Melbourne Excursion Opinions

Brookeh424

We are trying to decide betweeen the Best of melboune that includes Healesville and a river cruise and the Puffing Billy ride with lunch and Healesville. Has anyone done either of these??

(I have read the Preisman's website which led me to want to do the Puffing Billy, but I don't know anything about the river cruise.....)

We are trying to decide betweeen the Best of melboune that includes Healesville and a river cruise and the Puffing Billy ride with lunch and Healesville. Has anyone done either of these??

(I have read the Preisman's website which led me to want to do the Puffing Billy, but I don't know anything about the river cruise.....)

Hi cruiser, I was born and raised in Melbourne, and I am sure you would enjoy the Puffing Billy train. it is a small train that winds up the mountains of the Dandenong ranges. as a child that was the greatest outing we had.

If your tour is to Healsville Sanctuary, there are Australian native animals

in a lovely setting. thoroughly recommend them both.

I will be visiting Melbourne on the Sapphire Princess cruise in March and taking some cruise friends to those very places.

kindest regards, Lorraine:) :)

I'm a railroad fan, so it would by "Puffing Billy" for me.

When we were in Melbourne, way back in Jan 95, I don't believe that trip was offered. We took the shuttle into town - my wife and sis-in-law shopped in the downtown area, and I rode the trolley car out to the War Memorial. Don't recall what my bro-in-law did, probably looked for a hardware store and an ice cream shop!

Beautiful city (and country).

We hope to do Australia/New Zealand again, probably spring of '09.

Hi Brookeh424,

Without being too personal ;) , it really depends on what age you are. Puffing Billy is great fun if you can sit with your legs dangling out of the carriage windows (yes, it is designed that way) travelling through bushland, whereas the River Cruise will be a leisurely trip down the Yarra River, starting from the City centre and passing a number of landmarks along the way.

Unless you are a real train fan, you will see some lovely Australian countryside on your way to Healsville sanctuary anyway.

Whatever you choose I hope you have a great visit to my home town.

Archived