Sting Ray Question - Dangerous?

lindalo5032

OK, this is probably a dumb question, but here goes:

Are the sting rays in Grand Cayman the same type that killed Steve Irwin? If so, how can you know that it is safe to be that close to them?

Just wondering....

Also, is the water too deep for a five year old? Or is this something she would enjoy?

Hello!

I am not sure if these rays are the same rays that killed Steve, but I don't think so. My husband and I did this excursion 8 years ago and had the best time. We are going to do it again in May. The rays are very gentle. Just make sure you shuffle your feet when you walk as they naturally bury themselves in the sand. Make sure you tell your child not to pull on them. You can touch them but don't try to hurt them or they may hurt you. As long as you are gentle, they are too. I am not sure how old you need to be but the water is about 3-6 ft deep.

I hope you have a great time. It really is an amazing experience.

2 people did get "bit" on our tour. A little bleeding on their arm. It happened when they were trying to feed the stingrays. I would think that you could stay close to the boat and go at your own pace with your comfort level. They are a bit scary, but it was awesome as everyone says. It's not that you think they will attack and you'll die, it's just sort of freaky. Almost everyone in our group was a little nervous and freaked, but everyone also totally loved it.

Eh it has crossed your mind that these ARE wild animals right?? well yes then there is a potential... HOWEVER most of these animals are born into this interactive situation and have played around with the stupid two legged verity for as long as they have been around.

Another thing to remember these the GC Rays are not penned up in any way they are free to come and go as they please. This would allow any ray to choose if and when it wants to interact or not.

Those bites are more like hickies - but they can happen.

As for taking a 5 year old - well use a private operator (Tours offered by the cruiselines are often over crowed) Let others in to the water and once everyone is off the boat see if the child wants to get in at all or if just watching isn't more comfortable..... You will have to experiment a little and just see what happens. If it does want to get into the water stay sort of near one of the guides.... they are often quite helpful as well as watchful...

You have a better chance of walking out your front door and getting hit by a car than getting killed by a Sting Ray.

They are wild but very gentle & tame.

I started taking my DD when she was 5 and she had no problems, the water is shallow and calm.

It is probably one of the least threatening and safest excursions in the Caribbean.

I put cave tubing, zip lining, 4 wheel driving the jungles, crawling up waterfalls ect.. way more dangerous than Sting Ray City.

By the way, i also do all of the above:)

These rays have a hard tail that is not terribly long and not particularly sharp. It is very hard and rough almost like concrete and about the size around of a pinky. Steve Irwin dove in on top of the ray and was pierced by this hard "stinger". You will not be stung or hurt meerly by coming into contact with the stinger. The water was a bit more than waist deep on me and I'm 5' 2". You may need to hold you 5 year old most of the time, we had to hold the 12 year old some. It was overwhelming for her. She never understood that just coming into contact with the stinger would not cause a sting. If your 5 year old is an adventurous type, go for it. If this is a child who is easily frightened, maybe not. You also have the option of letting the child stay on the boat if he/she is too frightened to get into the water. There was a family on our tour whose child spent most of the time in the boat.

These stingrays are used to people. Large groups comes several times a day to bring them lots of tasty squid.

Archived