One Day in Bermuda

smrtypnts

I am on a cruise which only stops in Bermuda for one day. It sets sail at 5pm, so I'll want/need to be back at the ship at 4pm or earlier. What would you recommend to do for one day? Port stop is at 8am. So I basically do have all day. What is the one thing that you feel is a "can't miss"?

Thanks, in advance!!:)

Many things to do and/or see in Bermuda.

If you golf ... this is the place.

Shopping ... Front Street in Hamilton. Not cheap but classy.

Beach ... Horseshoe Bay (other good ones too).

History and quaint ... St George.

Beauty ... the entire island.

Local interest ... Caverns, Aquarium, Perfume factory, etc.

My recommendation for a first time visit ... hire a cab. Just about all drivers are qualified guides and can show you a lot of the island in your time frame.

I hope you enjoy the island.

If I only had one day, I'd take a boat tour around the island and then go to a beach. But I guess it depends on what kind of things interest you.

I'm definitely a beach/boat person.

Also, helmet diving is a pretty cool way to see the underwater life and not many places have it besides Bermuda.

http://www.bermuda4u.com/Activities/bermuda_activities_helmet_diving.html

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with DDoll to see the beaches and take a boat tour.

We did a 1 1/2 hour boat tour that left right by where the smaller ships dock on Front St. in Hamilton. I believe the name of the boat was the Explorer and the Captain just collected $30 pp person cash when you got on. Beautiful to see the homes from the water and get the history of the island narrated by the Captain.

When back, walk up two blocks from Front St. to the main bus area and hop a bus to Horseshoe Bay or take a cab to save some time. Head back to Hamilton via bus (the bus ride a nice tour as well!) can do a little shopping in Hamilton and assuming you are docked at Kings Wharf if you are only there for a day on a larger ship, take a ferry ride back to the ship. (ferry is also right there on Front St.)

• 4 weeks later...
I agree with DDoll to see the beaches and take a boat tour.

We did a 1 1/2 hour boat tour that left right by where the smaller ships dock on Front St. in Hamilton. I believe the name of the boat was the Explorer and the Captain just collected $30 pp person cash when you got on. Beautiful to see the homes from the water and get the history of the island narrated by the Captain.

When back, walk up two blocks from Front St. to the main bus area and hop a bus to Horseshoe Bay or take a cab to save some time. Head back to Hamilton via bus (the bus ride a nice tour as well!) can do a little shopping in Hamilton and assuming you are docked at Kings Wharf if you are only there for a day on a larger ship, take a ferry ride back to the ship. (ferry is also right there on Front St.)

We are docking at Kings Wharf:

Would you remember how much it cost to take the bus and Taxi to Horseshoe bay? How much does it cost to go back to kings wharf on the ferry? Where to you buy the bus and ferry passes? Thankyou

We are docking at Kings Wharf:

Would you remember how much it cost to take the bus and Taxi to Horseshoe bay? How much does it cost to go back to kings wharf on the ferry? Where to you buy the bus and ferry passes? Thankyou

The bus/ferry pass is I think $12.00 for a one day pass(and slightly less per day for a 2 or 3 day pass. They sold them both on the ship and by the booth when you get off the ship. A taxi from Kings Wharf to Horseshoe Bay was about $30.00...it has gone up since I took it last and there is a 25% surcharge for Sunday. If you don't get a pass, individual Ferry are $4.00 but they don't accept cash you have to get a coupon. Bus trips vary by zone.

I have to disagree on renting a scooter if you want to be back on the ship in one piece. Even the cruise lines put warnings on the front of the dailys warning against them and that they discourage their use. There are passengers seen on about every cruise ship with bumps, cuts and slings from using those things. There are fatalities even.

Traffic is horrible in some places and all roads narrow and winding and even a bus ride can be harrowing.

