Empress questions?????

There is no concierge lounge on Empress of the Seas, the crown and anchor area you see is for the loyalty ambassador. Sorry we cannot help with the aft balcanies. The only thing we know about them is the Viking Crown lounge right above the ninth deck and we watched a guy lose his dinner and drinks onto that balcony on our last cruise.

There is no concierge lounge on Empress of the Seas, the crown and anchor area you see is for the loyalty ambassador. Sorry we cannot help with the aft balconies. The only thing we know about them is the Viking Crown lounge right above the ninth deck and we watched a guy lose his dinner and drinks onto that balcony on our last cruise.

Hi cyscopup,

That is much worse than the soot problem I read about. :eek: :o

Please anyone, can you tell me if Empress has conceirge room?? I see a Crown and Anchor Lounge. Is this it?? Also how are the aft balcony rooms on 7??? Hope you can help me. Thank you

Hi,

I have never stayed in the aft balcony cabins, but I have read about them. Some of those cabins in the aft do not have a sitting area so check on that. I have read where people were not pleased at all with those cabins when they got in them. It should tell you on the deck plans which are the ones with no sitting area, just a bed.

I have also seen pictures of the soot that lands on the aft balconies from the stack. Enough to not want to sit out there on the chairs until they are cleaned. (Just so you don't ruin your clothes)

I stay on Deck 9 in a JS balcony. They are a really good location with no problems.

I realize it sounds like I typed nothing but "downers" but this is from reading a lot about the Empress. She is a fine little ship that I have already sailed on and will sail her again in November. She is my favorite ship. ;)

Its amazing how little info there is out there about the aft cabins on the Empress. I have done alot of research, and from what I have read and the few pictures I have found, it seems that other than the two owner's suites on the aft, none of the other cabins (call them D1's or Js's) have a sitting area. I have found two pictures of aft cabins, and they are of two different layouts, but neither have a sitting area.

Cabin aft 8686

http://community.webshots.com/album/59412592QFcRnE

Its amazing how little info there is out there about the aft cabins on the Empress. I have done alot of research, and from what I have read and the few pictures I have found, it seems that other than the two owner's suites on the aft, none of the other cabins (call them D1's or Js's) have a sitting area. I have found two pictures of aft cabins, and they are of two different layouts, but neither have a sitting area.

Cabin aft 8686

http://community.webshots.com/album/59412592QFcRnE

Even on Deck 9, cabin 9684 aft does not have a sitting area either.

That is why I like JS on Deck 9 balconies and rooms. It is really an E1 or E2 on any other ship, but at least it has room to move around.

Please anyone, can you tell me if Empress has conceirge room?? I see a Crown and Anchor Lounge. Is this it?? Also how are the aft balcony rooms on 7??? Hope you can help me. Thank you

The aft balconies on Deck 7 will not have any kind of sitting area; the staterooms themselves are very small. RCI has changed their category a few times over the years, from Junior Suites to Category Ds and now back again, according to the most recent brochures. In reality, they are Category Es. There is only a shower in the bathroom (in any of the Junior Suites on the whole ship). You probably would still get a double cruise credit for the JS though.

Book an aft stateroom only if you absolutely MUST have an aft; if you book on Deck 7, the center stateroom of the five has a balcony 50% wider than the other four.

I have sailed on the Empress 5 times, always in a JS, twice on the sides, three times in aft staterooms. I prefer the side JSs because of more space in the room; DBF likes the aft because of the wake and because his GPS will work there.

The Empress has great shuffleboard, on a full-wrap teak promenade deck, harking back to the old days. :)

Bon Voyage~~

Leslie

You guys are the greatest. I needed a fast answer and got it and more. I have sailed most levels of RCCL, but had no info on Empress. On paper that aft seemed good but couldn't figure out why it was available. Figured there were problems. Also sorry about no conceirge but you can't have everything. Again thanks for all your replys ... they truly helped me.

The aft balconies on Deck 7 will not have any kind of sitting area; the staterooms themselves are very small. RCI has changed their category a few times over the years, from Junior Suites to Category Ds and now back again, according to the most recent brochures. In reality, they are Category Es. There is only a shower in the bathroom (in any of the Junior Suites on the whole ship). You probably would still get a double cruise credit for the JS though.

Book an aft stateroom only if you absolutely MUST have an aft; if you book on Deck 7, the center stateroom of the five has a balcony 50% wider than the other four.

I have sailed on the Empress 5 times, always in a JS, twice on the sides, three times in aft staterooms. I prefer the side JSs because of more space in the room; DBF likes the aft because of the wake and because his GPS will work there.

The Empress has great shuffleboard, on a full-wrap teak promenade deck, harking back to the old days. :)

Bon Voyage~~

Leslie

Hi,

Yes, you do get the extra cruise credit as it is called a JS. We did receive 2 credits in Dec. 2004 for our Deck 9 JS.

EDIT: May I post this on my Roll Call for the Empress in case anyone asks about those cabins? You have given great information here. ;)

I was in cabin 8686, an aft JS, on my last cruise. It is true that there is no sitting area and has the normal tiny bathroom. It does, however, have an enormous balcony - somewhere in the neighborood of 15 to 18 feet long with two lounge chairs, two upright chairs and a small table. It is true that there can be some soot especially right after the ship leaves a port, but it is easily brushed off the chairs - you just have to remember to look before you sit down or use a pool towel to cover the chair. It all comes down to the individual what is more important, the size of the cabin itself or that of the balcony.

