Alaska in May

kevinandrenay

Hello all,

I know this may be redundant but 13,000+ threads is a lot to go through. My wife and I are going to Alaska at the end of May. We are trying to find out what ports or stops would be the best for whale watching, dog sledding on snow ( if possible - if not the wheeled sledding will do ), a scenic helicopter or float plane tour, and the best place for wildlife viewing. Also, are there any glaciers that we should see other then the ones we will cruise to? We are going to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, ( cruising Glacier Bay, College Fjord ), McKinley Princess, Denali Princess, and Fairbanks. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. If there is something worth seeing or doing that I did not mention please let me know.

Thanks for your Help,

Kevin :) ;) :o

event.png

Hello all,

I know this may be redundant but 13,000+ threads is a lot to go through. My wife and I are going to Alaska at the end of May. We are trying to find out what ports or stops would be the best for whale watching, dog sledding on snow ( if possible - if not the wheeled sledding will do ), a scenic helicopter or float plane tour, and the best place for wildlife viewing. Also, are there any glaciers that we should see other then the ones we will cruise to? We are going to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, ( cruising Glacier Bay, College Fjord ), McKinley Princess, Denali Princess, and Fairbanks. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. If there is something worth seeing or doing that I did not mention please let me know.

Thanks for your Help,

event.png

Hi Kevin!

When and which ship? We are going May 19th on the Diamond. This will be our second cruise to Alaska. We also went in May the first time. I can tell you what we did last time and what we are doing this time. Also what some of the others in our group did.

May 2004

Skagway: We did the Liarsville expedition (13 of us). It was fun. Nice sites, gold panning (kind of korny - just did pans in troughs). We went up to the "Welcome to Alaska" sign on the border. It was beautiful up there. One of the ladies did a trip where they actually panned in a stream. She said it was COLD!!!!

4 of us then took the Off Road Jeep Adventure. The area that we were supposed to go off roading was frozen over - so we just went up into the Yukon. It was AMAZING!! So beautiful there aren't even words to describe it. We saw Emerald Lake and went to Carcross.

Others in our group did the Train. One lady did the whole day train/bus tour and really enjoyed it. Others did the shorter train only tour. They said they really enjoyed it.

Some people just walked around town and did a little shopping.

Juneau:

My husband went fishing. It was very dry that year and the fishing was BAD!! But he said that they used the bait and fed the eagles. He said it was SSOOO much fun. They would throw the bait in the air and the eagles would swoop down and catch it mid air.

I was supposed to go horse back riding, but hurt my back just before we left and my Dr. said NO. Some of the others went and said it was great. They saw wildlife and the scenery was extraordinary. The horses were easy to ride and no one had any problems.

I went to the Rainforest Garden. Pretty, but not really my type of excursion. We tend to like the more active/high energy type excursions. It was nice to see and the view from the platform was great, but not something I would do again.

Others took the Mt Robertts tram and really enjoyed it.

LOTS of shopping! Of course, we found a couple in our group camped out at the Red Dog Saloon! That was fun to see.

Ketchikan:

This was our favorite excursion. We did the Kart Expedition. 5 of us went and had a BLAST!!!! We've been on 12 cruises and this was one of our favorite excursions of all. I will warn you - you will get DIRTY! It was dry, so we were covered in dust and grime (I'm talking about every imaginable spot on your body getting dirty!!!) But it was worth it!!!! The carts were so much fun to drive! We stopped twice for pictures and to see the scenery. Absolutely beautiful. One thing I would do differently is to do the first tour of the day. We did the second tour and had to go out by Jet boat and come back by bus. The first group went out by bus and came back by jet boat. That would have been better.

Some of the people did the standard town tours and enjoyed them. LOTS of shopping here. Some people didn't do any tours - just walked around town.

Skagway:

We are doing the Eagle Preserve rafting trip. Our TA has done it and said it was great. She said to make sure you either wear waterproof hiking boots or take extra socks. Most likely your feet will get wet.

One couple is doing a kayacking trip.

Others in our group are still deciding - so I don't know yet.

