Holiday/ Mobile, AL- traveling issues- any ideas?

mother2_3

My husband and I (no children traveling with us) are going on the Feb. 8th (a Thursday) sailing of the Carnival Holiday out of Mobile, AL. This trip was booked very short notice and we have a very TIGHT budget for all expenses. We live in TN and the total travel time down there should only be 5-6 hours. Now, our dilemma is this- when should we leave TN and plan to get to the terminal? We don't really have any hotel allowance in the budget. We could conceivably leave TN in the wee hours of Thursday morning and drive down in time. But this leaves so much up to "Murphy" and no telling what would happen to us on the way down- car trouble, getting lost, who knows! Driving all night could possibly be the answer (I'm sure the excitement would be enough to get us through), but would be last case scenario as we aren't teenagers anymore! Any ideas what we could do for a few hours if we drove Wednesday evening (late) and got into Mobile midnight- 1 am? On that note, I've seen conflicting answers for how early exactly we can check in? I wouldn't mind going and sitting in a walmart parking lot for a few hours! I just want to get there with the least expense involved! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I wouldn't want to sleep in the car, as it is expected to be around freezing at night this week. We went on the Holiday almost 2 years ago out of Mobile, but we drove down the night before and spent the night at a hotel. We went to get on the ship around noon, and it had just gotten in due to a storm the night before that put them behind schedule. So we had to hang out at the mall for a few hours, and wait in our cars in a line on the road for another hour before parking and boarding.

I am in TN too, and I would suggest leaving around 6 am and driving down. My parents went on the Fantasy out of New Orleans a while back, and they did that and had no problem. Of course, I would recommend making plans for any unfortunate things that could hold you back--study your route and know it well, print out all maps and directions and be sure you understand them completely, map out alternate routes in case of heavy traffic, and even map out where all the rental car agencies are on the way (in case you have car trouble). There are always things that can happen, and they do sometimes. I just like to be prepared for anything. ;)

We live in TN and the total travel time down there should only be 5-6 hours.

I would sugggest making the trip early thursday morning. i would also allow a minimum of 6 hours. There is a lot of road construction between birmingham and hunstville. it will probably take you at least 2 to 2-1/2 hours from the tenn. state line to get to birmingham. another 3-1/2 to 4 hours depedning on traffic. if you leave early morning you will likely hit birmingham around rush hour. that will slow you down as well. I-65 is the main artery thru downtown and traffic is very congested between 7:30 and 9:00 am. the spedd limit thru the 25 mile stretch of birmingham is 60 mph.

Between birmingham and montgomery there is a speedtrap on I-65 at clanton. there are 3 exits for clanton and i would suggest staying within the speed limit during this 7 mile stretch. I-65 also is the main artery thru montgomery. if you get there around 9 am you should be ok. the speed limit thru montgomery is 50 for about 12 miles. once you get past montgomery, you should have no problems.

have a good trip

Archived