Smoking on QM2 after UK ban

colwill

As the smoking subject was talked about much last year i decided to do a count on available smoking during my last transatlantic last year compared to 2004.

Golden Lion 2004 the only non smoking section was as you entered the pub about 8 no smoking tables the rest were all pretty much smoking.

in 2006 it had gone the other way all no smoking apart from 3 tables and the one table by the dart board and half the bar area about 6 seats.

also in 2004 smoking was allowed on one side of the ship in the winter garden.2006 no more.

Chart bar 2004 about 10 tables in 2006 3 tables are now smoking.

Commoodore club about the same half and half

I think even as a smoker this is about right.

i did see people smoking by the lifts i think that should stop.

The Queens room had about 8-10 tables all on the upper section of the starboard side for smokers.

While smoking is still legal we all have rights even when smoking i made every effort not to blow smoke in the direction of anyone sat within a non smoking area.

what got to me was that one lunch time in the Glolden Lion two of the smoking tables were taken by non smokers while 10 tables in the no smoking area remained empty .

While smoking is still legal we all have rights even when smoking

Oh no you don't (cue for pantomime style posts:) ) Once you touch a cigarette, other tobacco related item or just something that a minority thinks you shouldn't you forfeit all rights and shouldn't even be allowed in steerage:D :D

What got to me was that one lunch time in the Golden Lion two of the smoking tables were taken by non smokers while 10 tables in the no smoking area remained empty .

That couldn't be - only smokers are inconsiderate - non smokers have a perfect right to be where ever they want!

(Please note - the majority of this post has been written tongue in cheek!)

Oh no you don't (cue for pantomime style posts:) ) Once you touch a cigarette, other tobacco related item or just something that a minority thinks you shouldn't you forfeit all rights and shouldn't even be allowed in steerage:D :D

That couldn't be - only smokers are inconsiderate - non smokers have a perfect right to be where ever they want!

(Please note - the majority of this post has been written tongue in cheek!)

Yeah but now your making more sense ! :eek:

Only Prob is Mary you just cant win ! :D

Mary - Gavin has decided that, no matter what anyone else wants, he is going to have what he wants. We can be reasonable until we are blue in the face but he will shout us down:(

Hey,

If smokers are unhappy they could always move to a country that still allows smoking in Public buildings

Thats if there are any left who do, or if there are, for how much longer,

its not just this country thats banning or already banned it !

;)

" I believe that it should be up to the individual establishment. That way we could express our preference for accommodation."

So tell us pnhmrk, was my assumption (... I assume you agree with me when I say: smoking should be prohibit in places I compulsorily have to go like government offices, schools,etc....) correct?

Was my assumption correct?

Partially - in public buildings (owned and run by the public not just open to the public) it should certainly be restricted. Public buildings should ensure they cater for all the public they serve by providing smoking areas. For private buildings (privately owned but open to the public) it is up to the individual establishment if they want to cater for smokers, non smokers or both.

What is wrong is when a building like a Hospital - open to both smokers and non smokers says that you must not smoke in the building, the grounds or within an area near the hospital.

What is wrong is when a building like a Hospital - open to both smokers and non smokers says that you must not smoke in the building, the grounds or within an area near the hospital.

You don't think a Hospital might be trying to say something about active or passive smoking, do you?

Peter

You don't think a Hospital might be trying to say something about active or passive smoking, do you?

Peter

Why should a long term patient be even more miserable than he would otherwise be?

My father died in a hospice. From lung cancer.

It had a smoking area......

It would have made his last days even worse if he couldn't smoke. That doesn't make sense, as smoking was killing him very efficiently at the time, but does life always have to make sense?

I don't accept, FWIW, Malcolm's suggestion that passive smoking is harmless. But we can't ban everything that is dangerous.

Otherwise how would we all drink?

Matthew

Why should a long term patient be even more miserable than he would otherwise be?

It would have made his last days even worse if he couldn't smoke. That doesn't make sense, as smoking was killing him very efficiently at the time, but does life always have to make sense?

I don't accept, FWIW, Malcolm's suggestion that passive smoking is harmless. But we can't ban everything that is dangerous.

Matthew

How is drinking dangerous ? :confused:

Gavin :cool:

Peter

In the Pennsylvania community where I live and work all of the local hospitals are banning together to prohibit smoking outside and on any property owned by the hospital. The kick off date is 2-14-07. So, if you are a smoker and an employee they say you may NOT sit in your car and smoke. Need I tell you there is a furor growing about this. I'm not a smoker and am too busy taking care of my patients to get involved, but as we say in Philly....it ain't pretty!

