Cost of Beno or Reyno

bdruzin

Reynold of Reyno Tours will give you a spetactular day on the island for approximately $40 per person. This is one island for sure, to stick with the local guides for tour quality and pricing. These 2 gentlemen you mentioned are the only ones I can verify that are completely licensed, certified, and insured tour operators with the highest recommendations.

I can personally speak for Reynold: reynotours@hotmail.com

Should the prices of gasoline start to go up again, you might see an adjustment in the above pricing, but the tour itself is about 5 hours of lush surroundings and beautiful waterfalls with a visit to the Emerald Pool and one of my highlights was Mr. Nice's Fruit Stand. Lots and lots more!

If I am unmistaken, Beno worked for Reyno before he started his own tour company. I am unsure what the circumstances were that they separated.

Their prices seem to be similiar, BUT it all depends on how many passengers are in your group. If you are able to get a group together, they will discount the per person amount. Don't forget to add tips.

Our group went with Reyno and we had an excellent time. I would just contact them and see what they will offer you.

Can anyone tell me what Beno and Reyno charge for their tours pp? Are their tours similar?

I realize that this thread posted twice by accident- happens to me all the time! Just in case you pull this one up before the other; it's $40 per person currently, but the prices of gasoline could adjust that price slightly. It's much higher on the island. This private tour with Reynold of Reyno Tours is much better quality wise and fun wise than any ship operated tour and is much less expensive as well.

I'll just add a bit to what pholter said. Here's a bit more about what Reyno Tours offers (per an earlier email to me):

My price for a normal price for a 4---5 hours tour to the Trafallger Falls, Emerald Pool, Rain Forest, Mr.Nice Fruit Stand, Botanic Garden, Panoramic Veiw of the Town Roseau with the cruise ship, ideal for a photo and lots of little stops in between for other highlights and interesting things we grow on the Island and we can take them to snorkel. The price for a tour like this is $40 per person. We also can be very flexible and we can re-organize if anyone wants to go somewhere else when thy get there and we will set-up the price after.We also do the Carib Indian's the beach and snorkeling as well.

I did a lot of research before choosing Reyno. I liked that we would be with two locals for the day (driver and guide). I also noticed that there were many positive reviews for Reyno going back over several years. The reviews were from many different individuals. I've noticed that some of the other guides are constantly promoted by one or two individuals, but do not have as many unique people recommending them. You might want to look and see if the people promoting a guide are also active on other boards and giving opinions on other islands as well. I think it is easy to be anonymous on these boards and you need to make sure you are getting good, legitimate advice.

We didn't regret our choice. We would love to go back to Dominica. Let me know if you have any other questions about our experience in Dominica or another island that we visited (Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia or Tortola).

Carrie

bdruzin,

We did the Boatyard in Barbados, so I can't help you with that. It was a fun day at the beach, but nothing spectacular.

On Antigua, we used Gordon of Antigua Beach Runner Xcursions. I read a lot about Lawrence, but was a bit concerned over some of the negative reviews. We had an awesome day with Gordon. He was waiting for us with a sign at the end of the pier and took us to his very clean van and showed us the beautiful island and dropped us for some beach time. We invited him to have lunch with us and really enjoyed his company. One thing I like about him is that he keeps his tours small so that he can get to know his clients. We really enjoyed his company for the day.

Let us know what you decide to do and how you enjoyed it once you get back. Have a great cruise!

He customized the day for us. We wanted to see Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights, Dow Interpretation center, Devils Bridge and the sugar plantation. He also took us by the airport (I wanted to see it and it is much nicer than many Caribbean airports) and then we went to Long Bay beach for a few hours. We asked for a private van and the cost was $35 per adult, $10 for my 6 yr. old and free for my almost 2 yr. old. He has lots of other options too, though, on his website or he can make a tour based on what you are looking for. His website is www.antiguabeachrunner.com

I found his emails to be very quick and very well written. I posted a review of our day on the Antigua board. Let me know if you have other questions.

Carrie

If I am unmistaken, Beno worked for Reyno before he started his own tour company. I am unsure what the circumstances were that they separated.

You are in fact MISTAKEN. Beno has never worked for Reyno. You should check your facts before posting incorrect information. Both Beno and Reyno will confirm neither has ever worked for each other. I can't imagine where you heard this. After 3 years on the boards, you are the only person who has ever said this. They have always been independent of each other and remain "friendly" rivals with a great deal of respect for each other. Please do not start false rumors. Next time, check your facts BEFORE posting.

Pricing is similar between the two of them. Usually about $40 per person, depending on the size of the group. We've used Beno in the past and he was such a safe, sincere, knowledable, and enthusiatic guide, we've booked him again for our trip there next month. Can't wait to see him again and see Dominica again. This is such a beautiful island, be sure to use a private guide to get the most personal experience. I highly recommend Beno. If you want to hire Beno benox265@hotmail.com.

:eek: Sorry for my mistake,( Beno worked for Reyno) however since I heard it from the "horses-mouth" on my tour ........I did not think I had to "check my facts". I am sure both tour guides will give you a great tour. Our group did not have to pay $40 p/p with Reyno. We had about 30 people and afew extra from our ship that we did not know. I would contact both places for price quotes.

Again, sorry for the previous error. Have a nice day.:o

Let me know if you have any other questions about our experience in Dominica or another island that we visited (Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia or Tortola).

Carrie

Carrie,

Looks like you took the same itinerary as we are doing in April. What details can you give about your tour or excursion for St. Lucia and Tortola.....What is the "Boatyard" in Barbados? We have been to all the ports and are looking for some new adventures. Thanks!