Juneau:

We are doing the dog sledding in the morning. This is not the helicopter out to the glacier, but the camp where you ride the sled with the wheels. There are 4 of us going so far. Some others are still deciding if they want to come with us.

In the afternoon - 3 of us are doing the zip line excursion. We are REALLY looking forward to this one!!

2 are doing the helicopter out to the glaciers where you walk around for about 1/2 an hour.

3 are doing whale watching. Still trying to decide which tour.

Ketchikan:

5 of us are booked with Michelle at Island Wings to fly out to Misty Fjords. This is another trip that we are REALLY looking forward to.

No one else has decided yet.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please feel free!!

Smooth sailing and happy cruising!!

Hi Kevin,

DH and I went to Alaska at the end of May 2006. We did the same route as you it sounds like. We were on the Island Princess. If you want to do whale watching, you HAVE to go in Juneau with Capt. Larry with Orca Enterprises. He is the best way to go! He knows everything! We arranged, also through Orca, a helicopter ride to a glacier and did the dog sledding on the glacier at a camp. The actual dog sledding was "ok" but the helicopter ride was pretty neat, especially landing on snow! Also, seeing what the trainers up on the glacier sleep in is pretty neat also. I would definitely do this tour again. Orca booked the trip for us but it wasn't through Orca. They partner with another company. (We booked this tour on our own, NOT through the cruise line)

In Ketchikan, we did the zip lining tour. If you are adventurous, you have to do this tour as well. We had a blast! (We booked this through the cruise line)

In Skagway, we took a ferry over to Haines and did a jetboat river tour that was supposed to show us all kinds of wildlife! :rolleyes: Needless to say, we only saw one moose and a few eagles but being that we were at the end of our cruise, eagles were like crows/pigeons to us by then! Very disappointed and we froze on the jetboats. I wouldn't do this tour again!

Good luck with your planning and enjoy your cruise! :D

Ketchikan:

This was our favorite excursion. We did the Kart Expedition. 5 of us went and had a BLAST!!!! We've been on 12 cruises and this was one of our favorite excursions of all. I will warn you - you will get DIRTY! It was dry, so we were covered in dust and grime (I'm talking about every imaginable spot on your body getting dirty!!!) But it was worth it!!!! The carts were so much fun to drive! We stopped twice for pictures and to see the scenery. Absolutely beautiful. One thing I would do differently is to do the first tour of the day. We did the second tour and had to go out by Jet boat and come back by bus. The first group went out by bus and came back by jet boat. That would have been better.

I'm REALLY glad you posted this. Several posters have requested information on Adventure Karts, and, although my SIL, BIL and nieces took this excursion in 2005, any information I've offered has been second hand. They had a wonderful time, too! They went by bus, back by boat. My family decided to forgo it that year, but my boys do wish they'd've taken it after they heard their cousins describing it.:) Last year, we just didn't have the port time.

Not much information about this excursion is offered on these boards. Perhaps it's the expense, or just little in the way of recommendations. Anyway, no doubt your post will be helpful to some using the search feature for first-hand experience with this excursion!

Hi Kevin!

I saw your post under the roll calls. Too bad we are on different ships! There are a couple other people I've been chatting with that will be on our ship. There are 10 of us leaving from Milwaukee. In fact my Mom is thinking of joining the other people from the boards for Whale Watching in Juneau if no one in our group is going.

These boards are great. Puts you in touch with people that have the same interests!

Hope you have a great cruise!

Hello all,

Thanks for your Help,

event.png

Here's a few links for you :)

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/United_States_of_America/Alaska/Denali_National_Park_and_Preserve-738184/Things_To_Do-Denali_National_Park_and_Preserve-TG-C-1.html

http://www.princesslodges.com/mckinley_lodge.cfm

http://www.travelalaska.com/

http://www.nps.gov/dena/

http://www.katmailand.com/bear-viewing/index.html

We went in May 2002; did the land portion first then southbound cruise on the Sun. It was a wonderful 11 days. We had terrific weather with lots of sun and almost no rain except for the cruise time near the glaciers.