Anyway, just but the one day bus pass for $12 and try to get it on the ship to avoid the line at the visitors stand where you get off the ship. You could get creative and take the bus from King's Wharf to Horseshoe Bay, then take the bus back into Hamilton and see a bit of it.

The ferry is right on the main street and you can ride it back to the dockyard to your ship and have a free water tour.

We didn't really find the scooter to be that dangerous. The traffic really was not that bad, as long as you avoid Hamilton at rush hour. We didn't see any "bumps, cuts, and slings" on our ship, and a ton of people rented scooters and had lots of fun. For us, it was much more fun to be outside on a scooter than cooped up on a bus while in a beautiful location. The dailys [sic] also often warn against booking your own excursions as well. If even one person gets injured, they want to try to insulate themselves from lawsuits by placing such disclaimers. Anyway, the bus system there is fine if you are not feeling adverturous (though waiting for them will certainly consume some of your time on the island); scooters are, of course, a risk (just like snorkeling, diving, rock climbing, cave tubing, and many other fun things you can do on vacation), but I strongly disagree that they should be generally discouraged to everyone.

I would agree in not renting scooters. The bus transportation is excellent. It goes all over the island. If you get a day pass it will also include using the ferries. We have always enjoyed taking the bus and getting a chance to talk with the locals. The are very proud of their island and love to talk about it.

I understand were the mopes would be dangerous - but my husband and I ride a motorcycles (ok he drives, I ride) in the mountains of West Virginia - twisty roads - narrow. Would it be much different - Just on the otherside of the road? Right? - any opinions - He loves to ride - even took the bike out the other day in 40 degree weather.

Debbie

Also we live near a small city - so we have done the city traffic and last time in Mexico we rented quads - and part of the trip was on the city streets

Definitely not much different -- in fact, the roads are much flatter in Bermuda than they would be in WV. It was my first time riding a moped and one of my husband's first times driving, and it was really pretty easy and very fun! The locals also know that tons of tourists are riding around on mopeds, so they responded pretty courteously and seemed attentive to our presence on the road!

Can you tell me more about the one day bus pass? Can you just ride around on the bus and get off where you want? Does it cover most of the island or just a small area?

Laura

The all day pass covers the entire island and all the busses and all the ferries. You can get on and off as much as you want. Its a relarively small island and the buses go from one end to the other as does the ferries.

as for Mopeds...there are many articles about accidents on Bermuda. Besides narrow roads(narrower then W. VA.), buses which take both sides, sand on the roads(which make it slick), and wrong side driving-with traffic coming in from unexpected sides, I see nothing wrong with an experienced driver taking one...its the ametuers that get in trouble...

Can you tell me more about the one day bus pass? Can you just ride around on the bus and get off where you want? Does it cover most of the island or just a small area?

Laura

Yes! We found the bus/ferry pass to be the best deal for getting around Bermuda! You can actually see a lot in one day by riding the bus. Don't miss the towns of Hamilton and St. Georges - really different ambiences, IMHO! We also enjoyed walking along the beaches, especialy the nice long hike on the beach and some on the grassy trail from Long Bay to Horseshoe Bay. That takes a couple hours, though, so you may not have enough time to do that and see all the other places. But do be sure and get to see Horseshow Bay, if at all possible! You can get off the bus there and then walk down to the each. On the way back up to the road it saves time (and energy!) to spend the buck or so to ride up in one of the vans available there. Have a great day!!

I have to disagree on renting a scooter if you want to be back on the ship in one piece. Even the cruise lines put warnings on the front of the dailys warning against them and that they discourage their use. There are passengers seen on about every cruise ship with bumps, cuts and slings from using those things. There are fatalities even.

Traffic is horrible in some places and all roads narrow and winding and even a bus ride can be harrowing.

Anyway, just but the one day bus pass for $12 and try to get it on the ship to avoid the line at the visitors stand where you get off the ship. You could get creative and take the bus from King's Wharf to Horseshoe Bay, then take the bus back into Hamilton and see a bit of it.

