were being kept to see if our bag was there- it was there- our tag had been torn off somehow- my advice to all is to put a bag tag on the handle at the end of the bag and on the handle in the middle of the bag- hopefully one will remain intact so they can deliver to correct cabin-

this has only happened to us once in 10 cruises- oddly enough that same bag was put on the wrong flt coming home- swa found it and returned it to us the next day after arriving home from the cruise....:)

The airline lost my luggage on a cruise out of Copenhagen to Fjords of Norway on the Constellation in 2002. I was 8 days without luggage. Thanks that they didn't loose my wife's luggage. It is amazing how little you can get by with if need be. Cruise line loaned me a tux,shoes, and shirt and I bought a sweater, and a bathing suit. Hard to buy pants aboard ship. Had an extra pair pants and shirt along with undies in carryon.

Bergen, Norway was the first port I could get it.

Had a wonderful cruise but we did not do I usual thing of cross packing. When we left the ship to fly to Manchester, Eng, would believe the airline lost my wife's luggage. We had crossed packed this time. Her luggage caught up with us in 3 days touring England.

Archived