Riga Black Balsam Pub

celem

My wife loves to bring back unconventional souvenirs. Consequently, when she read about Riga’s famous Black Balsam liqueur, she, naturally, had to bring some back – which we did. We purchased it at a liqueur store in Riga during our recent Baltic cruise. We haven’t tried the Black Balsam liqueur yet – I am currently searching the web to find cocktail recipes that use it (yes there are some). While searching, I came upon an interesting sounding Riga Pub, the “Rigas Balzams”. Id I had known about it prior to our cruise I am sure that we would have tried it out. Since it is too late for me to enjoy, I thought that I’d share the pub’s info with the group. Enjoy!

Latvia Souvenirs:

The typical Latvian souvenirs are things, made of Baltic amber, linen and wood. Latvia is also famous for ceramics and, of course, the Riga Black Balsam - a strong drink which is a herbal extract and is believed to be healthy at all occasions. Some foreigners love it, some declare they hate it. Still, during the soviet period a bottle of Riga Black Balsam served as a key opening many doors in Moscow - from just hotel accommodation in the overcrowded capital to negotiations at ministry level.

An interesting Riga Pub:

Rigas Balzams: (H-2) Torna 4, building 1b, in the Jekaba Kazarmas strip of stores; tel. 721-4494. Open:08:30-24; Fri., Sat. 08:30-01. A very popular bar named after Latvia’s most famous liqueur, Rigas Melnais Balzams (Black Balsam), a black gooey drink the texture of crude oil. They make things with Black Balsam that will surprise and delight you. Good pub food. They recently opened a new bar Jaunais Rigas Balzams at (H-2) Doma laukums 2, tel. 721-4494. Open:08-03. http://www.balzambars.lv

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the tips.

I've collected some unusual potions, liqeurs, and absinthes from various places around E Europe and the FSU and we'll be visiting Riga on the May 21 Constellation Baltic itinerary, so I'll look forward to picking up a bottle of Black Balsam.

Otherwise did you find Riga interesting?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the tips.

I've collected some unusual potions, liqeurs, and absinthes from various places around E Europe and the FSU and we'll be visiting Riga on the May 21 Constellation Baltic itinerary, so I'll look forward to picking up a bottle of Black Balsam.

Otherwise did you find Riga interesting?

Here is my journal listing for Riga.

- - - - - - - - - -

July 5, 2004, Riga, Latvia

$1=1.85 Lat

- Arrived at Riga, Latvia at 11AM. Docked at a remote and ugly container port about 30km from town. Rode the courtesy shuttle to the Freedom Monument. We walked South after obtaining some local currency (Lat) at a money exchange. Money exchanges and ATMs are everywhere in Old Latvia, within sight in every direction no matter where you are standing, at least in areas with people on foot.

- After seeking out the St. Peter's Cathedral we discovered that all sights are closed on Monday, so we walked to the City Market on the Southeastern edge of old town in two huge old dirigible hangers with vendors spilling out the back for several blocks. There was an interesting assortment of fish, meat, flowers and everything else imaginable. We purchased some cookies, candy; bottled water and my wife purchased a half-kilo of some horrible smelling cheese that we eventually discarded without tasting, as it was a bit scary.

- We walked back into the thick of things and ate a nice lunch of Salmon, chicken, sauerkraut, coleslaw, etc. at a restaurant. After lunch we went to the only museum that was open, the Occupation Museum. It was interesting - the Latvians have suffered much. I don't know who was worse, the Soviets of the ****s - I think that the Soviets were worse than the ****s as the Latvians considered them liberators when they chased the Soviets out.

- My wife purchased some amber earrings and a pendant, and Black Balsam, which is purported to be famous Latvian medicinal liquor.

- When it started pouring rain at around 3:45PM, we walked back to shuttle and returned to the ship at 4:30PM.

- This was the third night that we ate alone at a table for eight. The waiter continues to delay for the no-shows. I spoke with the assistant Matrie 'D requesting that he either change us to a table with other people or to a table for two.

Archived