cabin space/beds

awesummom1

We have been searching to take our first family cruise. We have 2 kids, 11 and 19. If we book the trip for 4, would we automatically get 2 cabins if we choose a standard room? Or would all 4 sleep in 1 cabin? Most I've seen look like they have only 2 twin beds or 1 king. I can't seem to find the answer to this.

Most ships have rooms that will accommodate 4 people in them, but it depends on the category you are looking at. On RCCL for example, almost all of their ships have at least a few cabins in each category (inside, oceanview, balcony, and suite) that accommodate 4 people by having two twin beds that form a queen PLUS pullman beds that drop down from the ceiling and/or a sofa bed.

If you want two rooms, then you need to book each room separately for 2 people. BUT, you need to compare the costs. The cost of a room is per person. Most cruiselines have a certain rate for the 1st and 2nd passenger in a room, and then a discounted rate for the 3rd and 4th passenger in a room (the discount varies on the ship, itinerary, and week). Sometimes booking one room for 4 people will be less expensive, sometimes booking 2 rooms will be the same price.

You're best bet may be to talk to a travel agent and price different options on different cruiselines.

NO you will not automatically get 2 cabins, they will put all 4 of you in one cabin unless you book 2.

If you all want to be in one than you would be more comfortable in a family suite, you can also book 2 ajoining cabins.

What Cruiseline are you thinking about going on?

some have different rules on the ages kids have to be to have their own cabin.

We are considering NCL or Carnival. Thank you very much for the advice.

The Rule on Carnival is someone in the cabin has to be 25, there are 2 ways to get around this, you can book a cabin next door or directly across the hall for the kids, or you can book you in one cabin with one child and your husband in the other, then after you board the ship you can have the cabin keys straightened out at the pursers deck.

We have done both these things with our kids and it is always no problem.

For the sake of everyone's safety and comfort, fellow passengers as well as your family members, I would think you would want to book either (1) a cabin that will accommodate all four family members or (2) two adjacent cabins with a connecting door.

Can't imagine the Hotel Manager agreeing to defy corporate policies (RE: minimum age of one cabin occupant) to straighten out the keys once on board ... nor can I imagine that a respectable TA would encourage you to bunk your kids across the hall in defiance of the line's policies.

nor can I imagine that a respectable TA would encourage you to bunk your kids across the hall in defiance of the line's policies.

It is fine with the cruiseline to bunk your kids in the cabin directly across from you, they just don't want them down the hall or further.

I book my kids (12,19,20) in the cabin across the hall from mine on every cruise, the PVP says that is perfectly fine and i have never had a problem doing this, but i would never do it if my kids were younger.

I also go to the desk and get an extra room key so i can check on them and they all have to be in the cabin for the night by a certain time.

Archived