R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Testing : :D :eek: :) :o

[color=darkslategray]I was too embarrassed to ask how to insert emoticons in the new boards. [/color]
[color=darkslategray][/color]
[color=darkslategray]Sweet![/color]

O, O,

Now the new boards are going to be just like the carnival board on the old forum! Soon it will be pages and pages of smilies, and people's names in fancy script, Dancing dolphins, Mickey and Minnie doing a hoedown, etc.

Someone should pay for this forum wide education and the future pain it will cause! :p

jc

I hope others learned as much as I did with this thread. I always wondered how some people had so many posts to their credit. I thought it was because they were asking for or providing information. Now I know that a lot of it is just banter and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with anyone's knowledge or experience. And before you judge me based on MY post count, I am not new to either cruising or these boards. I just don't feel the need to comment on everything that's posted. And everyone needs to remember that most of what's printed on these boards is just someone's opinion - nothing more, nothing less. And the opinion of someone that has actually had experience with something has as much value as someone "in the business that knows all" and has no actual experience with it. I read everything of interest to me on these boards but take NO ONE's post as the final and accurate word on anything. Too many things about cruising are subjective and too many posters have given information that is not accurate to assume that EVERYTHING is accurate.

Going back to the original post on this thread, RiverRev might want to heed his own advice and treat EVERYONE with R-E-S-P-E-C-T, even those that dare to question "those who know all".

Rhonda

Rhonda,

I do not understand the close of your post. I believe that I show all people the respect they deserve as the pinnacle of God's creation.

I also have recognized the ongoing fallacy that post count is the epitome of knowledge and I understand how we degenerated to that point. So, since we are on the third page of this thread let me restate and clarify my point.

There are those who have been long time cruise critic junkies and contributors to the knowledge base - some of whom, I might add - are actual travel professionals who share their insights out of love for cruising and the community. Many of these people had high post counts brought about by their review of previously posted material, personal experience and, as mentioned, professional background. They are used to revounting data because the search feature used to be an unusable tool, especially for newbies. I remember how much I hated someone telling me to use the search feature when I first came on board. In recent days I have seen these wonderful people treated as turnips that just fell off the truck and it amazed me since these people made my first cruise fantastic and developed my desire to continue having such experiences.

These folks willingly advise on pre-cruise hotels, nights for formal night, and the many uses of duct tape. They remember other people's experiences and distill a body of "oral tradition" that passes down to the many newbies. They are invaluable as keepers of the flame (and flamers of the trolls) but there seems, with the advent of the new boards, to have grown up a "generation that knew not Joseph," who disregard good advise or question the veracity of solid sources.

Many of us enjoy one another on these boards. We miss folks that don't post for long periods of time and even fought for "He whose name could not be named" to be able to get him returned to the kingdom. We do talk a lot. But there is a lot about cruising in this banter and some would do well to sit at the knee of the elders and listen.

[quote name='xpcdoojk']It took this thread to learn this? You have got to be kidding.:D :rolleyes:

jc[/QUOTE]
i agree wholeheartedly jc.

what thread on any of the cc forums ever really stays on topic completely? people go off on tangents all time time. sure everyone is originally attracted to cc because they want to learn more about cruising. but once here, a lot of people make friends and use cc as a forum in which they can communicate with each other on a variety of topics, cruise related or non cruise related. i don't see anything wrong with that. if someone else's banter bothers you, then just don't participate in it, don't read what they have to say, put them on your ignore list if you want. posting on any of the cc thread's is exclusive only to those who write cruise related material in their posts. whether you choose to read non cruise related material within a post is your option.

I've been reading up on this "o crew" from the old and new boards and you've inspired me to help out a little more. I've been on the boards since it was back on AOL and I'm ashamed to say my post count has been paltry and based on goofing off with my friends. I've actually tried to help 2 strangers today! And I learned to word wrap my signature line!

i[font=Comic Sans MS][color=red] very rarely stick my nose into things and i am not gonna know i just happen to have a few minutes of time to spare (I am actually spelling my words right yEAH!!) anyway totally off topic but just wantedto say thanks it is threads like these that make the time go buy (when i am bored at work) much quicker so keep it up once i get back to work so i can have an enjoyable day!!! I happen to enjoy the banter that goes on.. Now if we could only throw in a couple baby diaper and candle threads in evvery few days everyones count is sure to go UP!!!!:D [/color][/font]

Och excuse me while I get a hanky :rolleyes: ,this thread reminds me of the old days when we CC's could have nice postings without all the nasty stuff.

I don't have a cruise booked just now,heck come next week I won't have a home but I visit this site many times during the day or night(it is 02.35 am here !!! And I believe it is the way people "say" things on certain postings that get my respect. I know it is really hard to put into typed words just what you mean,but for me it is the wee things that count. I could never be an O but heck I really would love to meet some of these guys and gals because they make me laugh,they make me smile,heck they make me mad but oh how I have missed them recently.

I find it interesting to read different "types" of peoples views on cruising,male,female,young,old,rich,poor,USA/Canada/UK/Australia/Europe etc etc.But I think we have to remember that our countries are different,our ways of life are different and in that we should respect others views.

