Nassau Excursions - Yellow Bird vs. Pearl Island?

sbeth

I'm curious about excursions. Anyone been on the yellow bird party boat or done the pearl island adventure w/ or w/o the treasure hunt? Should I book through carnival? If not, can you recommend a reputable website?

We did the Yellowbird. It was OK...way overpriced for a catamaran with "entertainment" (a guy with a guitar and a synthesizer) and "free rum punch" (which we still laugh about to this day how horrible it was). It took twice as long to get there and back as we spent on the beach itself.

I've heard lots of unsatisfied people with the Pearl Island excursion as well. Many saying they didn't find a thing and it was kind of boring.

I'd check out the Bahamas board over on the Ports Of Call boards. But if it were me, I'd cab it to Atlantis, poke around there, have something to eat or hit their beach, hit the straw market for a very short stop on the way back to the ship.

Hope that helps!

I am one of the unhappy people who did the Pearl Island Treasure Hunt. Disorganized from start to finish. We do have 1 conch shell that another guest helped my son find. Only one pearl was found from about 30 people. Very little first aid after I was injured on the rocks, sprayed with water and paper towels to stop the bleeding. Complaints to Carnival resulted in $30 ship board credit on next cruise for $300 cost.

I'm curious about excursions. Anyone been on the yellow bird party boat or done the pearl island adventure w/ or w/o the treasure hunt? Should I book through carnival? If not, can you recommend a reputable website?

It depends on your expectations.

Yellowbird now goes to Blackbeards Cay.. It's a 3 deck catamaran that takes you on a 30 minute ride to the island. 3 piece band and local DJ. Not a NYC Club DJ.. but fun.

Drinks are Ok.. rum punch.. and you can ask them for an extra shot.. you can also buy beer or fruity drinks.

The beach is nice.. clean and refreshing.. There's a bar and grill on the island (you can't bring your drink from the boat.)

You can enjoy the band.. or go to one of the upper decks to sunbathe or hang out with friends. It's up to you.

Pearl Island is a small coral island with a tiny beach.. It's very quaint. very small. The Treasure/conch hunt is a bit cheesey.. the area is seeded, but if you are more interested in beautiful island and sealife.. you won't be disappointed.

I would recommend that you just take the beach break and enjoy the beach and leave the side tours to the kids.

There's sting rays to watch.. a strip of sandy white beach, a lighthouse and gazebo to explore. It's a short trip.. designed for those who really only want a quick tour to the beach. (some ships only have a few hours at port.. this tour was designed with that in mind.).

Both Blackbeards and pearl Island are commecialized islands. souvenier shops, bar and grill, restrooms and changeing rooms.

Archived