St. Martin or St. Thomas Jewelery

brideof10years

My beautiful, wonderful wife of 15 years makes jewelry and we often use our cruises to the eastern Caribbean to purchase loose stones, primarily tanzanite, tourmaline and blue spinels along with larimar. In all the years we've gone down there and made purchases, we have never been disappointed - not once. In our experience, we found that the prices on jewelry were, generally, better in St. Maarten than in St. Thomas. The only exception to that rule were emeralds which we thought were just a bit cheaper in St. Thomas. We've also bought many rings, bracelets and gold chains in St. Thomas and in St. Maarten and they typically have appraised for a minimum of 6 times what we paid for them. The biggest surprise was a diamond tennis bracelet my DW bought three years ago at an off street jewelry store in St. Thomas. She paid $1100 for it and the gemologist at home appraised it at almost $6700. We'll be in St. Maarten on our upcoming February 25 Valor cruise and we'll be hanging out on Front Street and the surrounding area. One suggestion I'd make is, do not be afraid to walk into a jewelry store that isn't on the cruiseline's preferred shopping list. To the contrary, quite often, these "other stores" will sell you a piece of jewelry that is of equal quality to what you'd find in a preferred store, but for much less money. We go where we want and buy where we want. Have fun!

Just as an aside, last year, in St. Maarten, (since people have been talking about watches on this post), my missus made a deal to buy two rings in an off street jewelry store in St. Maarten. Total price was about $3200. The store owner saw me ogling a Citizen Eco Drive Sky Hawk watch that retails in the states for around $400. To show his appreciation for our purchasing the rings, HE GAVE ME THE WATCH!!!! And to be on the safe side, I did in fact take it to a time piece store when we got home and yes, it was the real deal - it wasn't a fake and it wasn't a knock off product.

We just got back from the E. Carib on the Victory and I was specifically looking for a Tanzanite ring or bracelet. We looked at a ring in the Diamond International shop in St Martin that I thought was beautiful but it was going to cost about 1800.00 so we decided to just go with the bracelet instead. When we got back to the ship my husband wanted to go look in the onboard jewelry shop and I found the same Tanzanite and Diamond ring there and it was ALOT cheaper. They had it for 1200.00 and they gave us an additional 25% off so we got it for around 975.00. You might want to take a look around in the jewelry shop on your ship you will be amazed at the prices.

:D Hello all - I shop at HOUSE OF RAJAH in St. Thomas. Downtown area just off the main road 32 Raadet's Gade - owner is George (family owned and run for over 30 yrs. in the same spot). I first went to him in 1994, cruise director told me of this place. Since 1994 I have spent over 20 grand with him, and the states it is all appraised and insured for just under 75 grand. My biggest purchase was just 3 yrs. ago a 3 ctw. round set in a new diamond engagement band (20th anniversary), I paid $8000. for the whole ring and center diamond - had it appraised in Minnesota for $21,000, my biggest ever deal. Diamond is G in color - super nice. I purchase anything and everything with them including for family & friends - he sends me a few items for people to look at, then they settle up with him, and I mail the rest back. 100% satisfaction guarenteed, plus he has repair connection in the US. In 13 yrs. of doing business here, I have had 9 friends purchase engagement rings from him and they have saved anywhere in the range of $300. to $2000. from US stores. Check them out - tell George you want the Renee from Minnesota deal - he will surely help you out. March of 08 when we return there, I am planning on the 2.ctw diamond stud earrings - surely something I really need. Enjoy all.:D

Several of you have suggested doing research before...but what if you don't know what you want.

My wife and I are going in March. We have no idea what we might get. We don't buy jewelry. I could probably tell the difference between gold and diamond...but only if I look real close. :D

Do I just trust that pretty much whatever we end up buying, we likely got at a good deal?

Are there a lot of rip off stories? Seems that most people have pretty good experiences.

Thanks!

That was one of the sites I used to use to compare...their prices have really gone up lately. I bought this watch for $235 in one of the shops in Havensight in St. Thomas. When I came home and looked at it, this site had it for $245...now look at the price.

http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/AP1024-56P.asp

I'm confused about where to buy this watch....St. Thomas, St Maarten or online. Please advise.:confused:

If you find a watch you like online, search out the model number on google...find the prices and print them out.

Take that list with you when you hit the ports and compare the prices.

If you can't get it for a better deal in the Caribbean, then order it when you get home.

If it is that particular watch, I got mine in Havensight Mall (cruise dock mall) in St Thomas at a shop run by a couple Indian fellows. They had a little no-name shop over by AH Rise that was very plain but loaded with jewelry. I bought this one for $235 and worked a deal for a charm watch for my wife (which she never wears) for $90. (this one http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/EW8400-55A.asp)

My husband and I are going on our first cruise this June (Eastern - Valor) for our anniversary. We have been told that there are great deals on diamonds over seas....my question is does anyone know which island has the best deals and or selections? I would hate to get to the last port only to find out I should have purchased something at the previous ports? Thanks for any input.