I was in cabin 8686, an aft JS, on my last cruise. It is true that there is no sitting area and has the normal tiny bathroom. It does, however, have an enormous balcony - somewhere in the neighborood of 15 to 18 feet long with two lounge chairs, two upright chairs and a small table. It is true that there can be some soot especially right after the ship leaves a port, but it is easily brushed off the chairs - you just have to remember to look before you sit down or use a pool towel to cover the chair. It all comes down to the individual what is more important, the size of the cabin itself or that of the balcony.

I am learning more on here tonight than any other time about these cabins. People ask about them, but it seems not many people actually post too much about them.

This information about that JS 8686 aft balcony size might interest a lot of people.

Our Roll Call has not yet gotten a lot of questions, but in time it will. I am glad I can add more to it if asked about these cabins.

Maybe someone can help me with this question.

I have had the Empress booked to sail to Bermuda this October for a few months now. A coupon just came out in the "Member Savings Certificates" with RCCL for $150. It does say the cruise must be booked between Feb. 1 and Feb.28.

Is this a rule they stick to or has anyone ever had a "Savings Certificate" coupon applied to a cruise that was booked already?

My TA can't be reached until this time next week, so I just thought someone might know.

I know cancelling and rebooking is an option, but all the D1 afts (which I'm not quite sure about anymore) and JS's are now gone on my sailing.

Tks! :)

Maybe someone can help me with this question.

I have had the Empress booked to sail to Bermuda this October for a few months now. A coupon just came out in the "Member Savings Certificates" with RCCL for $150. It does say the cruise must be booked between Feb. 1 and Feb.28.

Is this a rule they stick to or has anyone ever had a "Savings Certificate" coupon applied to a cruise that was booked already?

My TA can't be reached until this time next week, so I just thought someone might know.

I know cancelling and rebooking is an option, but all the D1 afts (which I'm not quite sure about anymore) and JS's are now gone on my sailing.

Tks! :)

They would not honor the on line coupon for me because I had already booked this cruise.

I also get the mailed coupons sent to me and those they will honor for already booked cruises. I was able to get $225.00 off of my Empress already booked cruise from last years mailed coupons that expired in Dec. 2006. I have not received mine yet for January - March, so I can't say if there is a coupon for you. Other CC's have already received them and posted on here some of the coupons available when others have asked.

You might try looking for the thread on the board about these and see if there is a coupon for whatever grade you are in Crown And Anchor.

Then have your TA call in the code.;)

EDIT: Here is the thread I posted about.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=467656&highlight=mailed+coupons

We just spent 11 days on Empress (1/15-1/26 07)

Very small for a junior suite but comfortable.

We awoke daily to a coating of soot and particulates from the stack. Don't go out on the balcony in bare feet before you retire for the evening or you'll have the stuff all over your sheets.

Great itinerary and pleasant steff.

7690 aft (center cabin)

Has no sitting area

but the balcony is double the size of the other 4 cabins

(estimate 4x18?)

A bit of soot, you can hear the bell of the rockwall, i also heard kids playing ping pong (deck6?) about 2am

Loved the aft idea but it didnt seem to work out very well for me on the Empress.

Too much rolling, rocking and vibration.

Had a JS last year 9118, no motion at all.

Pictures on website are accurate for the deck 9 cabins

7690, taken from balcony door

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL377/1003796/1940671/135998154.jpg

We just spent 11 days on Empress (1/15-1/26 07)

Very small for a junior suite but comfortable.

We awoke daily to a coating of soot and particulates from the stack. Don't go out on the balcony in bare feet before you retire for the evening or you'll have the stuff all over your sheets.

Great itinerary and pleasant steff.

Can you tell me what cabin number you were in? I am trying to piece all this info together for others who ask questions on my Roll Call.

Thanks. ;)

7690 aft (center cabin)

Has no sitting area

but the balcony is double the size of the other 4 cabins

(estimate 4x18?)

A bit of soot, you can hear the bell of the rockwall, i also heard kids playing ping pong (deck6?) about 2am

Loved the aft idea but it didnt seem to work out very well for me on the Empress.

Too much rolling, rocking and vibration.

Had a JS last year 9118, no motion at all.

Pictures on website are accurate for the deck 9 cabins

7690, taken from balcony door

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL377/1003796/1940671/135998154.jpg

I will have JS 9644, which we had in 2004 and there is no noise and no soot.;)

So' date=' you get double cruise credit for staying in a junior suite and above. Don't you also get double cruise credit for cruises longer than 7 days? If all of this is true...do you get 4 cruise credits for an 8 day cruise in a junior suite?

PE[/quote']

On any cruise you can get a second credit for staying in a JS and above category. That includes 3 - 11 night cruises.

You can also get a second credit if you sail a 12 NIGHT cruise/cruise tour and up in any cabin category.

You can earn a third credit if you sail a 12 NIGHT cruise/cruise tour and up in a JS and above.

The most you can earn is 3 credits per cruise.

Thank you Alexis.

So the break for cruise length is 11 nights. And by this we will recieve 2 cruise credits? 1 for the actual cruise and 1 for the Junior Suite?

PE

Yes. I will get an extra for my JS on the Empress' date=' but not the 3rd credit because it is [b']11 Nights/12 days[/b]. It must be a 12 Nights/13 days and up cruise to get that 3rd one.

Archived