Dining Room Attire Thought

Editor

Okay. I may be starting a huge fued, but because so many people stress over the proper attire, maybe people should be allowed to wear what they want (within reason of course). I mean, what's wrong with a very nice pair of jeans or cotton slacks, capris, etc. I don't see why there has to be this uptight formality.

We're all on vacation! We should be able to relax and wear what we want.

I've been to many beautiful resorts and have seen people wear everything from shorts and sandals, to gorgeous dresses and suits. I don't CARE what YOU have on!! Enjoy and have a great time in the style that suits you.

My two cents worth.

While that would be fine with me - it AIN'T gonna happen, unless you cruise NCL.

There are still too many people who like to dress up. And there are plenty of alternate venues now on cruise ships for people who don't want to dress up, so I sincerely doubt that many other lines will be willing to change policy in the near future.

Okay. I may be starting a huge fued, but because so many people stress over the proper attire, maybe people should be allowed to wear what they want (within reason of course). I mean, what's wrong with a very nice pair of jeans or cotton slacks, capris, etc. I don't see why there has to be this uptight formality.

We're all on vacation! We should be able to relax and wear what we want.

I've been to many beautiful resorts and have seen people wear everything from shorts and sandals, to gorgeous dresses and suits. I don't CARE what YOU have on!! Enjoy and have a great time in the style that suits you.

My two cents worth.

My exact sentiments. I have been on 8 cruises and on my first cruise I came to the cruise critic for advice and was overwhelmed with the dress code threads. Come to find out being on a cruise is exactly like being on land. People wear what they are comforable in and what they think is acceptable to wear to the dining room and you know people who read these boards are in the minority on the ship. So, I don't advocate looking like a slob, you don't have to break the bank buying clothes. A nice pair of jeans, capri are fine

Editor...those are the rules....from Princess. Actually those rules only apply to the dining room at dinner. If you don't like them you have the option to dine in a different venue, cruise with a line that has no rules...or choose a different type of vacation where you can do as you please when and where you please. Some of us actually like the dress code.

I think I have found what cruise line those that wish to dress casually should consider. It's NCL. I saw one posting there where the poster suggested the following for men's footwear on the cruise.

Black sandals for dinner, tennis shoes, and a pair of "good" (quotes are mine) flip flops!

I loved this.

Our daughter and her husband just booked a cruise on NCL because they DON'T feel like dressing up and just want to lay in the sun, read books, and relax.

It seems that there is a cruise line for everyone.

We like to dress for dinner, so we'll stick with Princess for now.

Yep, this will likely start a huge feud and get poofed so I'm not going to waste a lot of posts on this. You have many options for places to eat other than the dining rooms if dressing up even a little just isn't your thing. Dress codes according to the Patters on our most recent cruise apply to the dining rooms only. As others have mentioned, there is a choice of cruise line for those who find even those minimal restrictions too much.

I understand the point you are making, about having respect for others. Respect is a two-way street. Understand that many do not share the same opinion. Disagreeing with your idea is just that - disagreement, not a condemnation of your character. Personally, I believe that relaxing social standards in any arena encourages more of the behaviors we dislike, whether it be chair hogs, line-butting, or whatever. Honestly, the standards Princess sets aren't very restrictive nor are they difficult to follow. Most nights, it's dress up just a little, and some nights, it's dress up a little more. That should give most people plenty of room to be comfortable and display a little respect for those whose opinion is different.

I think that its wonderful if you want to dress for dinner. But you shouldn't feel out of place if you don't. And why should I eat at the buffet because of how I'm dressed? I should be able to eat in the dining room. And maybe I don't want to cruise NCL.

All I'm saying is to each his own.

I think I have found what cruise line those that wish to dress casually should consider. It's NCL. I saw one posting there where the poster suggested the following for men's footwear on the cruise.

Black sandals for dinner, tennis shoes, and a pair of "good" (quotes are mine) flip flops!

I loved this.

Our daughter and her husband just booked a cruise on NCL because they DON'T feel like dressing up and just want to lay in the sun, read books, and relax.

It seems that there is a cruise line for everyone.

We like to dress for dinner, so we'll stick with Princess for now.

