Smoking on QM2 after UK ban

colwill

Ooops! Punny headline! Never mind, the BBC report that scientists believe they have an explanation of that phenomenon known as 'Beer Goggles':

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/4468884.stm

The factors involved include alcohol, and the room's smokiness:

So by clearing bars of smoke, the anti-smoking lobby can claim the benefit of improving the nation's sexual health and reducing unwanted pregnancies. Surely a good thing.

However, there will be new energy saving legislation, eventually, to counter the threat of global warming. This will mean that bars will get darker as lights get switched off.

The reduced lighting will in some way redress the balance, giving a chance again to the less aesthetic.

We have been over this formula by the way and feel that the term "percentage of flesh exposed" needs to be added in. Also the term d (distance) seems to be missing on the BBC version of the formula, maths for people who don't do maths!

Here we were, somewhere off the coast of South America aboard QE2. There was quite a demand for seating on a beautiful sunny day, but we are lucky to find two vacant loungers on the boat deck. We settle down to a good book each. Then the guy directly upwind decides it is time for another drag and proceeds to light up the monster cigar. We are engulfed by the foul pungent smoke and are forced, gasping to abandon loungers. Needless to say we don't find replacements.

Should we be tolerant of his right to inflict this on us.

There is the Churchill cigar lounge on QM2. I have never seen a smoker in it.

David.

Here we were, somewhere off the coast of South America aboard QE2. There was quite a demand for seating on a beautiful sunny day, but we are lucky to find two vacant loungers on the boat deck. We settle down to a good book each. Then the guy directly upwind decides it is time for another drag and proceeds to light up the monster cigar. We are engulfed by the foul pungent smoke and are forced, gasping to abandon loungers. Needless to say we don't find replacements.

David.

David.

No You Shouldnt be tolerant, it was he who should of moved not you ! :cool:

David.

No you shouldn,t be tolerant of him, it was he who should have moved not you ! :(

But have a lovely smoke free holiday (chuck him overboard ) :D

regards,

Gavin :cool:

David.

No you shouldn,t be tolerant of him,it is he who should of moved not you ! :mad:

Have a lovely smoke free holiday (chuck him overboard ) :D

regards,

David.

No you shouldn,t be tolerant of him,it is he who should of moved not you ! :mad:

Have a lovely smoke free holiday (chuck him overboard ) :D

regards,

Ooops! Punny headline! Never mind, the BBC report that scientists believe they have an explanation of that phenomenon known as 'Beer Goggles':

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/4468884.stm

The factors involved include alcohol, and the room's smokiness:

So by clearing bars of smoke, the anti-smoking lobby can claim the benefit of improving the nation's sexual health and reducing unwanted pregnancies. Surely a good thing.

However, there will soon be new energy saving legislation to counter the threat of global warming. This will mean that bars will get darker as lights get switched off.

The reduced lighting will in some way redress the balance, giving a chance again to the less aesthetic. The cycle continues.

We have been over this formula by the way and feel that the term "percentage of flesh exposed" needs to be added in. Also the term d (distance) seems to be missing on the BBC version of the formula; maths for people who don't do maths!

David.

David.

Hi David

I was going to keep out of this.

Churchill's Cigar Lounge? Well on my TA I spent many happy hours sitting in the Commodore Club, sometimes near the piano (port, non smoking section) but also on the starboard (smoking) side. I passed by the cigar room on many occasions (as the "gents" is just outside, when visiting, I always looked into the cigar room through the glass door) and there was almost always at least one person in there (even when I photographed the room there was a guy out of shot in the corner). Sometimes there was a group of passengers puffing away. Even when I didn't look into the room I noticed bar staff taking drinks in there for the occupants.

So my experience is that the room is used. As for the guy on deck (on QE2, see above) with his cigar, he should have been asked to move downwind or put it out. Not drive others away. The problem there is a selfish attitude, unthinking. Had he been playing a music machine too loudly it would be the same, no regard for others. You don't have to smoke to be selfish, uncaring or thoughtless.

I have no problem with smoking sections in public places. My personal preference is for "no smoking" where I eat, but I feel that a mix of smoking and non smoking areas is fine in bars and clubs.

I find over-loud conversation from a nearby table far more irritating than smoke IMHO. What's next? No loud conversaton because I find it irritating?

Some of the best bars and clubs I've ever been in around the world were dark smokey atmospheric places with great music and people.

Of course we all have the choice to seek out ships where smoking is banned and those where it is allowed. Let people vote with their wallets, I'm sure cruise lines will notice.

In my experience the strongest anti-smokers are ex smokers. Do as I say, not as I did (my father is a classic example).

And to those who demonize smokers and see them as an easy target, let any who are perfect come forward with the first stone.

From a non-smoking (but very happy for others to smoke if they wish)

The reduced lighting will in some way redress the balance, giving a chance again to the less aesthetic.

We have been over this formula by the way and feel that the term "percentage of flesh exposed" needs to be added in. Also the term d (distance) seems to be missing on the BBC version of the formula, maths for people who don't do maths!

Hey, you know! Some of us fit into more than one of these pigeonholes. (and not much else, I might add!) While some might put me into the "less attractive" category, I also have more skin to expose to start with! So the math could be off! Heck, in square inches alone, I could expose more flesh than a skinny woman and still look like a puritan or someone wearing a burka!

Once again proving- Figures lie, and Liars figure! (she said, at the beginning of US tax season!)

Karie,

who should probably remain anonymous, considering how many different people/groups she just insulted in that post!

