Cruise Recommendations

djandkatie

Hi - We've went on two DCL cruises, both the Western and Eastern Caribbean. We are thinking of Hawaii for our next cruise. We are open to other recommendations. We just want to escape the Minnesota winters.

I've got a few questions. We looked at NCL Hawaii cruises, but there staterooms are pretty small compared to DCL, unless you upgrade to a suite which is pretty pricey. The other thing that I liked about DCL is that they have the two bathrooms (one with a shower and sink and one with a toilet and sink). That was nice. Does DCL have bigger staterooms than most ships? Do any other cruise lines have the dual bathrooms?

Maybe I've gotten spoiled on DCL, but they don't cruise Hawaii and we wanted to try something else.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

dj

Hi, I can't really answer your questions specifically. You might try posting it on the NCL board to find out more details on that particular cruise line. I can, however, tell you that after working near travel agents for a couple of years (I was NOT a TA) that they were constantly getting complaints about the NCL Hawaii cruises than any other cruises. The service level on these ships is said to be horrible.

That being said, I have never cruised this line myself.

Our best friends did the NCL Hawaii run last year and were very disappointed with the quality of service. However, this did not ruin their cruise. They are still glad they went. And since NCL was the only cruiseline to go where they wanted to go....they just went knowing ahead of time that the service would not be up to their usual RCCL standards.

Here are my thoughts on the Hawaiian cruises and NCL versus other lines.

First, yes you are spoiled by DCL and the size of the cabins. The only other lines that can come close are Carnival and HAL. If you want space you will have to book a suite, no matter what line you choose.

Doing the islands is a totally different experience than any other type of cruising. Because the Hawaiian Islands are very port intensive you will find very few activities on the ship and not a lot of night life. NCL ships have been critized (actually it is NCLA) which basically is a different company but under the same umbrella. Some of the negatives are derserved, some are over reaction and most are due to lack of research prior to cruising. Because all 3 ships are American flagged the service and crew are very different than the international crew most of us are used to. If you are considering NCL I would opt for Pride of America. Even though the cabins may be the smallest of all the NCLA ships they have been doing this itinerary over 2 years (almost 3) and have gotten it down, plus have a more experienced crew. I have had cliants sail the ship and returned with almost no complaints.

Of course the advantage of NCL freestyle is relaxed dress code and so many eating options. If you choose to dine at around 7pm you will most likely have a wait because of the long shore excursions and everyone wanting to eat about the same time.

Just remember doing Hawaii is all about the islands and not so much about the cruise ships themselves.

NMNita

Archived