New wine suggestions for Celebrity

zebra

I have been fascinated by the $20 TOO much for corkage thread. Totally agree! Maybe we could give X some ideas of new wines to add to their selection?

What is your favorite wine that you'd like to see offered on board?

Yeap, lot's of Rioja wines, can't have too many of those.. They are good and also inexpensive. :D You can keep my suggestion on the opus one, I was only kidding on those. I don't want to have to fill out a loan application for a bottle of wine. :eek:

I'm definately into those plus some Spanish reds would be nice. Also my Nobilo Icon series. :)

I thought I would jump in one more time. Definitely riojas and I would appreciate Chianti Classico Reservas.

OK,after we get our list who will submit it?

I'm hearing a lot about ice wine. Can you get it in the states or do I need to travel to the northland?

You can find Eisweins at fine wine stores around the states. The true "Eiswein" is from Germany, but other ice wines and the like are available from Austria, Canada, and other very cool growing regions. If you can't find something locally, I highly recommend (my former employer) Sam's Wine & Spirits in Chicago. They have an amazing selection and ship everywhere (where legal) in the country. http://www.samswine.com

Wine Diva,

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. How did you get in the wine education business and when are you sailing? I love to learn about wine. We recently took a few online courses through Wine Spectator. Much fun, especially the wine tasting parties each week.

Actually, I started out waiting tables in Chicago. Figured out that the way to make money waiting tables was to sell wine, so started a self education program in the early 90's. I read everything I could find. Jancis Robinson, the Spectator, Robert Parker, etc. Ended up in wine retail and then started my own business over 2 years ago.

I hear terrific things about the Wine Spectator online program and I will have to see what they're up to. I hear Gallo is going to launch something similar on line as well. If you want to go whole hog - check out University of California Davis - Distance Learning program. I've taken their winemaking classes on line and been very pleased, but its pretty hard core and costs a fair amount for college credit.

If you would like to check out a couple of good wine books that aren't too overwhelming I really like:

Windows on the World Wine Course - Kevin Zrealy (some of the proceeds benefits Windows of Hope - a fund that supports the families of the restaurant's employees killed on Sept 11th.)

Great Wine Made Simple - Andrea Immer

Great Tastes Made Simple - Andrea Immer

Mad4Cruising,

Which class will you take? Our wine parties started over a year ago. There are 8 of us who meet twice a week for wine tasting even when we don't have classes. We met Friday and we each decided to bring a bottle we liked - had French, Australian, Italian and Californian. Good stuff. I know you will enjoy the class.

Winediva,

Thanks for tips on books, I have the Windows of the World one. I'll check into UCDavis if I have the courage!!!

Bruinboy

There are 3 wines that I'd like to see on the dining room wine list. All three from Caymus Vineyards. Mer Soleil Chardonnay, Belle Glos Pinot Noir and Caymus Cabernet (altho the cab may be out of the price range for the main dining room since the land price is now in the $70 range). I recall seeing the Caymus Conundrum on the Specialty restaurant wine list, but nothing from Caymus in the main dining room.

Archived