The ferry is right on the main street and you can ride it back to the dockyard to your ship and have a free water tour.

Thank you Tinker and all of you for your great ideas. We will be traveling with our two boys 11 and 16 years old. Are the Bus/Ferry passes less for children fro one day? How long does it take to get back to the cruise ship (by ferry) from horseshoe bay?

(How is the snokeling at horseshoe By?):cool:

What if we go to Hamilton first and then to horseshoe Bay. Is it better and easier to take the ferry to Hamilton to shop and then take the bus to horseshoe bay. From there should we take the bus again to the cruise ship? How much time should we allow to get back to the ship?

Thanks again for putting up with all my needs.:rolleyes: Natdal

Thank you Tinker and all of you for your great ideas. We will be traveling with our two boys 11 and 16 years old. Are the Bus/Ferry passes less for children fro one day? How long does it take to get back to the cruise ship (by ferry) from horseshoe bay?

(How is the snokeling at horseshoe By?):cool:

What if we go to Hamilton first and then to horseshoe Bay. Is it better and easier to take the ferry to Hamilton to shop and then take the bus to horseshoe bay. From there should we take the bus again to the cruise ship? How much time should we allow to get back to the ship?

Thanks again for putting up with all my needs.:rolleyes: Natdal

I do not know about the price of children's tickets for the bus/ferry. I believe they are less though. It takes about 30 -40 minutes to get from Horseshoe Bay back to the ship. The main problem will be hitting the bus schedule just right to catch that return bus. It is about 1/3 - 1/2 mile from the beach to the highway where the buses pick up.

I think you should go to Hamilton first by ferry and then catch the bus to Horseshoe Bay for swimming and snorkeling (snorkeling is ok there, better at St. George IMHO, but the overall beach is so much more impressive at Horseshoe Bay.) Oh and you cannot ride the bus in a wet (or even showing) swimsuit. There are changing rooms there at Horseshoe Bay though.:)

I do not know about the price of children's tickets for the bus/ferry. I believe they are less though. It takes about 30 -40 minutes to get from Horseshoe Bay back to the ship. The main problem will be hitting the bus schedule just right to catch that return bus. It is about 1/3 - 1/2 mile from the beach to the highway where the buses pick up.

I think you should go to Hamilton first by ferry and then catch the bus to Horseshoe Bay for swimming and snorkeling (snorkeling is ok there, better at St. George IMHO, but the overall beach is so much more impressive at Horseshoe Bay.) Oh and you cannot ride the bus in a wet (or even showing) swimsuit. There are changing rooms there at Horseshoe Bay though.:)

Thanks,We will shop first then beach it now. so you would not take the ferry from horseshoe bay back to the ship and why? is it because it takes longer to get it the ferry dock or longer to get to the ship then the bus? Your a great help. Thanks,natdal

I understand were the mopes would be dangerous - but my husband and I ride a motorcycles (ok he drives, I ride) in the mountains of West Virginia - twisty roads - narrow. Would it be much different - Just on the otherside of the road? Right? - any opinions

I have to say the most difficult part of driving on the left side is the right turns. Here in the US, you get so accustomed to just slowing down and coasting through intersections for right turns, that it becomes second nature. Right turns in Bermuda are the same as left turns here. You have to cut across traffic. So be very careful of those!

The other difficult part would be the "roundabouts", or rotaries as we call them. Not only is it the wrong side of the road, it's the opposite direction around the rotary. And then they throw in an occasional double rotary (like a figure 8) and oyvey! Talk about confusing! We were with two other couples when we went off exploring the island on our mopeds. We were very fortunate there were no other vehicles around when we screwed up driving through that double roundabout.

Oh yeah, one more thing: The first time we rode a moped there, the locals kept driving past us calling out, "Indicator!" and waving their arms.

No, it isn't a local greeting. Turns out we kept forgetting to turn our turn signals off after turning.

It really annoys them. :rolleyes:

Archived