St. Maarten is the best, and be sure and get your free bracelet cause the chain is good to start a good charm bracelet. Bought some really nice diamonds in St Maarten. Have a wonderful time, great cruise so great we are going back in December in the same ship to the same place 9 family members

If you find a watch you like online, search out the model number on google...find the prices and print them out.

Take that list with you when you hit the ports and compare the prices.

If you can't get it for a better deal in the Caribbean, then order it when you get home.

If it is that particular watch, I got mine in Havensight Mall (cruise dock mall) in St Thomas at a shop run by a couple Indian fellows. They had a little no-name shop over by AH Rise that was very plain but loaded with jewelry. I bought this one for $235 and worked a deal for a charm watch for my wife (which she never wears) for $90. (this one http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/EW8400-55A.asp)

phlydude...........you are probably talking about Celebrity Jewelers. They are a couple of stores down from AH Rise and is run by a faily of Indians. Ask for Mark or David.....at least that is who I dealt with. Bought my first tennis bracelet many years ago and then on the next cruise, brought it back to them for an upgrade and they upgraded me to a larger tennis bracklet. I've done that a few times now and on this next trip, I'm getting the one I actually want.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Azura by Jewels are really nice and reasonable we went to a buy a good watch and walked out spending over $10,000 on three. Larry and Krista couldn't be nicer. I was referred by someone on the ship to them, and would like to pass the recomendation along. They are in the waterfront location in St Thomas, near where the cabs drop you off.

They are recomended on the cruise ship shopping brochures also. The website is http://www.azurabyjewels.com

The advice to pre-shop is the best advice you can get. Even if you don't know what you want. I would go to a nice jewelery store in your area and see what styles and prices they have. More important than that take a look at the quality of the construction. Look at how the stones are set. Is the mounting heavy or flyweight? Does it feel expensive? Is the stone a consistant color or are there areas that are lighter? How well are the stones cut?

Shopping in at both of these ports is an expreince. But if you are looking for a deal you have to know what you are looking at. If they are telling you it is a great quality, ask them why. If there answer seem weak press them for more information. A 1ct. diamond ring can cost between 599 an 6500 in the states depending on quality. The same is true in these ports.

Haggle! the first price you see is going to be higher than the price you would pay at home. Don't be afraid to ask for a better price. And when you get the associates best price ask for the managers best price. If you don't get the price you want walk away. There is a chance they will go lower just to make the sale.

Finally, No one will ever sell something for less then it cost. If a deal just seems too good, a Rolex president (22,000 retail us) for 7,000 USD (i have seen it) is probably no deal at all. The watch might be used or have a fake movement.

Thereis an old saying that goes something like this "even a blind pig finds a nut sometimes" Image the number of nuts it would find if it knew how to look for them. Enjoy!

The advice to pre-shop is the best advice you can get. Even if you don't know what you want. I would go to a nice jewelery store in your area and see what styles and prices they have. More important than that take a look at the quality of the construction. Look at how the stones are set. Is the mounting heavy or flyweight? Does it feel expensive? Is the stone a consistant color or are there areas that are lighter? How well are the stones cut?

Shopping in at both of these ports is an expreince. But if you are looking for a deal you have to know what you are looking at. If they are telling you it is a great quality, ask them why. If there answer seem weak press them for more information. A 1ct. diamond ring can cost between 599 an 6500 in the states depending on quality. The same is true in these ports.

Haggle! the first price you see is going to be higher than the price you would pay at home. Don't be afraid to ask for a better price. And when you get the associates best price ask for the managers best price. If you don't get the price you want walk away. There is a chance they will go lower just to make the sale.

Finally, No one will ever sell something for less then it cost. If a deal just seems too good, a Rolex president (22,000 retail us) for 7,000 USD (i have seen it) is probably no deal at all. The watch might be used or have a fake movement.

Thereis an old saying that goes something like this "even a blind pig finds a nut sometimes" Image the number of nuts it would find if it knew how to look for them. Enjoy!

GREAT ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you

Off topic a bit but I'm so excited! I lost my diamond and emerald tennis bracelet about a year ago. :( Had to find receipt--$820 in Costa Maya. Put in claim to homeowner's insurance which had cancelled us for a month later.:mad: Got my check for about $350.

Yesterday my daughter found it in the jewelry box everyone has searched ten times. :eek: My house does have frequent bizarre happenings like this...it's haunted by dead relatives who think it's funny to hide things.:D

Sure seems to be off topic.

I'm not exactly certain what you're "so excited" about, but I assume that it's that you found the tennis bracelet?

So did you send your insurance company a check for the $350?

gary

I always do very well in Majestic Jewelers in St Thomas. They are across the street from the Port in the small strip mall. I bought a beautiful tanzanite and opal pendant with a 14k gold chain for a steal! I plan on going back this April.

I also did very well Kay Jewelers in St Maarten at the Port too. I also think the jewelry prices are pretty good on the ship or comparable to the stores. But like everyone says, if your immediate feeling is "love it got to have it", then go for it. Cannot wait to do more jewelry shopping in both ports this cruise. I want a pink sapphire ring and more tanzanite. My daughter wants caribbean topaz stud earrings. Happy shopping!

Archived