Hi DINKS,

The Boatyard in Barbados is a beach that you pay an admission for entry and then are entitled to a chair, a drink, water toys (ie. floating iceberg, water trampoline, water swing). You can buy an umbrella for an extra $2. It was a nice beach and we had a good time, but I would probably do something different next time. (www.theboatyard.com)

As for St. Luca, we did a private tour with Cosol. I posted a review about it on the St. Lucia board. To be fair to Cosol, those that have taken a tour personally with him seem to have loved it. We were in a van with a different driver. He was waiting at the wrong pier and wasn't all that interested in giving us a tour that day. I can't say that I would recommend the company, although MANY others on Cruise Critic would disagree.

In Tortola, we went on Oil 'n Water with Patouche to see the baths. The baths at Virgin Gorda are beautiful. I would definitely recommend going out there. If you book with Patouche, you will have a much smaller group with you and a more personal experience (vs. going through a cruise line excursion).

Let me know if you have any other questions. We really loved the itinerary and would like to go back to some of the ports in the future. Are you sailing on NCL too or just a similar itinerary?

Carrie

The cost of Beno and Reyno are pretty identical. And pholter is correct in that you can't go wrong with either of these two terrific tour guides. I know both of them tailor tours to whatever you like, or they have standard tours if you are unsure. Just to give you an idea, this is what I wrote about our tour:

Two years ago, thanks to cruisecritic recommendations, I had arranged for Augustine Pascal (just call him Bay-no), to be our tour guide for the day. We wanted to take advantage of the fact that Dominica is still an unspoiled beautiful under-developed rain forest island and really see the non-tourist part of the island before it gets discovered and all the condos are built, so Beno knew that we wanted to go to the Carib Indian territory which is on the northeast part of the island and requires about 2 hours of driving through the rain forest to get there.

The drive to the Carib territory was incredibly beautiful. Everything was so lush and green and colorful flowers grew wild everywhere. Beno told us all about the local flora and fauna, and he even identified some unusual birds for the bird-watcher in our group (and it wasn’t even boring for the rest of us!). For much of the ride, we followed alongside a stunning river, with frequent stops to get some great photos. Everything grows in this lush forest. We got some cool photos of bright red coffee beans on the trees, just growing wild by the road. But the best part was when we stopped at Moses’ home. Moses is a Carib that Beno has known for many years and he graciously shared his family history with us and explained the process of the weavings that are known world-wide for their unusual and distinctive patterns and technique. He had a few he sold to us and they are just amazing. Then, he and Beno went in to the forest and used their machetes to cut down some coconuts so we could get our first taste of “jelly juice” which is the sweet water that is only found in the young coconuts. Then, using the top of the coconut as a scoop, we were able to taste the coconut in its soft form. They also cut down ripe coconuts so we could refresh ourselves with the coconut water and then chew on fresh coconut pieces. Now THIS is why I love going on independent tours!

Finally, Beno had been telling us about the local “jing ping” music and we wanted to get a CD, so he took us to see “rasta man”, otherwise known as Loftus Emanuel, a local music promoter in Roseau. Between the 2 of them, they picked out some great CDs that we listened to on our portable CD player, out on the balcony as we sailed away from beautiful Dominica.

It was such an amazing day, we’ve booked him for our upcoming cruise in a month. We can’t wait to see what he has planned for us this time!

If you want to hire Beno benox265@hotmail.com.

Hi DINKS,

The Boatyard in Barbados is a beach that you pay an admission for entry and then are entitled to a chair, a drink, water toys (ie. floating iceberg, water trampoline, water swing). You can buy an umbrella for an extra $2. It was a nice beach and we had a good time, but I would probably do something different next time. (www.theboatyard.com)

As for St. Luca, we did a private tour with Cosol. I posted a review about it on the St. Lucia board. To be fair to Cosol, those that have taken a tour personally with him seem to have loved it. We were in a van with a different driver. He was waiting at the wrong pier and wasn't all that interested in giving us a tour that day. I can't say that I would recommend the company, although MANY others on Cruise Critic would disagree.

In Tortola, we went on Oil 'n Water with Patouche to see the baths. The baths at Virgin Gorda are beautiful. I would definitely recommend going out there. If you book with Patouche, you will have a much smaller group with you and a more personal experience (vs. going through a cruise line excursion).

Let me know if you have any other questions. We really loved the itinerary and would like to go back to some of the ports in the future. Are you sailing on NCL too or just a similar itinerary?

Carrie

I have a question if you don't mind. On your tour with Patouche how was the tour? We booked with them for our visit on the Dawn with a short port visit 8-1 just wondering what your port time was? Just don' want to cut it too close to returning to the ship.

Hi DINKS,

Carrie

I have a question if you don't mind. On your tour with Patouche how was the tour? We booked with them for our visit on the Dawn with a short port visit 8-1 just wondering what your port time was? Just don' want to cut it too close to returning to the ship.

judyf,

Our tour with Patouch was very good. I was glad to be on a smaller boat and not will 50-100 other passengers. They were very accomodating. We only had from 7-1 in port and we did fine on time. I would definitely remind them of your return time since not everyone on the tour will be from the ship. Julie was very concientious of time and made sure that our taxi was waiting to take us back to the ship. We did end up with only 15 minutes to spare, but it was fine. The other thing that I felt better about, too, was that they were running an NCL excursion on their other boat, so I figured they would be used to working with the cruise lines schedule. The baths were very beautiful. I was glad we got to see them. I just wish there would have been more time to enjoy them.

Carrie

Archived