Grandeur of the Seas Review ~ 01/27/07--02/03/07

I will do the photobucket thing, thanks. I should have them up by the end of the week or over the weekend.

Don't worry about the solarium--there are still places that they can get shade. And also I hardly ever saw kids in there, which is a very good thing. When are you guys going again?

Bickee: Don't worry, you'll love the Grandeur. It's a great ship!

We will be on the ship in less than three weeks!

Joy2Day - thanks so much for the dining room information. I didn't know about the pasta station. I knew the Windjammer would have one, but not the main dining room. Do you go up yourself or have your waiter get the pasta for you?

Thanks for all of the great information. We will be on the Grandeur on the March 17th out of NOLA.

A couple of questions.....what age is considered a kid when speaking of the solarium? We have a 16 and 17 year old sons. Not that they would want to hang out with mom and dad, but just in case, would they be allowed?

Also, this is a silly question. I have a thing for grilled chicken sandwiches....are those available at lunch at the solarium grill or in the windjammer?

thanks,

Kathleen

Thanks for all of the great information. We will be on the Grandeur on the March 17th out of NOLA.

A couple of questions.....what age is considered a kid when speaking of the solarium? We have a 16 and 17 year old sons. Not that they would want to hang out with mom and dad, but just in case, would they be allowed?

Also, this is a silly question. I have a thing for grilled chicken sandwiches....are those available at lunch at the solarium grill or in the windjammer?

thanks,

Kathleen

Over 16 in the Solarium (or is it 16 and over?)... anyway, no grilled chix in the Solarium, just dogs, burgers and pizza... Don't recall it in the windjammer either.

Stacy,

Thank you very much for your great review!

This will be our first cruise and it´s good to read all those positive comments and reviews.

A dumb question from a first timer: How early can we check in or at least drop our luggage? I thought about getting to the pier early, drop the bags and maybe check in and head back for the French Quarter for another nice day in New Orleans (and a steamboat ride on the Natchez :D ).

steamboats

I don't know about the grilled chicken sandwiches but I did have a grilled chicken caeser salad in the Gatsby dining room for lunch. If you like pasta you will LOVE the pasta in the dining room at lunchtime. The sauce is great the best I ever had!! You go up to the area where they are preparing and order what you like. The waiter carried mine back to the table but you can also carry your own.

If you get a chance to meet Gino the head waiter you will meet someone who is the nicest guy!! If you do tell him people from Pittsburgh said "Hi". Have a great cruise.

Stacy,

This will be our first cruise and it´s good to read all those positive comments and reviews.

A dumb question from a first timer: How early can we check in or at least drop our luggage? I thought about getting to the pier early, drop the bags and maybe check in and head back for the French Quarter for another nice day in New Orleans (and a steamboat ride on the Natchez :D ).

steamboats

The earliest they usualy let you start checking in is about 11:30. So you can get there before then, but you won't be able to check in. There also probably won't be anyone there to take your luggage b/c most of the porters are still helping people who are disembarking from their cruise during that time. So just go to the check-in desk and let them know if that happens. You should be able to get back in to NO by noon. Hope that helps.

We sailed the Grandeur on 1/13 and were able to check in at 11:00am. We were on the ship at 11:15. All passengers must board no later than 4:00pm which would leave you a few hours to explore N.O. a bit longer. Since we arrived in NOLA the previous afternoon and had tacked on an extra day in town after we returned, we opted to board early, ahead of the crowds, and explore the ship by ourselves as passengers slowly boarded over the next several hours. By the time we set sail, DW had already booked spa treatments and a hair styling; we confirmed shore excursions, visited our stateroom (after it opened at 1:00pm) and explored the lay of the ship. For several hours, we had the ship to ourselves and watched the rest of the pax trickle in.

Stacy,

steamboats

Are you arriving in New Orleans on Friday? I stayed at the Hilton Riverside the night before. I just left my luggage with the bell desk. The Natchez returned around 1:30 pm. I caught the streetcar back to the Hilton, retreived my luggage, and caught a cab to the terminal. Great trip, even in the cold rain. :)

I was asking about the Viking Crown.

This is not good news! My parents would rather have the shade and fewer people. Were the hot tubs opened to the sun? My Dad loves to get in the hot tubs, but stay out of the sun. I have never been on a ship in the winter, where the cover has been opened either.

If the beds were hard, then they must be new. The old bedding was foam. I was hoping for the old beds. :D :D

One more thing! Pictures?

