Could NCL refuse a temporary hold or a reservation?

Lotteryfan

That is one question that I don't think has been discussed here before.

For the past several months I must have contacted over two dozen different travel agents/web sites looking for the best price on a back to back cruise. Many times I have had to give my personal information to these travel agents, such as name, address, and latitudes number, before they would even give me a quote. Apparently, after getting rates from NCL, many of the travel agents would put a temporary hold with my information to lock in the price. However, each time I received their rate quotes, I would not book as most of them were a lot higher than I wanted to pay. Meanwhile there were all these holds put into place temporarily.

Over the weekend, one of the travel agents that I had contacted for a price, wrote:

"I spoke to my contact at NCL and he indicated you had several reservations in place. As you know, all of them have cancelled."

This got me very nervous because although I do plan on booking another NCL cruise very shortly, I do not want to face the situation of not being allowed a temporary hold or a reservation. Has this ever happened to anyone? Have the travel agents that post here come across this problem before? I am afraid that I will be banished from NCL if I don't make a travel agent decision soon.

Thanks for your feedback.

this is a bit confusing: yes, after x number of days the reservation should automatically cancel, but perhaps the system does keep a record. My advise, don't give out the information. Other than possibly a good latitude price there is no reason for the TA to get all that info. We do like to know what state you are living in and a few details like that to get the best available rate, but I never put a hold on a reservation unless the client asked me too. Well. I shouldn't say that: i have, when I have been 99% sure he/she would want it, they are regular cliants and the product or price is selling out fast. NMnita

this is a bit confusing: yes, after x number of days the reservation should automatically cancel, but perhaps the system does keep a record. My advise, don't give out the information. Other than possibly a good latitude price there is no reason for the TA to get all that info. We do like to know what state you are living in and a few details like that to get the best available rate, but I never put a hold on a reservation unless the client asked me too. Well. I shouldn't say that: i have, when I have been 99% sure he/she would want it, they are regular cliants and the product or price is selling out fast. NMnita

Nita I believe all TA's put a temporary hold on anything they quote. Then if the client wants to book it the reservation can me made permanent. Suppose your TA gave you a quote which you liked and asked them to book; in the meantime the prices changed or the cabin category filled, etc.. your travel agent would have to come back to you and give you a different quote which I'm sure would be upsetting. In your specific case I'm sure the TA was irritated you were obviously shopping around which was evident from the number of temporary holds in your name. I'm sure it will not affect you in future reservations.

I know in my office, unless you're a regular client, we never put a hold on anything. When I give out all quotes I pretty much tell everyone that that's what the price is right now and is subject to change and that if you like we can put it on hold for a time. We're a small town agency, but I think a lot of the bigger ones, want all your contact info to put in the data base before they give you anything.

Take care,

Michael

Nita I believe all TA's put a temporary hold on anything they quote. Then if the client wants to book it the reservation can me made permanent. Suppose your TA gave you a quote which you liked and asked them to book; in the meantime the prices changed or the cabin category filled, etc.. your travel agent would have to come back to you and give you a different quote which I'm sure would be upsetting. In your specific case I'm sure the TA was irritated you were obviously shopping around which was evident from the number of temporary holds in your name. I'm sure it will not affect you in future reservations.

Archived