group rate

texasnana

You will get perks for most cruises, but unfortunatly the rates will not be much different than you see anywhere else. The perks may include a tour conductor credit , upgrades etc. I would recommend calling a TA that is experienced in groups and let them explain in detail what you would be entitled to....this all depends on the cruise and date.

the cabins individually on your own, then once you've got the group you need you can call group bookings and have them transferred.

From my experience there really aren't any REAL perks to a small group booking. Most likely use of a conference center or reserved group area for a party. They usually provide food, coffee and juices and the bar service would be available$$$. A group leader is assigned and they either recieve a discounted or comped cabin fare , or the group may recieve a %10 discount or something close to it. Now if it is a corporate booking with 50 - 100 cabins I think the perks may be a bit different.

Keep in mind if you book as a group you have to put down deposits on all of the cabins at once.

Dave:eek:

We booked a group through Carnival's group sales, and we didn't have to put a deposit down on all of the cabins at once. They held the number we wanted for a period of time and guaranteed the rates for that period. As group members booked, they put down their deposit.

For 8 cabins, we are receiving (7 day cruise) $100 shipboard credit, 1 hour open bar cocktail party, champagne and chocolates and a photo coupon per cabin. My understanding is you can get some perks with 5 cabins but I'm not sure how many.

I can't complain about using Carnival directly. Their group sales people have always been helpful - even when I've called several times in one day! We just recently were given close to $100 refunds on each cabin because the price had gone down.

JUST BACK and thinking cruise.... what is considered group rate... i want to book 5 cabins would that be a group or regular rates..and if we want the cabins together do i use a TA or the cruise site??

Yes, it is best to use a TA for muliple cabins; as for a group rate, beleive it or not there really isn't any such thing. 8 cabins or more will get you one free birth plus a few amenities, but the rate will be the same. Sometimes with only 5 cabins you are better off just to let the agent take care of things for you and watch to see if the rates drop. She/he will be able to adjust the pricing if the rate does drop prior to final payment. NMNita

We booked a group through Carnival's group sales, and we didn't have to put a deposit down on all of the cabins at once. They held the number we wanted for a period of time and guaranteed the rates for that period. As group members booked, they put down their deposit.

For 8 cabins, we are receiving (7 day cruise) $100 shipboard credit, 1 hour open bar cocktail party, champagne and chocolates and a photo coupon per cabin. My understanding is you can get some perks with 5 cabins but I'm not sure how many.

I can't complain about using Carnival directly. Their group sales people have always been helpful - even when I've called several times in one day! We just recently were given close to $100 refunds on each cabin because the price had gone down.

I don't think bububr meant you had to put up the deposit the minute you booked, but yes, you do put one up a certain number of days or weeks after holding. It is usually about $25 per person, not much and yet it can add up. NMnita

I wanted to add that with Royal Carribean we picked out a group of 12 cabins and we had 30 days to fill them and pay (50 to hold it for 3 months)then if they didnt get filled

they go back for anyones taking.

As far as the perks go , with our cruise I found we got a good rate and shipboard credit for everyone but we did book the 8 rooms.

Im no pro, just stating what I just went thru, have fun booking :)

I wanted to add that with Royal Carribean we picked out a group of 12 cabins and we had 30 days to fill them and pay (50 to hold it for 3 months)then if they didnt get filled

they go back for anyones taking.

As far as the perks go , with our cruise I found we got a good rate and shipboard credit for everyone but we did book the 8 rooms.

Im no pro, just stating what I just went thru, have fun booking :)

I just want to make something clear for those who are looking for group rates: they do not exist. If someone gets a great rate it is due to a promo or something going on at the time. Group rates are not discounted. Yes, the perks are there if 8 or more cabins are booked. How you got a discounted rate I can't imagine. The closest to a discount might be ungrades in catagories. Even that is not usual. I am not trying to be arguementive I just don't want people to think all they have to do is call the group desk and they will get offered some fantastic deal. Of course for 8 cabins, one person goes gree: if you take the cost of that person and devide it up amoung the rest, yes, everyone will get a discount. NMnita

When I asked Carnival about a group rate for 5-8 rooms, they said that after a certain # of rooms were booked, 1 person would be free...the way they worked that out is everyones price was discounted by dividing the cost of the free person's trip among the entire group.

I.E.

16 people @ $500 each

$500 divided by 16= approx. $31would be deducted from each price

at least that's how it was explained to me...We ended up not getting all people to confirm...so we each went at it seperately.

I'm hoping for a better deal this year, as we hope to have a large group for this year's cruise.

also- with rci- the free berth (one person) if book 8 double occ cabins - is based on which cabin cat most of the cabins are in- for ex if you have 8 total cabins and 4 are inside cabins and 4 are ocean view cabins- the free person is based on the inside cabin price minus port fees/ taxes and the noncommissionable cruise fare- so if inside cabin costs like 599 - port and tax and nccf = down to like 380 - so divide 380 by 16 = 23.75 pp savings

not as much as you think- helpful to work with a ta who has done some groups and who knows the ropes-

When I asked Carnival about a group rate for 5-8 rooms, they said that after a certain # of rooms were booked, 1 person would be free...the way they worked that out is everyones price was discounted by dividing the cost of the free person's trip among the entire group.

I.E.

16 people @ $500 each

$500 divided by 16= approx. $31would be deducted from each price

at least that's how it was explained to me...We ended up not getting all people to confirm...so we each went at it seperately.

I'm hoping for a better deal this year, as we hope to have a large group for this year's cruise.

yes, that is how it works, plus, depending on how many cabins are actually sold there are perks added; maybe an OBC per cabin, a cocktail party, a discount on shore excursions etc. NMNita

also- with rci- the free berth (one person) if book 8 double occ cabins - is based on which cabin cat most of the cabins are in- for ex if you have 8 total cabins and 4 are inside cabins and 4 are ocean view cabins- the free person is based on the inside cabin price minus port fees/ taxes and the noncommissionable cruise fare- so if inside cabin costs like 599 - port and tax and nccf = down to like 380 - so divide 380 by 16 = 23.75 pp savings

not as much as you think- helpful to work with a ta who has done some groups and who knows the ropes-

that also is true: I have done 2 so far; both cases there were inside and outside plus suites, etc reserved. In both cases the average came out to close to what you are talking about.

Beleive me I certainly am not knocking group bookings or trying to discoursge anyone I just think everyone needs to understand what they are getting as it isn't an easy program to deal with unless you are a veteran cruiser. I really recommend no one try the group thing without going with a travel agent. NMnita

Archived