I was also on the Grandure 1/27 thru 2/3, and it was my first cruise. It was great! We were with a group of 16 of my sister & hubby's friends, and had a great time. In the morning the Viking Crown is fantastic to read in, also the library and study.

I love the solarium, and you can always find a quiet shady spot there.

The hot tubs seemed to be in the sun all the time, so I spent a lot of time in my cabin. I was 7140 and the rest of my family was in the 7520's. We were right above one of the clubs, and it got kinda bouncy in there when we were trying to sleep.:D

I love this site, and wish I had known about it prior to my surprise cruise. :)

Are you arriving in New Orleans on Friday? I stayed at the Hilton Riverside the night before. I just left my luggage with the bell desk. The Natchez returned around 1:30 pm. I caught the streetcar back to the Hilton, retreived my luggage, and caught a cab to the terminal. Great trip, even in the cold rain. :)

Thanks for your replys!

Joy2Day,

Actually we´re arriving Wednesdays night. But we don´t want to miss a single cruise on the Natchez (see my nickname) :D . Checking in after the Natchez cruise was the other option I was thinking of :) .

steamboats

4) The Hyatt--just walk into the Lobby area (when facing forward, to the left) and ask to purchase the day pass. It's super easy. Yes, the taxi was $12 each way. It's beautiful--definitely go there.

Questions!!

Great review! Thank you.

I am cruising with my elderly Mom, Grandeur on 3/17, and am very interested in the Hyatt for the day. Do I understand no reservation is necessary for the day pass?

Appreciate the info.

Sue

Thank you for the information on the Viking Crown lounge and the solarium.

Welcome to the boards! ;) How'd you find us?

LOL.... My neice asked me as we were boarding the ship... "Hey! Did you do the meet and greet on cruisecritic.com?"

Heck no! I didn't even know I was going until the Monday before!! LOL What a treat! :D I was even glad that my cabin was so far away from the elevators. I really needed to work off the dinners.

I thought the coffee was a bit strong, but a fistfull of cream and a shot of water did the trick. I am totally looking forward to going back again. I wish I had known about this board, I would have loved to go to the meet and greet. :):)

We are sailing this Sat, 2/10 on the GOS. It will be the GOS and the Carnival Fantasy leaving that day.

Can anyone tell me which terminal the GOS departs from? There have been a few different terminals mentioned. I know Julia St has a large terminal and a smaller one, but there is also an Erato terminal/garage. How far is the garage away from the terminal? Last time we sailed out of NO, we parked on a paved single fenced in lot right under a bridge. (April 2004) We are driving down and I kind of want to know how early to get there in case of "issues". (i.e. Mardi Gras parade traffic..) Hopefully, we will have access to a parking garage instead of a parking lot. Also, what time do you have to be out of the garage/lot on debarkation? Any chance on leaving said vehicle in garage and checking out NO? Please advise.

Thanks.

Stacy- Did your stateroom have a hair dryer? The last few cruises, I have uses the stateroom dryer, along with the balcony air to dry my hair. Since I have not been on one of the older ships in a while, I cannot remember if they have the dryers?

Did you get robes in the room?

Thank you so much for the great info. I am going to call American Airlines to change our departure flight from NO, it leaves at 9:50 am - it would seem that would be cutting it too close for comfort.

Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know anything about the drink passes? We ae going with 2 kids 13 &10 and they drnk a lot! I remember a long time ago on Carnaval if you bought one of their mugs you could get unlimited refills. Not sure if RCL has a similar program. Any info would be greatly appreciated. What are the alcoholic drink prices like on the ship? Do they have any package for those too?

Lastly, has anyone cruised this ship with kids? How is the "kids club"? Do you recommend any particular excursions?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out!!

Robin in CT

Stacy- Did your stateroom have a hair dryer? The last few cruises, I have uses the stateroom dryer, along with the balcony air to dry my hair. Since I have not been on one of the older ships in a while, I cannot remember if they have the dryers?

Did you get robes in the room?

The hair dryers are located in the top drawer of the vanity. The robes are a perk if you are a Platinum member or above.

Stacy -

Thanks for the review. I've sailed on Grandeur three time in the past three years and am looking at an Eastern Caribbean cruise for this fall. I agree with your comments on Capt. Rob - he was hysterical!!! We, too, looked forward to his daily announcements, and his explanation of the dent in the side had everyone laughing.

Did they have the beds all replaced yet? I understand that they should all be replaced this year - perhaps during the drydocking.

Archived