Fact or fiction? Tell me!

tofubeast

I have always heard people talk about how cruise lines might hire or pick people who seem to be magnetic and energetic in influencing others to participate in cruise activities etc etc... These people are great minglers and seem to get others excited about stuff happening onboard.

I have heard some people are hired to do this...but are "undercover." Or sometimes the cruise line will see passengers that just fit the bill, and they will offer them free cruises with the idea they will help make the cruise more fun for all.

Is this really true? If not, why do I hear it from so many people. If so, does RCCL do it...and if yes... I WANT TO BE PICKED!!! :)

and if so.. HOW?!?! hehe

~

danielle

I have always heard people talk about how cruise lines might hire or pick people who seem to be magnetic and energetic in influencing others to participate in cruise activities etc etc... These people are great minglers and seem to get others excited about stuff happening onboard.

I have heard some people are hired to do this...but are "undercover." Or sometimes the cruise line will see passengers that just fit the bill, and they will offer them free cruises with the idea they will help make the cruise more fun for all.

Is this really true? If not, why do I hear it from so many people. If so, does RCCL do it...and if yes... I WANT TO BE PICKED!!! :)

and if so.. HOW?!?! hehe

~

danielle

I really don't think Royal Caribbean does, but I know for a fact that Carnival does. I talked to a guy at the pool and he told me he was one of them. He said they fill their beer bottles with water so that it looks like they've been drinking all day.

Is this anything like the "Mystery Shopper" I have read about elsewhere, this person receives a packet in their cabin and they are to participate(volunteer) by buying items on board or whatever and at the end of the cruise they retun the info and receive some sort of incentive for doing so??

This may not be exactly what you have in mind, however, Holland America does something similar -- or at least they did the last time I cruised that line in 2003.

The social hostess or cruise director will choose a male and a female who seem to be happy and outgoing, and involved with the ship's activities. On the first night of the cruise (during the introductory speech) the social hostess will say she has chosen a Mr. and Mrs. (name of ship)...Mr. and Mrs. Rotterdam. She asks the audience to search for them during the cruise by asking everyone, "Are you Mrs. Rotterdam". If the passenger finds the Mrs. Rotterdam, they will win a prize at the end of the cruise.

When I was asked to be Mrs. Rotterdam, I was told to keep it a total secret. I couldn't even tell my mother, who was my travel partner during the cruise!When the first person asked me, "Are you Mrs. Rotterdam?" I was to say "YES" and give them the instructions to keep it a secret and I turned their name in to the social hostess. Anyone else who asked me was to be told, "NO."

I'm sure HAL does this as an icebreaker. I thought it was a lot of fun...but you should have seen the look on my mother's face when they announced "Mrs. Rotterdam."

Archived