More Milan questions-please help

1. How long does it take to get to Last Supper from Duomo on tram #16? Is the tram better than taking the subway?

2. Can you buy all the subway tickets you are going to need all at one time and use them as you need them?

3. If any one has seen the Last Supper, is the appt time for the viewing the actual time you are in the room, or is it when you go into the first holding room? How many holding rooms are there, and how long does the whole process take from start to finish?

Shamrock17

We use to live in Milan so to answer your questions.

1) the tram will take anywhere from 15 minutes to about 25 minutes it all depends on traffic and traffic lights.

2) Yes you can buy all the tickets you will need at one time for the subway.

3) Get to the Last Supper about 15 minutes before your reservation. Once you check -in you will wait in the lobby and pretty close to your scheduled time you will be taken through 2 airlock chambers and then you will be in the room to view the Last Supper. Once in the main room you can take your time to view.

Let me know if you need to know anything else.

Tom

Tom,

We are in Milan only overnight unfortunately, but I really want to see The Last Supper. It looks like the earliest ticket time is 8:30 am. Our flight leaves Malpensa at 10:30am for Toronto. Do you think it is possible to see The Last Supper and get to the airport if we have a taxi waiting for us? I son't know how close to on-time the viewings run, and if traffic is terrible getting to the airport. Also, Select Italy will sell tickets for the specific time for $19.00 pp. I have seen that we can call the Church directly, but I do not speak any Italian and don't know how reliable that would be. Thank you for any advice.

It looks like the earliest ticket time is 8:30 am. Our flight leaves Malpensa at 10:30am for Toronto. Do you think it is possible to see The Last Supper and get to the airport if we have a taxi waiting for us?
Sorry, I'm not Tom - but I have a view about this which I hope will help.

Unfortunately, not a chance.

You would be cutting it fine even if you left central Milan at 8.30 for a 10.30 flight to Toronto. Malpensa is over 25 miles away from the city centre. Conventional advice is that you should allow 45-60 minutes for the transfer. The minimum check-in time (ie the cutoff point after which you will be refused check-in) is likely to be 45-60 minutes before flight time - there's a reason why airlines ask you to arrive to check in 2 hours before the flight.

So even if you left central Milan at 8.30, you would be close to missing your flight.

Summertimes

Like Globaliser has said, I am sorry you won't be able to that. Malpensa is out of the city by about an hour by car. The traffic can be a nightmare so I would plan on just heading to the airport. Since you are staying overnight let us know if you want some restaurant suggestions, let us know what area you are staying in...

Tom

Tom

Archived