Strange thing is,at home I wouldn't sit and have a discussion with "a man of the cloth" about cruising but I enjoy reading River Rev's views on cruising because he is from a different country/culture .....and to be honest I don't know any clergy here that would know about cruising ;)

Ok time for bed I think before I get myself in a tuddly muddly.
Good morning and sweet dreams
Liz

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=darkorchid]Yes ,, I agree but REV could you also post this THREAD on the other boards,, spread the LOVE....... :D It seems so selfish of us to keep it here all to ourselves... :o And I think it would do alot of GOOD.....:) [/color][/font]

Elizzienessie (Liz) Speaking of lost friends, I haven't seen Atush since the new board started. Is she still around? Tell her hi from me if you talk to her on one of the UK threads. I know she struggles with me, but I still miss her.

jc

I hear a bunch of EGO going on here with a bunch of modesty. You can figure it out by reading the posts on this thread.

Let's see, if someone has 2500 posts, I'm supposed to treat everything they say as gospel. Don't think so !!!

If the have less than 100, then I should ignore everything they say. Don't think so !!!

People's value and the respect they deserve is based 1) on the information they provide, and 2) the value to the recipient. Actually, #2 is probably more important. The recipient is the only person who places value on the information.

There are many posters who have very few posting, but those are concise, well thought-out, and provide good information.

There are others who post constantly and it is a steady stream of blabber

Those are the extremes and there are tons of people all across the spectrum between the two extremes.

So true dewatson, there is someone on the boards that just registered in Oct or Nov of '03 and has over 1200 posts already, and that is the count on this new board. Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought I read none of the post counts were carried over so that would mean this person has posted over 1100 times since the new boards. That is an awful lot of knowledge being given out for free, or is it? One thread had a poster responding several times one line at a time..so they got approx 10 posts added to count with what should have been one. That's a great way to get your count up to earn that r-e-s-p-e-c-t.

dewatson 12 - I FULLY agree with you. I was reading through these posts and your statement that there is a bunch of ego going on here with a bunch of modesty is so true!

The following saying also comes to mind: "If you have to tell someone you're a lady, then you're not." In other words, if some people think that having a high post count = a wealth of knowledge then maybe it isn't. You earn respect here through being helpful and that is not dependent on number of posts.

Don't get me wrong - many people who have posted thousands of times are probably very knowledgeable but the respect they earn does not need to come from post count - but from the CONTENT of the post.

Let's respect anyone who takes the time to help us out!

Absolutely Amazing! I believe we have, as a society lost the ability to read and comprehend.

Folks I am the op here and I have made efforts to move us away from this "post count" argument which is totally bogus and an oversimplification of the thread. Please READ the entire body of this work before distilling the simple waters of truth and coming up with bourbon.

Took your advice and went back to the original post. Here it is

"I have but one complaint about the new boards and that is repect. I realize that the migration to the new boards caused our posting numbers to fall, but this has created a great leveling of the playing field that has had intriguing results. No one knows the truly informed people online and do not recognize their authority.

I am amazed when BurBunny is questioned about anything in the travel world. BTW all of her Priceline data didn't come over. And the newbies have no experience with the "O" crew. I wish there were some way of noting the superposters whose words are from on high"

Interesting line #1: "No one knows the truly informed people online and do not recognize their authority"
How does post count make someone "truly informed" and having "authority"

Intersting line #2: "newbies have no experience with the "O" crew"
Just because you have some assigned designation, how does that make you especially knowledgable.

Intersting line #3: "wish there were some way of noting the superposters whose words are from on high"
Oh my gosh, now if you have a high post count you have some kind of supernatural, dare I say religious/holy (don't flame), designation

dewatson you took a nice conversation with friends and turned it into something else. If you don't care for the nature of this thread, please move on.

BTW not all the post counts reverted to zero with the change-over. I started with over 600. Personally I don't care about the numbers, they mean nothing to me. I come here for two reasons. First to get information when I'm planning a cruise. Second is to chat with friends I've met while doing the first.

Beth

Okay, so I have to be very careful here; especially since there may be children watching.

Using metaphor and nuance seems to escape some people. It is definately true that some folks that hit this board every day and have conversations with friends, deriving a body of cruise info and filtering it through their experience then sharing or opining probably think about cruising way too much.

Others hit the board occaionally in four years or do a lot of hit and miss reading and share their opinions. AGAIN it is not post count, but there are people on the board who know a great deal and on the old boards we knew who they were.

Interestingly, I saw a post on the Princess board yesterday where their top poster was given "Charter Member" status. I read through 3 pages of cudos for this individual and about his helpfulness and quality info.

On the RCL board we get "who do these people think they are?":confused:

Going on vacation to WDW this afternoon. :D I'll check in next week

Rev, enjoy WDW! Haven't been there in years.

Post count as of 04/01/04 was transferred to the new boards in case you're wondering. I don't think Rev meant to imply that those with higher post counts should get your respect. That can only be earned. The way I understand it is that on the old board there were many people with high post counts that were already known to be helpful. Okay, so they joke around a bit and that ups their post count. No problem. It's the helpful information that they gave out to me and others that count. Again, if someone who rarely posts gives information, then they have earned my respect as much as anyone who posts frequently.

BurBunny was just an example. Those of us who know her also know that she is very knowledgeable, reliable and happy to share with all of us. Maybe Rev was a little surprised when some people did not readily accept her information as fact.

I respect everyone's opinion here to some degree, whether they are helping out with information or showing humor. Post count doesn't matter to me. Participation in a postive manner does. :)

Archived