Dining Room Attire Thought

Editor

As a Brit, I suppose I'll get flamed here, I am really amused about all these posts regarding jeans. It strikes me that people who keep on about jeans in the dining room have, in their own estimation, a statement to make.

Could you tell us folks across the pond " Whats the statement"

To us, jeans are work clothes that are worn at work simply for the reason they are hard wearimg. Sure, some kids and people who should know better, spend lots of money for the leather tag on the back but, in the long run, they are still work clothes. In fact, come to think of it, the next post on what to wear might be " Can I wear my bib and brace dungarees in the dining room." Maybe James Dean has affected some of your thinking in this matter but to my mind its seems its more like Gabby Hayes.

Jimmy

Well Played!:)

Okay. I may be starting a huge fued, but because so many people stress over the proper attire, maybe people should be allowed to wear what they want (within reason of course). I mean, what's wrong with a very nice pair of jeans or cotton slacks, capris, etc. I don't see why there has to be this uptight formality.

We're all on vacation! We should be able to relax and wear what we want.

Lighten up people, the OP only stated an opinion, not what he was going to do. I agree with him but as long as cruise lines have guidlines about attire we will abide. What anyone wears certainly does not affect our dining experience one bit.

Just as an addendum: For '2boyzmom' and 'dforeigner', regarding a childs attire.

For goodness sake!!! what do we want? a 3 year old in a tux ??

My 2 boys are both adult now, but as children we would always take them with us when we went out for dinner on holiday (vacation).

I would always say to my boys 'let's all get dressed up tonight!' (be it shorts, trousers or, frankly, whatever the children would be most comfortable in!!).

Ties in with the original posting - and my previous answer - there are all sorts of cruises, for all sorts of people!

Just as an addendum: For '2boyzmom' and 'dforeigner', regarding a childs attire.

My 2 boys are both adult now, but as children we would always take them with us when we went out for dinner on holiday (vacation).

I would always say to my boys 'let's all get dressed up tonight!' (be it shorts, trousers or, frankly, whatever the children would be most comfortable in!!).

Ties in with the original posting - and my previous answer - there are all sorts of cruises, for all sorts of people!

My 2 boys will be wearing hawaiian short sets to the dining room a few nights- please look the other way if you are offended by their attire :)

Okay. I may be starting a huge fued, but because so many people stress over the proper attire, maybe people should be allowed to wear what they want (within reason of course). I mean, what's wrong with a very nice pair of jeans or cotton slacks, capris, etc. I don't see why there has to be this uptight formality.

Lighten up people, the OP only stated an opinion, not what he was going to do. I agree with him but as long as cruise lines have guidlines about attire we will abide. What anyone wears certainly does not affect our dining experience one bit.

One can always choose NCL if they want to wear jeans at the dining room.

I never implied for a 3 y/o to wear a tux. But there is nothing wrong with a three year old wearing long pants and a shirt. This is why we have people whining as to why they cannot wear jeans during evening hours at the dining rooms. Simply because parents these days allow kids to do whatever they feel like doing instead of instilling good values.

I have only been on two cruises so far, and three planned this year. I am looking forward to the formal nights, it's great to go to dinner and your table is dressed to the nines, tuxes, evening gowns, some fancy, some not. Everyone feeling that they look their best.

I think it would be a great time for kids to dress up also, it's also a wonderful look at 'another type' of holiday for them. Mine always were very excited about going to a 'grown up' restaurant, or somewhere different, etc. It was also a good time to teach about behaving in an adult world. They never let me down.

We taught them to look at life as an adventure, trying new things - they never looked at it as a chore, in fact they wanted to be the same as everyone else, not different.

However, it is up to you to do as you wish, to me it is far more important that the children behave in a huge beautiful dining room than dress the part.

My 2 cents worth..... :)

I never implied for a 3 y/o to wear a tux. But there is nothing wrong with a three year old wearing long pants and a shirt. This is why we have people whining as to why they cannot wear jeans during evening hours at the dining rooms. Simply because parents these days allow kids to do whatever they feel like doing instead of instilling good values.

