About an Alaska cruise

Rahi

I am thinking of an Alaska cruise after my cruise in March. In looking at the TA sites it seems that only NCL Pearl, and Holland America Zaandam go through inside passage and have a stop at Glacier Bay. (could be wrong) Is that what is best to see first time? That is the set up for summer of 07, I want to go May 08 , when son is out of college and we can all go. Is that a good time to go? I hate crowds, so I want to try and avoid that , but hopefully without it being too cold. I want it all ! Thanks for any help . You all have been a termendous help so far.

No matter when you go it will most likely be cool to cold when you're actually at any glacier because you're sitting in a huge bowl of ice water! In June of '02 the only place we had to "layer up" with sweatshirts & jackets was at Hubbard. I suggest you make it late May or 1st week of June when many of the northern schools are not yet out for the summer.

We have yet to see Glacier Bay (will in 7 months) but from people I've talked to and pictures I've seen Hubbard seems to be the more impressive place.

I am thinking of an Alaska cruise after my cruise in March. In looking at the TA sites it seems that only NCL Pearl, and Holland America Zaandam go through inside passage and have a stop at Glacier Bay. (could be wrong) Is that what is best to see first time? That is the set up for summer of 07, I want to go May 08 , when son is out of college and we can all go. Is that a good time to go? I hate crowds, so I want to try and avoid that , but hopefully without it being too cold. I want it all ! Thanks for any help . You all have been a termendous help so far.

The best are the ones that go round trip Vancouver. They have the most Inside Passage cruising. The Zaandam and the Zuiderdam both go to Glacier Bar and Tracy Arm ...... an excellent combo which is not offered by other lines.

I like the smaller size of the Zaandam, but it is easier to get a reasonably priced balcony cabin on the Zuiderdam.

I have been to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard many times and I prefer Glacier Bay. Mainly because there are more glaciers to see and the trip is longer going in. Earliest Zaandam is May 8th and earliest Zuiderdam is May 12th. Toward the end of May is a good time too....kids aren't generally out of school then.

I wouldn't wait too long....ships are filling fast.

Then again Tracy Arm is gorgeous and the ship stops at Skagway long enough one can board the train to the Yukon and see the '49 trail along the way:

http://www.whitepassrailroad.com/

Spectacular vistas. If you're a history buff and into trains... it just doesn't get any better.

We did Tracy Arm first.

(Are doing Hubbard this year.)

I would take the zuiderdam round trip from vancouver. you get to go to tracy arm and glacier bay. also your in skagway all day so you can get on the train if you wish and do the white pass railway. we did the zuiderdam this year and loved it and were doing it again this year in september. The inside passage if beautiful and i wouldn't trade it for anything. leaving from seattle you only get the inside passage coming home and your out at sea the first day. You also loose an alaska port because you stop in victoria on your way back because of the jones act. I highly recomend the zuiderdam but then again that jmho.

I think any of the HAL cruises will give you a great trip. We sailed on the Zaandam last year because we like the smaller ships, especially the Zaandam and the Volendam, but I think the cruises which include Skagway and the opportunity to go over into the Yukon as well as see some magnificent glaciers have a slight edge.

Hope you have a great time. If it were me, I would not worry too much about the cold. It is, after all, Alaska and there's lots of hot tea, hot chocolate and coffee around.

Archived