Passengers allowed on bow deck section?

Manly5000

Hello all,

I am new to these forums, and I apologize if this has been posted before, however the search function is not working properly for me so I thought I'd ask. :) Before I do, however, let me start by saying that I am rather new to this, as I have never taken a cruise, but plan to do a Transatlantic crossing, hopefully on the QE2, within the next few years. I look forward to learning what I can here and am glad that I discovered this forum!

On to my question -- I was simply curious if passengers were allowed on-deck in the bow section of these ships? For example, when at sea can you go to the foremost point of the ship to enjoy the view of nothing but open ocean in front of you (Thoughts of Titanic's "I'm flying, Jack!" scene come to mind. :p )? Probably a silly question but I would like to know nonetheless. :)

It will be some time before I am able to embark on my first Transatlantic cruise, however I wish to learn all I can beforehand.

Thanks!

Hello all,

I am new to these forums, and I apologize if this has been posted before, however the search function is not working properly for me so I thought I'd ask. :) Before I do, however, let me start by saying that I am rather new to this, as I have never taken a cruise, but plan to do a Transatlantic crossing, hopefully on the QE2, within the next few years. I look forward to learning what I can here and am glad that I discovered this forum!

On to my question -- I was simply curious if passengers were allowed on-deck in the bow section of these ships? For example, when at sea can you go to the foremost point of the ship to enjoy the view of nothing but open ocean in front of you (Thoughts of Titanic's "I'm flying, Jack!" scene come to mind. :p )? Probably a silly question but I would like to know nonetheless. :)

It will be some time before I am able to embark on my first Transatlantic cruise, however I wish to learn all I can beforehand.

Thanks!

The simple answer is "no".

These areas are known to be underwater on a crossing - anything more than a force 8 and you can see the water coming over the front!

You can't get down to the prow without becoming a member of the crew. (At sea the crew are only allowed half way down for safety reasons and not at all if the weather is poor).

There is an observation deck for passengers just below the bridge. This is open in fair weather when there is not a head wind (the wind can easily be 70mph if running at 28knots into a headwnd!).

QM2 has more observation options, you cannot get to the point of the bow but onto the deck just behind. Also there is a lookout on the top deck and an observation deck below the bridge (might have the names back to front there). Inside you can see forward from the library.

If you want to do a crossing on QE2 (the only way to do it), you had better be quick about, she only has a few more years to go.

Thank you for the replies.

Have the rules always been this way or did something happen in recent history that caused them to change? Always fun to know the facts...

As far as the QE2 goes, how long does she have left about? I spoke to a reservation agent at Cunard recently who was told 10 more years, so that's the only point of reference I have to go by.

Edit: I imagine this would be a good example of why it's not allowed, even for crew.... heh. :P http://www.qe2.org.uk/images/wave.jpg

As far as I know passengers have never been allowed on the bow area of QE2.

QE2 will possibly be out of service in 2010 but there are many stories going around with dates up to about 2020. Cunard have not given an official answer on this but it is no secret that Carnival would like to ditch the old girl if they could.

There are some people on this board who do every QE2 crossing, she is a ship with many "regulars".

When I was on the QM2 in September, I popped through a metal door onto the deck of the bow section. There was no one there, and I worried that the door would slam shut and lock me out there-- There was no other observable way back in... So I remained there for a moment, relishing my sense of being off limits, and went back in to the main part of the ship. Did I do something wrong?.. Oh, yes, the part under the bridge on the QE2 can get REALLY windy. I thought my glasses would blow off.. But it was SO exciting....

Manly,

It really depends on the ship. No the rules did not change per se. Some ships were designed with the bow meant to be only a crew area, with capstans for pulling anchor chains and such, others were built with a flat deck area, either at the top of the hull, or even further up, on the superstructure a bit. That is one reason I hate Princess ships, which look like a missile or something, pointed and closed in with no forward walk. The HAL ships do have an area up front you can walk up to, The Old Carnival Crown ships that I first cruised on over ten years ago, you could almost do a "jack and what's-her-face." (I lost an earring right out of my ear, steaming out of Puerto Rico one time!)

The QM2, as stated has an area closer than the QE2 does. There is an observation area forward on deck 12 (or is it thirteen) which is glassed in which gives great views, also one not glassed in off of 11 deck forward.

So I guess it is the design, insurance, and risk level which is acceptable to each line and ship. There is no absolute rule.

Karie,

who loves to lean against the forward bow of ships where it is allowed.

I appreciate the input, thanks guys.

Getting pretty depressed about the QE2, as I'm doing more searching and digging and seeing posts from quite a few folks that have heard Cunard employees say next year, 2008, will be the last year for her. This is very depressing actually, if it be true, as there is no way I'll be able to go until 2009 at the earliest. No other ship aside from the QE2 will give me the experience that I'm looking for, the modern mega-ships like the QM2 and QV just won't do it for me. Seems I'm always a day late and a dollar short. :(

Thanks again for the replies.

Manly,

First off, don't believe the naysayers. Read the posts - I think maybe Host Doug may have made some statements, Prinsendam, is another, Transat jon and more who argue that as long as she is turning a profit, and no one questions that she fills up most trips, she will be around. Carnival is not going to throw away a unique cash cow. I don't see her going away that quickly unless something catastrophic happens to her. And Cunard knows that they have a most unique ship. OTOH, don't be too quick to rule out any and all other ships. Although they may not be Cunard, there are other ships which do an admirable job of recognizing the liners of the past.

Just keep trying. Maybe you will get an inheritance from a rich uncle you never knew you had!

And maybe the queen is going to prove many peaple wrong!

Karie,

who wishes she would do more WB TAs.

Cunard employees say next year, 2008, will be the last year for her.

One well known Cunard 'employee' - Mickey Arison, when asked at the Carnival shareholders meeting in Southampton said the QE2 was 'fantastic' and 'as long as people want to sail on her we'll keep running her'.

The '2008 last year' story is no more than based on the assumption that the Queen Victoria is the QE2's 'replacement' - but since the QM2 has not hit QE2 passenger numbers, I don't see why the QV should (there are more discounts on the QM2's World Cruise than the QE2's - which has been oversold on some segments).

Assuming that the QE2's popularity does not wane, then there are two main issues which could lead to her withdrawal - her advancing age, and new safety regulations due in 2010. After nearly 38 years of service the QE2 is very old by any liner standard and amazingly old for a Trans Atlantic ferry - these ships are worked very hard, sent into rough seas to maintain a timetable - most don't make it past their mid-20s. In addition, the old time 2 day turnaround in port is a thing of the past - the QE2 turns around in under 12 hours now - so she's been kept working far harder than her predecessors. Advancing years may lead to the UK's MCA asking for annual, rather than bi-annual refits - that will drive her costs up significantly. Also the new SOLAS (safety of life at sea) regulations, due to be implemented in 2010 may be more difficult for her to comply with than Cunard have admitted to so far. Apart from 'wood' onboard, there are the issues of blind stairtowers and cabin alley ways. However, she did have an 'engine' transplant in the mid-80s, so her 'heart' is still relatively young.

On the January crossing I asked several officers this question. There was no one answer. Current capital projects are justified on the basis of extending her life to 2015. Some thought the 2010 SOLAS regulations might prove tough to meet, others thought not. Net, if she makes it past 2010, she could have another 5 years. But don't forget, in liner terms she is very old, and has sailed further than any ship ever built. If something serious does go wrong, the end could come very suddenly.

Peter

Archived