The Denali Princess Lodge is very nice but for us the McKinley Lodge was Spectacular! The view out the lodge windows was all of the Mountain! We saw the top of the mountain for the 3 days we were there. People have said that spring is before the air currents change and the clouds move in and block out a lot of it.

It was neat to see the plants change and bud as we traveled south from Fairbanks. Be sure to set your camera without a flash to get a picture late one "land night" to use the long daylight instead.

The bus/train excursion into the Yukon from Skagway was beautiful. We had fog on the way up the mountains that just lifted as we stopped to take pictures at the summit. On the train ride down, be sure to look behind you as you go around curves or over the bridges. It is quite a sight. We still had time to do a little shopping in town when we got back and a drink in the Saloon!

Juneau, we did a whale watch and then the helicopter to land on Mendenhall Glacier. I never thought I would take a helicopter but the ride was very smooth and walking on the glacier was a once in a life time experience.

Those were our highlights. After I see Italy and Greece and Australia I want to go back to Alaska. My husband wants to drive a lot of it or take a small ship into the Arctic Circle. Have a wonderful time.

We are taking our third cruise to Alaska this May on Celebrity Summit, went in May 2004 and May 2005 on a 14 night from San Diego. We had wonderful weather on both cruises. This year we will take a N/B 13 night cruisetour to Fairbanks. Our favorite tours so far:

Ketchikan-Floatplane/cruise to Misty Fjords National Monument.

Juneau-Whale watching/Orca Point Lodge salmon bake.

Skagway-We rented a car and drove to Carcross, Yukon as we had done the train the prior year...actually enjoyed the car much better than the train.

This year we have booked a cruise-only to Misty Fjords, booked a car for Skagway, taking another whale watching tour in Juneau, a whale-watch wildlife tour with Capt. Floyd in Hoonah(our first time there), and we are considering the Artic Circle flight from Fairbanks. My husband hates helicopters (he is involved with maintenance of aircraft), so we stick to floatplanes. We can hardly wait! Have fun!

• 2 months later...

May is a great time in Alaska, but better if you are visiting interior after a cruise, so to be there later into May and June. Denali Park is the key here, getting as far into the Park as possible.

Of your list- whale watching- Juneau. Glacier dog sledding Juneau or Skagway- if going out of Juneau, strongly consider independent with cobooking, saves an hour in shuttle time over booking independent. Glacier helicopter landing Skagway or Juneau.

Float plane Misty Fjords Ketchikan. :) Independent is superior for a more personal experience and usually longer flights. Taku Lodge salmon bake out of Juneau also is a scenic float plane trip.

For wildlife- BE CERTAIN you have the Tundra Wilderness tour included in yur cruisetour. This is your best wildlife opportunity of your entire trip.

If going north- being out before dawn heading into Glacier Bay is excellent for humpback sightings.

Hi Kevin,

DH and I went to Alaska at the end of May 2006. We did the same route as you it sounds like. We were on the Island Princess. If you want to do whale watching, you HAVE to go in Juneau with Capt. Larry with Orca Enterprises. He is the best way to go! He knows everything! We arranged, also through Orca, a helicopter ride to a glacier and did the dog sledding on the glacier at a camp. The actual dog sledding was "ok" but the helicopter ride was pretty neat, especially landing on snow! Also, seeing what the trainers up on the glacier sleep in is pretty neat also. I would definitely do this tour again. Orca booked the trip for us but it wasn't through Orca. They partner with another company. (We booked this tour on our own, NOT through the cruise line)

In Ketchikan, we did the zip lining tour. If you are adventurous, you have to do this tour as well. We had a blast! (We booked this through the cruise line)

In Skagway, we took a ferry over to Haines and did a jetboat river tour that was supposed to show us all kinds of wildlife! :rolleyes: Needless to say, we only saw one moose and a few eagles but being that we were at the end of our cruise, eagles were like crows/pigeons to us by then! Very disappointed and we froze on the jetboats. I wouldn't do this tour again!

Good luck with your planning and enjoy your cruise! :D

I have booked this same tour with orca and coastal helicopters. I am curious about the dogsledding that you said that it was ok. Now I am a bit nervous, should I change the dogsledding tour to another company?

Archived