Buying liquor on board.

JHCALLAHAN

I've read the smuggling threads with great interest. I've read a reference or two to ordering a bottle for your cabin. Can one do this, or is there liquor for sale by the bottle on board (gift shop, liquor store, etc?) If so, are the prices reasonable or robbery? I know I've seen a lot of $2 cigars for sale in cigar shops at Vegas hotels for $6-8! Just wondering if a $25 bottle of scotch is gonna cost $75 or if I can even buy it on board. I gather from what I've read you have to go order a drink from a bar.

Thanks,

JHC (never been on a cruise, looking to book one probably in the fall)

I've read the smuggling threads with great interest. I've read a reference or two to ordering a bottle for your cabin. Can one do this, or is there liquor for sale by the bottle on board (gift shop, liquor store, etc?) If so, are the prices reasonable or robbery? I know I've seen a lot of $2 cigars for sale in cigar shops at Vegas hotels for $6-8! Just wondering if a $25 bottle of scotch is gonna cost $75 or if I can even buy it on board. I gather from what I've read you have to go order a drink from a bar.

Thanks,

JHC (never been on a cruise, looking to book one probably in the fall)

I can only speak for Carnival, but you can't buy liquor on board to take to your cabin, they hold it for you until the last night. But you can order ahead of time via the Bon Voyage department. The prices are little high, but not really bad I don't think and the convenience is worth it. Here are a few examples from Carnival :

VODKA:

Smirnoff, Absolute Reg, Vanilla & Citron and Stoli - $40.00

Kettle One, Grey Goose & Belvadeer - $60.00

RUM:

Bacardi O, Meyers Dk Rum & Capt. morgans - $40.00

Malibu - $55.00

Bacardi 8 - $60.00

JACK DANIELS - $55.00

WHISKEY:

Canadian Whiskey,Johnny Walker Red,Segram 7 Blk,J & B & Jameson-$38.00

Segram Crown Royal, Chivas Regal - $55.00

On Princess there are liquor packages that you can purchase, but I don't think you can buy it from the gift shop and take it back to your room. I'm not sure how reasonalbe their prices as as I rarely drink hard liquor. Each cruise line is a little different.

Charlie

Archived