Alaska Port Stops

giraffez

Hi All,

I will be doing a cruise with Holland America (first time cruising) in Alaska doing the standard inside passage route and very excited!

I've read that the helicopter glacier tour is expensive but is a must!! If I was to do that, where would be the best place to do it in?

My ports of call are:

Skagway

Ketchikan

Juneau

Tracy Arm???

is it still worth doing if the weather is lousy (ie full of clouds)?? Would there be anything to see if this is the case?

I'm on quite a tight budget after spending a fortune for the cruise itself. The shore excursions can be quite pricey. If I don't do the shore excursions, what can I do to pass the time at the port? Does the ship stop in the city centre where there are lots to explore on your own? Could I use public transport to get around?? If so, what can I do on my own in each of my port stops? I'm not the adventurous type (eg rafting, hiking, abseiling etc) and prefer more scenic, discovery type stuff.

I've read that there are two totem pole parks in Ketchikan, which one is the better one and are they within walkable distance from the ship?

Thanks

do your homework, head to your library and take out Alaska travel books, request each port's visitor guide.

Yes the downtown areas are easy to walk to from the ship- if you have no mobility limitations. BUT I do strongly suggest you have PLANS in place along with any reservations before you get there. Time is short- take advantage of every minute. Glacier helicopter landing are a top choice for me and definately give the best picture of the beauty and expanse of Alaska. You can get some savings by booking with an independent.

Archived