Sierra Madre hiking

tctravelgirl

Beware! We did this "hike" last week. It is much more difficult than the description would have you believe. First of all, it is very steep. Going up is difficult, but we did manage that. Going DOWN was where we had the problems. It is the dry season now, and the (VERY STEEP) trail was covered with loose dirt, small stones, and dry leaves. Traction was almost impossible. The guides were joking about people falling, but it was no joke. We had many people falling and injuring themselves; I twisted my ankle about halfway down and ended up not being able to finish the hike. We also had someone in our group who slipped on the rocks in the river and hit her head - not very serious but it could have been. I also talked to a man aboard our ship a few days later who was on the hike later that day; he slipped and fell on a downhill portion of the hike and broke his arm. If you do decide to do the hike, be sure to wear shoes with very good traction.

Also the group was never even able to enjoy the advertised mineral hot springs; the guide told them that they were too slow and did not have enough time. I think that a big part of the problem is that they had too big a group; they combined our group with a group from another ship and there were just too many people traveling single-file to be able to keep up a fast pace.

A side note: when I was not able to finish the hike, they sent up one of the ATV vehicles for me (actually it was a 4-wheeler) and that was a BLAST! I wish we had chosen that instead of the hike. If you want an active shore excursion you might think about that one. It is very dusty,though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived