Which is the BEST beach for crystal clear *calm* water?

Tristan

I'm going to have to tell you that this is a hard question to answer.

I'm not sure there is such an animal in Barbados. While the waters are blue and clear, crystal clear might not be found.

There are many beaches that are calm and clear and have sand on the bottom, I think most of those being on the west coast, with Accra/Rockley Beach and some of the Carlisle Bay beaches being that way much of the time.

But time and tide does matter.. Weather is a true factor, and even if it's a lovely sunny day, you may still get some waves based on what is going on in our area.. and that area can comprise of the what is east of us, which is the Atlantic Ocean and to the west towards the rest of the Caribbean Chain.

Barbados is really out in the middle of the Atlantic.. It doesn't touch the Caribbean Sea, really... But the West side is the calmest most of the year.

Try Paynes Bay and Mullins on the middle and upper west coast.

There are days we go to Accra/Rockley Beach and it's flat as a lake and beautiful, but other days when there is some small surfing waves going on.

hope this helps.

Hi Sunnie-

I see that you're a local. Can you recommend a "driver" for me? I thought it would be fun to head up to Mullins, then Silver Sands, and finally Miami Beach. On other islands, we've had great luck in hiring a driver. Any suggestions?

(I'm going to contact Glory Tours and Scenic Barbados, but would love some other names)

Thanks in advance. :)

I have been to Barbados several times off a cruise ship. All the beaches I have been to are on the West Coast. I have yet to see a beach with calm, clear water. Needless to say Barbados is not my favorite beach destination.:(

But...there is plenty to do on the island...so it is a worthwhile stop.:)

Have Fun

CaribbeanCrazy

• 3 weeks later...

The most important factor to the Op's question is time of year. The west coast beaches are usually very calm but during Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar. there is a ground swell that comes off the Caribbean sea and creates quite a wave on the beaches and makes it difficult to get into the water especially for older folks. I have seen many totally knocked over by these waves. This is the time of the year that you will see surfers on the point at Sandy Lane. A safe free bet is Accra. While it also gets waves at times to the extreme left there is a small off shore reef and a break water that will keep that part calm to enjoy a great swim. If you dont mind paying an entrance fee than boat yard will also be a good choice. And as Sunniebgi said all this could change with weather patterns that may be hundreds of miles off shore that you are not even seeing but sending swells on shore.

Thanks Sunnie! How is The Boatyard Beach? I was looking at their web site last night, and seemed pretty calm and clean with lots of fun things to do. Let me know your opinion. Thanks!! :)

Hi Susie, Some of my cruisemates went to the boatyard and had a great time - even though it was mostly raining that day. They said that it was a very nice beach and there were many activities. Also many of the ships crew go to the boatyard.

Archived