:eek:

In the Pennsylvania community where I live and work all of the local hospitals are banning together to prohibit smoking outside and on any property owned by the hospital. The kick off date is 2-14-07. So, if you are a smoker and an employee they say you may NOT sit in your car and smoke. Need I tell you there is a furor growing about this. I'm not a smoker and am too busy taking care of my patients to get involved, but as we say in Philly....it ain't pretty!

:eek:

Yes taking care of patients should be their main concern, not their own selfish needs !

In the Pennsylvania community where I live and work all of the local hospitals are banning together to prohibit smoking outside and on any property owned by the hospital.

In this country it's not just the property of the hospital, but property near the hospital!

You even need to ask?

"There is a clear association between alcohol consumption and accidents"

Source: http://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk

Oh you mean if you drink to excess ! yes that is stupid, i am tea total, but i have heard that certain alcohol i.e Red Wine is good for you in moderation , is that true ? But drinking to excess and then behaving unacceptably is also anti-social and i would never agree with that ! :eek:

You even need to ask?

"There is a clear association between alcohol consumption and accidents"

Source: http://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk

There is also research into the health benefits of moderate red wine consumption.

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/html/health_news/010903wine.html

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=23592

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1719675.stm

plus numerous others if you do a bit of googling.

I don't believe that I have seen the same for moderate smoking?

There is also research into the health benefits of moderate red wine consumption.

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/html/health_news/010903wine.html

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=23592

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1719675.stm

plus numerous others if you do a bit of googling.

I don't believe that I have seen the same for moderate smoking?

The voice of common sense ! :D

Matthew

Not to mention sex!

No, we all know that prohibition did not work here in the US. Truthfully, neither does the present way we deal with drugs. It would make more sense to legalize or decriminalize and spend that money saved on more treatment beds instead. I was once speaking with William F Buckley Jr (He is known in the US as a conservative commentator, though he tells me he is actually a libertarian- For instance, he favors a woman's choice- The government has no business in our bedrooms) He mentioned that he is in favor of decriminalization of drugs. Then he went on to say it would never happen. There is an entire sub-economy built on the "War on Drugs" A lot of people are making a lot of money on that war- Money they would no longer make if drugs were legal. From drug interdiction efforts of local and federal agents such as the DEA, to the manufacturers of the planes we sell to destroy crops in other countries. It was a pretty interesting idea. Prostitution is another thing that will never go away, so you might as well legalize it, regulate it and make it safer for both the purveyor and the customer. Again- That would never happen here, as we are much too uptight!

So of all of these "bad things- Oh yeah, must not forget gambling- Most are victimless crimes or activities. The trouble in most cases comes when a person cannot control their lust and need for each of these, or engages in other criminal activity to enable his or her habit (embezzling, stealing, etc) The main difference (other than the above stated exceptions) is that with unfettered cigarette smoking, it is impossible to contain your habit to your own "space" unless you are truly in a distinct and isolated space. It would be as if every drinker by default had, as a natural side-effect of drinking, the habit of spilling red wine on others' clothing. Then it would also be affecting those around you even when you are not drinking to excess or acting like an idiot due to the effects of the alcohol.

Now I have made some outrageous statements here which will not go unchallenged. I do not advocate banning smoking- just keeping it, somehow, so that it does not equally jeopardize others' health who have made a personal choice not to smoke- Or, if, Malcolm, you truly believe, despite all evidence to the contrary, that I am the only soul in the universe adversely affected by passive smoke, then we'll put it on the basis of making others uncomfortable or miserable such that they must leave the vicinity (or stay out to begin with) and give up THEIR personal choice. You would not advocate unfettered farting after a robust meal of beans and broccoli wrapped in boiled cabbage- Anyone with a modicum of manners would attempt to isolate one's self in such a situation. He would not be so inconsiderate as to say, TOUGH! If you don't like the sulfurous smell, you should stay out I am thoroughly enjoying my farts! Downright proud of them I am!

P.S. I have a friend who is a speech therapist. She once told me of a patient who would smoke through his stoma- That is the hole they had to cut in his trachea to enable him to breathe. I can tell you more horror studies. the man with emphysema who had to sleep in the basement because his wife "HAD EVERY RIGHT TO SMOKE IN HER OWN HOME" despite the fact that doing so was killing him...literally.

On with the fight.

Karie,

who is heartless and mean and selfish when she prefers that there be some areas where smoking is not done!

Archived