Anyone use DiCAPac underwater camera housing?

LiLBxQt

I've looked at both the dicapac and aquapac and i think i'm going to get the dicapac. i already have an aquapac that i use for id's, money, etc, but i think the dicapac looks more secure for a camera

i am not looking for advice to just spend the extra $ on a hard case. i only want to hear from anyone who has personally used either case or has heard if one is better than the other

thanks!!

• 2 months later...

I purchased a dicapac for a Nikon Coolpix.

It passed all tests in the kitchen sink, and I'll be using it this time next week in the Bahamas.

Will post on how the quality of the photos turn out shortly upon return.

Haven't tried the Aquapac though....

-Jason

Hey, I just bought the large camera aquapac, so I'll let you know what its like when I get it. I decided against the dicapac because I heard the camera bag seals with velcro, and in my experience that isnt very waterproof. I cant verify that, but the review I read that with said the aquapacs seal up very tight, however they do it. I couldn't justify a good reason to go with one over the other, so I just went w/ that review....might not have been the smartest idea, but I thought both camera products looked good and I needed to decide one way or the other!! ;)

Tenga1899,

I see you're originally from Charleston... same here!

The dicapac uses like a ziplock type deal, then that end is rolled up tightly, then velcro'd so that it doesn't unroll. Seems to work alright.

One downside with the dicapac is that it makes it a bit difficult to move the "type-of-picture-wheel" on the LCD side of the camera because it's really tough plastic. I think you may have went well with the Aquapac because I can see in it's product pics that it's pretty flexible.

I'm interested to see how the aquapac works out. Wishing you the best in your photos :)

-Jason

I was very tempted to get one of these off Ebay. I ended up Froogleing the cannon made one designed just for my camera. I must say it seems to be well worth the money. its one of few pricey extras that I felt are worth the money, from the feel of it to the ease of work, plus I feel secure in knowing my camera is not separated from the ocean from a Velcro seal

I ended up buying the dicapac. I did the paper test a few times. Then decided to try out the camera in the sink. It passed that test as well. Bone dry! I liked this case the best b/c it could accomodate the zoom lens. I got the WP-100 case (smallest one they make for my kodak v550)

I will be trying it out on my cruise on 5/20. I'll update everyone on how it worked out!

• 1 month later...

I found DiCaPac to be very secure -- the case is sealed with a ziplock-type closure, then the end with the closure is rolled up, and then a secondary flap is folded over it and secured with Velcro.

Depending on how snugly your particular zoom lens sits in the lens holder ring, you may have to be a bit careful to make sure the lens holder doesn't shift and partially interfere with the photo. But it didn't happen that often, it won't happen if you're careful to check the display carefully, and it shouldn't be anything you can't crop out if it does happen.

I'll see if I can find an example.

Archived