St John Eco Hike

Bell Ringer

It's not the distance you need to worry about as much as the hills. I remember one Eco Hike that NCL offered which wound up on Honeymoon Bay/Beach -- forget the exact name. But you start off on higher ground and walk down a hill to the beach. I don't think it's steep but if you have ankle problems, you just want to know what to anticipate.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to St John a few years ago on a cruise. We found our own way over by ferry and than an open taxi down to the national park area and did some hiking. I don't remember any big hills but be prepared for the heat and some bugs. Our reward was some beautiful views and we did see an old sugar plantation.

Hello,

There are 20+ trails in the park... some are steeper than others... some short, some long. The eco-hike the cruises offer I think is along Lind Point trail, which is the trail richtersl is refering to. Its not terriably steep but it is up and down with some steeper areas. Here is a description of that trail:

(Distance: 1.1 miles) This trail connects the National Park Visitor Center in Cruz bay with Honeymoon Beach and Caneel Bay. The trail ascends .4 miles to the scenic Lind Point overlook. The overlook is at an elevation of 160 feet and offers a great opportunity to take pictures of Cruz Bay. A side trail at .7 miles leads to Salomon Beach. The trail weaves through semi-dry forest and cactus scrubs.

--Islander

i took this hike through AOS. it wasn't too bad but i don't have any ailments. it does get you to a pristine view of st thomas and also ends at a wondefully private (but really public) beach with the clearest water i have ever seen. i'd definitely take this hike again just to get to this beach!

Archived