Okay!

Get ready on your delete key, smokers!

I'm going to give another proof (positive) that smoking is dangerous and can kill you!

A woman in Hartford Ct yesterday was picking up her daughter. in the car with her, she had her other daughter (22) and 8 month old granddaughter. The woman stopped the car (corner of Flatbush and Zion, in case you want to google the loc) and got out to have a smoke.

She was shot dead in a drive by shooting!

See? If she hadn't gotten out of the car for a ciggy-butt, she'd still be alive today! <G>

(Okay, that was rude, and feel terrible about the victim. No word yet on whether she was targeted, it was random, or a mistaken identity. Police are still investigating. and no, it is not a good neighborhood, but I have been there plenty in broad daylight and never been shot at. but then again, I wouldn't wan to break down there.

Karie,

who really does feel bad about the incident.

Hi David

I was going to keep out of this.

Churchill's Cigar Lounge? Well on my TA I spent many happy hours sitting in the Commodore Club, sometimes near the piano (port, non smoking section) but also on the starboard (smoking) side. I passed by the cigar room on many occasions (as the "gents" is just outside, when visiting, I always looked into the cigar room through the glass door) and there was almost always at least one person in there (even when I photographed the room there was a guy out of shot in the corner). Sometimes there was a group of passengers puffing away. Even when I didn't look into the room I noticed bar staff taking drinks in there for the occupants.

So my experience is that the room is used. As for the guy on deck (on QE2, see above) with his cigar, he should have been asked to move downwind or put it out. Not drive others away. The problem there is a selfish attitude, unthinking. Had he been playing a music machine too loudly it would be the same, no regard for others. You don't have to smoke to be selfish, uncaring or thoughtless.

I have no problem with smoking sections in public places. My personal preference is for "no smoking" where I eat, but I feel that a mix of smoking and non smoking areas is fine in bars and clubs.

I find over-loud conversation from a nearby table far more irritating than smoke IMHO. What's next? No loud conversaton because I find it irritating?

Some of the best bars and clubs I've ever been in around the world were dark smokey atmospheric places with great music and people.

Of course we all have the choice to seek out ships where smoking is banned and those where it is allowed. Let people vote with their wallets, I'm sure cruise lines will notice.

In my experience the strongest anti-smokers are ex smokers. Do as I say, not as I did (my father is a classic example).

And to those who demonize smokers and see them as an easy target, let any who are perfect come forward with the first stone.

From a non-smoking (but very happy for others to smoke if they wish)

I would hope that i would never do anything which irritated or offended others, if i was i would hope they would tell me and it would stop immediately ! :D

Not Perfect........! Just Considerate ! :)

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/07/bill-banning-ipods-and-cellphones-on-new-york-city-streets-comin/

It was good to see New York ban smoking, but maybe this is going too far.

And here I think you have unwittingly highlighted my primary objection to government intervention on smoking; once they start they don't know when to stop.

Colwill (the idiot who started all this)

Okay!

Get ready on your delete key, smokers!

I'm going to give another proof (positive) that smoking is dangerous and can kill you!

A woman in Hartford Ct yesterday was picking up her daughter. in the car with her, she had her other daughter (22) and 8 month old granddaughter. The woman stopped the car (corner of Flatbush and Zion, in case you want to google the loc) and got out to have a smoke.

See? If she hadn't gotten out of the car for a ciggy-butt, she'd still be alive today! <G>

(Okay, that was rude, and feel terrible about the victim. No word yet on whether she was targeted, it was random, or a mistaken identity. Police are still investigating. and no, it is not a good neighborhood, but I have been there plenty in broad daylight and never been shot at. but then again, I wouldn't wan to break down there.

Karie,

who really does feel bad about the incident.

Thats terrible, but also lets not forget the amounts of deaths caused in fires started by Cigarettes, even on cruise ships (star princess ) where the person who died wasn,t even the smoker ! :(

Passive smoking ? :mad:

I would hope that i would never do anything which irritated or offended others, if i was i would hope they would tell me and it would stop immediately ! :D

Not Perfect........! Just Considerate ! :)

I have prayed for redemption. I have Penny's wise words coursing through my brain. I am about to handcuff myself to a radiator away from the keyboard. I will NOT reply to this....I will NOT reply to this.... I will NOT reply to this..........................

:D

I have prayed for redemption. I have Penny's wise words coursing through my brain. I am about to handcuff myself to a radiator away from the keyboard. I will NOT reply to this....I will NOT reply to this.... I will NOT reply to this..........................

Come on ya Chicken ! :D

You started it ! :eek:

I passed by the cigar room on many occasions (as the "gents" is just outside, when visiting, I always looked into the cigar room through the glass door) and there was almost always at least one person in there (even when I photographed the room there was a guy out of shot in the corner). )

http://ImageEvent.com/mufi/qm2crossingsjuly2005

David.

I find these things far more annoying than smoke.

Especially on the train.

Matthew

I'd be quite happy to see them banned. Excepting that some people enjoy using them so why not introduce "quiet zones" where they cant be used like there is on some trains. Better yet let's restrict their use to only a very few places:)

(Okay, that was rude, and feel terrible about the victim. No word yet on whether she was targeted, it was random, or a mistaken identity. Police are still investigating. and no, it is not a good neighborhood, but I have been there plenty in broad daylight and never been shot at. but then again, I wouldn't want to break down there.

Or if she'd felt able to smoke in her car:D

(I agree with you about feeling for the victim etc)

Archived