Bannister Island Question

ladybug1234

Has anyone been to Bannister Island?? I was thinking about Caye Caulker but someone told me that the beaches were not very nice there. Is the only way to get to Bannister Island thru Carnivals excursion or can you do it on your own? Are the beaches nice. Is the food any good and is it reasonably priced? Any feedback you have would be great!

We did Bannister Island on our Miracle cruise last March. It was a Carnival excursion (Private Island Beach Break); we were picked up by a tender right at the ship and taken to the Island ~ about a half hour by boat. I don't know if you can go to Bannister Island on your own ~ I doubt it. There were other cruise lines there using the Island that day as well.

We had a fun day on Bannister Island. There is an open-air restaurant/bar with a roof. Clean bathrooms. Plenty of lounge chairs on the beach. The beach is nice, and there is a swimming area roped off that is good sized. Not terribly deep, we went all the way out to the ropes and the water was about neck-deep out there. The water was nice a warm. It was a little cloudy and windy the day we were there, but still nice.

Waitresses came by our lounge chairs and took orders of drinks and/or food all day and would bring it out to you in the lounge chair. We had some chicken strips that were quite tasty. The menu isn't huge, but they offer hamburgers, hot dogs, nachos, bar-b-q chicken, etc.

There are float mats that you can use for free. They have kayaks and paddle boats that you can rent, for an extra fee.

If you want to read more about our day on Bannister Island, click my Miracle review link below my signature.

Happy cruising! :)

We went to Bannister Caye as part of a Royal Caribbean Ship's tour, Barrier Snorkeling & Beach Break. I'm not completely sure, but it looked like every one there was part of some sort of ship's tour. We chose this tour because they allowed the tour operator, Belize Paradise, to pick us up at the ship and saved A LOT of tender time. I'm not a big fan of ship tours usually, but this one was well done - I'd highly recommend it. The beach areas had people, but were not nearly as crowded as I'd expected.

Hola Ladybug,

You can book the Bannister Island tour at the tender dock. Prices run from $38 -$50 depending on who you talk to and if you want to take the boat snorkel tour. It doesn't hurt to haggle a little. We went with Fab Tours. www.fabtoursbelize.com

Ladybug, if you decide to book at the tender dock (which will be less expensive than through the cruiseline), just be aware that you will have to take a ship's tender to the dock (about a 15 - 20 minute ride). Then, you will have to be tendered to the Island. The Island is in the opposite direction from the ship than the Belize dock. So, it may be about a 45 minute ride from the dock to the Island. Then, you will have to go back to the dock and catch the tender back to the ship.

If you book with the cruiseline, they pick you up from the ship and take you straight to the Island. So, it's more expensive to book through the cruiseline, but it saves you some travel time. If time isn't an issue for you, it would save you money to book at the tender dock with an independent tour.

Have fun! :)

Archived