Sorry, NCL does have a specific policy on Clothing in the Dining Rooms. Flip Flops, somebodys dream! ;)

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/staticPages.html?pageId=cruise_faq#whatpack

What Should I Pack?

Freestyle Cruising gives you the freedom to dress as you please. So come as you are. No need to check for a suggested dress code in the ship's Freestyle Daily as you would on traditional cruises. Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. If you like, you can slip into a pair of khakis and a polo shirt, a skirt and blouse or a sundress for dinner. We do not allow jeans, T-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of the restaurants at dinner

Well said SpongeRob! There are a few occasions that I don't feel like dressing for dinner, then I hit the buffet or order room service and everyone is happy. I certainly don't feel comfortable in a fine restaurant, with fine service, being served fine food while I'm scrounging around in my "playclothes", at sea or on land!

NCL did change their policy of allowing jeans just recently.

The Princess Patters only say no shorts and no t-shirts even though their year old answer book says no jeans. I'll see next month what folks are wearing to the dining room on the Western side of the states as opposed to the Eastern side. What people wear does not offend me nor is any of my business. It does not affect me at all. What affects me is snotty, rude people that I run into on the ship.

NCL did change their policy of allowing jeans just recently.

Cruised Last month on the Pearl, No Change. If you read the boards from the cruisers returning in last couple of days still no change in policy. If you believe they changed policy please show me in writing, like I supplied to you.:)

Editor[/b];8971872]Okay. I may be starting a huge fued, but because so many people stress over the proper attire, maybe people should be allowed to wear what they want (within reason of course). I mean, what's wrong with a very nice pair of jeans or cotton slacks, capris, etc. I don't see why there has to be this uptight formality.

My two cents worth.

I hope your screen name isn't a job description.:p

You don't assign much value to your opinion.

All I'm saying is to each his own.
Swim against the stream if you must. I can't control if or how dress codes are enforced. And I can certainly cut people a lot of slack so long it is apparent that they are trying to live within the spirit, if not the letter, of the law. (I know it's not a law, let's not get into semantics those of you who I can tell are already madly trying to hit the reply button to catch me out on this, it's just a nice turn of a phrase, that's all, jeesh :) ) I can't force anyone to do anything they don't want to do. And you can't prevent me forming an opinion about your dress. If you don't like what you think anyone might be thinking, that's your baggage, not mine.

Editor...those are the rules....from Princess. Actually those rules only apply to the dining room at dinner. If you don't like them you have the option to dine in a different venue, cruise with a line that has no rules...or choose a different type of vacation where you can do as you please when and where you please. Some of us actually like the dress code.

You left out the option of disregarding the stated dress guidelines (as many people do) and accepting whatever the consequences are--usually none. One of the consequences is that some people here will accuse you of caring only about yourself and/or being responsible for the downfall of western civilization. People will have to determine how important this approval/disapproval is for themselves.

Personally, I like to dress up and don't care what others wear (although I might find it interesting). Everyone has their own reasons for dressing the way they do. I don't know all those reasons. And it's not for me to judge whether someone else's reasons are valid.

This always ends up being a discussion of being judgmental, insensitive, etc.

To me it seems pretty simple. Princess posts the rules about what to wear in the dining room and provides alternative dining areas (e.g. buffet) for those that choose not to follow them. These rules are not a mystery - they are available ahead of time to anyone.

Norwegian has a different policy - if not dressing up is a priority, sounds like they are a better fit.

Why not simply comply with the clearly stated policies, or choose another vacation option if they are too onerous?

Just my $.02.

As a Brit, I suppose I'll get flamed here, I am really amused about all these posts regarding jeans. It strikes me that people who keep on about jeans in the dining room have, in their own estimation, a statement to make.

Could you tell us folks across the pond " Whats the statement"

To us, jeans are work clothes that are worn at work simply for the reason they are hard wearimg. Sure, some kids and people who should know better, spend lots of money for the leather tag on the back but, in the long run, they are still work clothes. In fact, come to think of it, the next post on what to wear might be " Can I wear my bib and brace dungarees in the dining room." Maybe James Dean has affected some of your thinking in this matter but to my mind its seems its more like Gabby Hayes.

Jimmy

As a Brit, I suppose I'll get flamed here, I am really amused about all these posts regarding jeans. It strikes me that people who keep on about jeans in the dining room have, in their own estimation, a statement to make.