Excuse me- are you comparing good values to shorts? Give me a break.

One can always choose NCL if they want to wear jeans at the dining room.

Sorry, NCL does have a specific policy on Clothing in the Dining Rooms. ;)

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/st...e_faq#whatpack

What Should I Pack?

Freestyle Cruising gives you the freedom to dress as you please. So come as you are. No need to check for a suggested dress code in the ship's Freestyle Daily as you would on traditional cruises. Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. If you like, you can slip into a pair of khakis and a polo shirt, a skirt and blouse or a sundress for dinner. We do not allow jeans, T-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of the restaurants at dinner

This is a gross generalization, but (unfortunately) not atypical of posts that seem to inevitably emerge on this subject.

My OP said on formal nights the kids have appropriate attire (sports jackets, pants, shoes, etc) I did not plan on overstuffing my suitcase with more pants if not necessary. This is their fourth cruise and always look quite handsome regardless of their attire :)

Folks-it's sooo simple:

The rules/suggestions/guidelines are there - just follow them!

You know ahead of time what's expected on a cruise. If you don't want to follow the expectaions, then find another place to dine or another cruiseline or take a land vacation where you can wear whatever you want.

Cruised Last month on the Pearl, No Change. If you read the boards from the cruisers returning in last couple of days still no change in policy. If you believe they changed policy please show me in writing, like I supplied to you.:)

Cruisers have stated that the signs at the NCL dining room entrances are no longer there but the webpage has not been updated. Here are a couple of threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=472862&highlight=jeans

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=474235&highlight=jeans

Folks-it's sooo simple:

The rules/suggestions/guidelines are there - just follow them!

You know ahead of time what's expected on a cruise. If you don't want to follow the expectaions, then find another place to dine or another cruiseline or take a land vacation where you can wear whatever you want.

Pardon me, but rules are vastly different from suggestions and guidelines. I am a rules girls. I follow them. HOWEVER, I also believe in the spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law. Wearing my nice, boutique jeans with a beautiful top and sandals to the dining room may go against the letter of the Princess "law" (probably written ages ago) but not against the spirit of looking nice and "dressing up". (Yes, fuddy duddies, the right jeans are now considered dressing up and can get you into almost ANY nice restaurant in Manhattan as well as the theater on Broadway.) Straight-from-the-farm Levi's go against both the letter and the spirit.

Trust me, my attire will not ever embarrass you or make you look down on me.

I've been to many beautiful resorts and have seen people wear everything from shorts and sandals, to gorgeous dresses and suits. I don't CARE what YOU have on!! Enjoy and have a great time in the style that suits you.

My two cents worth.

My two cents: Freestyle looks like a good fit for you. There's already cruise lines out there that appeal to your particular tastes. Based on previous polls, an overwhelming majority of Princess cruisers prefer to abide by the current dress codes set for each evening. Rather than requesting the majority adapt to your likes, simply find yourself a new cruise line.

Pardon me, but rules are vastly different from suggestions and guidelines. I am a rules girls. I follow them. HOWEVER, I also believe in the spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law.

Spoken like an attorney.

Trust me, my attire will not ever embarrass you or make you look down on me.

I'd rather decide for myself.

Cruisers have stated that the signs at the NCL dining room entrances are no longer there but the webpage has not been updated. Here are a couple of threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=472862&highlight=jeans

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=474235&highlight=jeans

I was on the NCL Pearl 12/22/2006 and Jeans are not Allowed in the Dining Rooms, If you read the recent cruisers comments from the 9 Day Cruises there is still no Jeans allowed, having said that yes some are wearing them.

Cruised Last month on the Pearl, No Change. If you read the boards from the cruisers returning in last couple of days still no change in policy. If you believe they changed policy please show me in writing, like I supplied to you.:)

If you venture over to the NCL board you will see a thread about this!!

Archived