Please help me!!!

jewel

Hello everyone!!! I have a serious dillemma, our TA has not been able to book our wedding cruise for next summer. We wanted to go out of Baltimore, on less than a 7 night cruise. It looked like Bermuda or Bahamas would be our best option. Basically what has happened is... As soon as cruise dates become available, large groups like Vanguard can call and block out 200-300 rooms ata time with no money down. This has eliminated smaller groups (30-40 rooms with a credit card downpayment) from being able to book a group cruise. We have spoken with RCCL and they tell us there is nothing that can be done. We have to wait and MAYBE a gruop will become available. We can book 30-40 rooms as individuals with no amenities. Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do to resolve it??? Please help me!!!

Have you considered one of the shorter cruises going out of Philly or NYC? Some go to Bermuda (I think the shortest is 6 days), and some of Royal Caribbean's cruises out of Bayonne, New Jersey, are 5 nights to Canada. Maybe you could check into that.

Yes, we have considered going out of a different port but, as far as the east coast goes, its looking like Fla is going to be our best option. I am totally freaking out!!! I dont have a preference as far as the cruise line but, am so frustrated with RCCL right now, I cant stand it!!! We need to book 40 rooms and they wont let us as a group!!! I am now dealing with 5 TA's and 2 of them are RCCL. I hope this can be worked out because as much as I've tried to preplan since Feb of this year, I cant get any answers. I haope we can book a cruise out of Fla but, the saga continues........

Getting married in Feb 2005 on RCCL Jewel of the Seas. I am sailing with a group of about 50 and ran into the same problem. We were able to book most of the cabins through Costco Travel. Frankly, the discount they got us was more the RCCL group discount anyway.

RCCL instructed us to have individuals book cabins and link them to our booking number. The travel agents may tell you that it's not possible to link more than 5 cabins, but that's not the case. So far, we have 19 cabins linked to one booking number. Not everyone has used the same travel agents, but they are still able to link to our reservation. And I have been assured that we'll be seated together.

In addition to the wedding reception, we are planning a private cocktail party for our group a few days after the wedding. It's costing us about $16 pp, for drinks and appetizers. Not free, but not bad.

Thanx DcDiva!! What are the rates your gettinn??? What we have looked at seems to be running about $1000 pp. The most inexpensive rooms we have beem quoted are about $800 pp. We are unable to book a group rate therefore, no perks or amenities. Are you going out of Baltimore?? Its looking like Fla. might be a little bit cheaper but, I dont know if the hassle is worth it!! We are still waiting for quotes back on that idea!!!

You might want to go with leaving out of Florida. It seems that no one I've known has ever had a problem booking a cruise. There are lots to choose from. If you go to the Bahamas Carnival leaves from Port Canavaral very close to Orlando. You could try giving a TA here a call and see what they have to offer.

Hi Jewel,

I had the EXACT same problem with RCCL for the same itinerary. They did not want to help me with a group and were far less than helpful. I did lots and lots of research before deciding Carnival is the best for direct dealings and offer the best amenities for groups (stateroom credits, upgrades, and more depending on how many points you get and what you choose to use them for) Also TWE handles most of the other lines weddings and although I know several have reported great experiences with them, mine have been simply awful!

Depending on your price considerations, Celebrity is offering Bermuda sailings out of Norfolk, 3.5 hours away from Baltimore, but it is an older and smaller ship (Horizon). They are also more expensive than flying from here to FL for a better ship and itinerary. I have the rates in an email I can forward you if you’d like.

Another thing to consider when sailing from this area (Norfolk and farther north) is that sailing around near Cape Hatteras can be awfully rough seas. I have never cruised, but my family and several close friends are all adamant about FL being the best choice to leave from for smooth sailing and better rates. Rates to fly there are not at all bad (i.e. this summer as little as $130 to Ft. Lauderdale, $180 to Orlando to get to Pt. Canaveral R/T).

I have finally decided (ok, 97% sure) to stick with the Carnival Glory out of Pt. Canaveral for late next summer. We looked into NY, Baltimore, Norfolk, NJ, and more before settling on this being the best deal. If you are set on RCCL, they offer many great sounding cruises from FL as well, but I had the same can’t get a group problem for those sailings that I had with Baltimore. Maybe you’ll have better luck!

I have lots of comparison charts I made with cruise and wedding info. and ma happy to share those as well.

Best Wishes and hope some of this helped!

~Angela

Jewel - Wanted to get back to you with some cost info. We've opted for a shorter 6-day cruise, so the rates a little lower. We will be sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale, and these rates do not include airfare. Our group has booked everything from the least expensive inside cabin to a Grand Suite, so the rates are all over the place, but here are some examples:

Junior Suite - $1250pp

Category E3 Balcony - $890pp

Category L Inside - $600pp

Category M Inside - $588pp for 2, $500pp for 3

I've been getting the same story about a group 'black out'. But I've been working with someone at RCCL that's been somewhat helpful. As we get closer, I'm gonna push them hard to throw us some freebies. After all, we are bringing 50 people who will be spending ALOT of money on their cruise...

Archived