To us, jeans are work clothes that are worn at work simply for the reason they are hard wearimg. Sure, some kids and people who should know better, spend lots of money for the leather tag on the back but, in the long run, they are still work clothes. In fact, come to think of it, the next post on what to wear might be " Can I wear my bib and brace dungarees in the dining room." Maybe James Dean has affected some of your thinking in this matter but to my mind its seems its more like Gabby Hayes.

Jimmy

Having never cruised (almost imminent! :) ) I find this kind of thread fascinating! Editor, you crafty dog!, you just wanted to stir a hornets nest and yup! You did it!!

My opinion may not be as valid as many 'seasoned cruisers' but perhaps, in it's naivety, it is. My cruise commences end March, on the Sea.

Trust me it was important to me to 'get it right' (it's a big wedding aniv (25yrs)), so I did some massive research into 'who' does 'what' , 'where' and 'when' (if you know what I mean :confused: ).

Basically it comes to this: There are all sorts of cruises (cruiselines) for all sorts of people (who may wish to do all sorts of things :eek: ). I chose mine.

Editor, if you wish to wear a thong for dinner, that's not an issue for me, it's an issue for Princess, who market their cruises accordingly. Just choose, the cruise that suits you dude, and EVERYBODY'S HAPPY! :D

P.S. Trust me people, the advice and info posted on this site is invaluable . Thank you - keep it up!

Jimmy

I believe you have said it all. Just returned from the Grand and saw a lot jeans, wish someone from the dining room could &/or would say something to these people.

My boys are 5 and 7. Can they wear shorts to the dining room ? Formal nights they have dress clothes, but not for all others...

Shorts are not allowed in the dining room. If your kids must wear shorts, they can always go to the buffet instead of the main dining rooms.

There is a big misconception in differentiating casual vs. informal. For the record, jeans are considered informal wear not casual. Examples:

(1)

Casual Attire

Women

· Khaki, corduroy, twill or cotton pants or skirts, neatly pressed

· Sweaters, twinsets, cardigans, polo/knit shirts

· Solid colors work better than bright patterns

Men

· Khaki, gabardine or cotton pants, neatly pressed

· Cotton long-sleeved button-down shirts, pressed, polo shirts or knit shirts with a collar

· Sweaters

· Leather shoes and belt

(2)

"Smart casual" is a more relaxed, yet professional look. Pressed

pants, a collared shirt, and clean, matching accessories. A sport coat

will add a touch of class to a casual look. Avoid jeans, sneakers and

T-shirts.

(3)

The style: Business casual has come to take on a variety of meanings -- most of which are misconceptions. Society has constructed this term to mean "anything other than a suit and tie." That's why it's not poor Larry's fault when he shows up to his meeting with the execs in jeans and a concert T.

So, what does "business casual" actually mean? Think of it this way: no jeans, no ties. Anything in between this spectrum is acceptable -- provided the outfit is assembled properly. From khakis and slacks to dress shirts and sweaters, you should be able to build enough of a varied wardrobe that'll impress the whole business casual boardroom.

Some, like the OP, ask a legitimate question due to not understanding what the difference. Others may take it to the extreme by interpreting their own version of the rules.

The bottom line is that people will end up wearing whatever they feel like wearing.

http://www.princess.com/faq/pre_cruise.html

Question: How many formal/smart casual nights are scheduled for my cruise?

Answer: When you're in port, evening dress is casual, slacks, sweaters, blouses, open-neck shirts, etc. are typically worn. Shorts, cut-off T-shirts, jeans and bare feet are not permitted in the dining room. We only have formal and smart casual. Tuxedo rental can be arranged prior to the cruise on certain itineraries. On formal nights, ladies prefer evening gowns or cocktail dresses and men turn out in tuxedos, dinner jackets, or dark suits. See the chart for general dress code schedule.

http://www.princess.com/answer/bring.html#attire

ONBOARD ATTIRE

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual Evenings:

Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

• Pants and open-neck shirts for men

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times.

Formal Evenings:

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies

• Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men Princess offers formal wear rental on all cruises; this can be arranged prior to embarkation. Please review the section entitled: formal wear. See below for a general evening attire schedule.

Archived