San Francisco Hotel

puli

Any suggestions for a hotel near the Cruise Terminal in San Francisco? We have tentatively booked a room at the Wharf Inn hoping it is within walking distance to both Fisherman's Wharf and the cruise terminal pier. Is there a better hotel? We are sailing on Mercury April 27th.

Personally The wharf in is my favorite hotel, I live near S.F and stay there every time i am in the City.

It is not the prettiest and the rooms are not the newest looking but it is nice and friendly (i have gotten to know all the staff) it is a few steps from Fishermans wharf & pier 39.

There are also many other hotels, Holiday in express is a few blocks up, Marriott, Hyatt, Sheraton, Radisson (very nice) is just across the street from The Wharf inn, The Argonaut Hotel is a little farther down but one of the nicest. all these hotels are within a few blocks of each other and about a 2 minute walk form Fishermans Wharf. The cruise terminal is a bit further down from pier 39 but it is very walkable.

If i had to pick a hotel that is exactly between Fishermans Wharf and pier 39, it would be Radisson, you will also have a bay view.

We are staying at the Radisson Hotel after our cruise in May. I think I read somewhere that we will disembark at Pier 35. Can we walk this distance to the hotel or should we get a cab? We are 2 women in our 60's each with one piece of luggage on wheels.

If we walk about how far is it?

We are staying at the Radisson Hotel after our cruise in May. I think I read somewhere that we will disembark at Pier 35. Can we walk this distance to the hotel or should we get a cab? We are 2 women in our 60's each with one piece of luggage on wheels.

If we walk about how far is it?

It about a 5 minute walk, on a nice flat sidwalk.

Walk towards pier 39, turn left on Powell 1 block and right on beach, that will take you to the front of the hotel.

Thanks..Do you recommend walking to the pier, or is a cab necessary. My night in SF is pre-cruise.:)

If you are leaving from pier 35, i would just walk, there is a very nice flat wide sidewalk on the water side of the street to wheel your luggage.

If you are going to arrive the day before, take a walk down to the pier and see if you will be comfortable walking it with your luggage, even if you arrive at night you can check out the walk, the area is safe and there will be tons of people walking until late at night.

We're staying at The Argonaut for 1 day pre cruise in May. We stayed there in the fall of 2004 and loved this hotel. It's a short cab ride $5 to the pier and since it's such a short ride (but long enough where you don't want to walk with all your luggage in tow) so we gave him a good tip.

We're staying at The Argonaut for 1 day pre cruise in May. We stayed there in the fall of 2004 and loved this hotel. It's a short cab ride $5 to the pier and since it's such a short ride (but long enough where you don't want to walk with all your luggage in tow) so we gave him a good tip.

Your right, The Argonaut is a great hotel but being down by Ghirardelli Square, it would be a healthy little walk.

I walk it all the time but not with luggage in tow:eek:

If you are staying that far down a taxi would help.

Pat, I am sure if you tell the bellman to tell the cabbie there is an extra tip waiting he will be glad to take you. However I have to say even if you walk very very slowly you will get to the pier faster if you walk than if you take a cab. It really isn't far at all. And completely level. I have done it twice, just me and my then four year old son. Once we had a lot of luggage so he and I walked down with a couple of bags and gave them to the stevedores and then went back to the hotel and got the rest of the bags and walked back down again. On a clear day the walk can be glorious!!!:)

We too stayed at the Argonaut. While you wouldn't want to walk with your luggage, it's a great part of the waterfront and right next to Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory (Ghiradelli)!

Having some time prior to our cruise, we really walked the area and took a look at other hotel properties. After that walking tour, we were really pleased with our location and the quality of the hotel.

If you want to read more - check out this link at TripAdvisor. Argonaut is rated #3 of 230+ hotels in SF, and top rated in Fishermans Wharf area. We now know why. For us, at $130, we thought the value was fantastic given the property.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d268533-Reviews-Argonaut_Hotel-San_Francisco_California.html

Nothing against people's experience at other hotels - I found the TripAdvisor site to give some good info of the 'good and the bad' experience at other properties. The consistency at Argonaut is what sold us.

Radisson seemed (from memory) to be perhaps the closest to the pier - though with the amount of luggage we had (4 people, 11 days) - we were taking a taxi either way.

We loved our pre-cruise time in SF. I hope you will too!!

we are sailing out of SF april 23. we are going in the day before to enjoy SF, we've never been there before. Might stay a few days after the cruise as well. Is it better to fly into SFO or Oakland? have seen a few posts on the boards where folks have flown into oakland instaed of SFO.

any things in SF that are must sees? thanks so much.

we are sailing out of SF april 23. we are going in the day before to enjoy SF, we've never been there before. Might stay a few days after the cruise as well. Is it better to fly into SFO or Oakland? have seen a few posts on the boards where folks have flown into oakland instaed of SFO.

I think it's easier to fly into SFO. Also if you take the Supershuttle from SFO I think it's cheaper and not as much traffic as Oakland.

There is so much to do in SF definitely do the trip to Alcatraz. We booked our tickets beforehand and spend several hours on Alcatraz and loved it. Also you have to do a trolley ride, quite the experience. There so much touristy things to do just in SF and don't forget you can take the ferry over to Sausalito?? (spelling), Muir Woods, wine country, you name it.

Have fun.

I really don't see any difference in either airport, SFO is closer but sometimes Oakland can be a bit less expensive.

I suggest, Lumbard st, China Town, Union Square, Sit and have a cup of coffee in Little Italy and of course pier 39 & fishermans wharf.

If you don't mine a brisk walk, all these places except union Square can we walked to from the pier area.

You can get some beautiful pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge at the bridge look out point.

There is also the park , Discovery center, Opara House, lots of museums ect....You will find 2 days will mot be long enought to see it all but all the things i have named are the "touristy thing to do"

LOTS of great things to do in San Francisco. Last time we were there (in November) we went to a Niners game (the reason for our visit), shopped at Union Square, had wine at the Top of the Mark and watched the sun set. Ate, ate, ate ... there are a million restaurants in the city, from corner diners to 5-star celebrity chefs. On a weekend you might find a street fair or a festival somewhere. Tons of various museums. You can go to the west side of the city and wander the beach.

Sigh. I wanna go back!

we are sailing out of SF april 23. we are going in the day before to enjoy SF, we've never been there before. Might stay a few days after the cruise as well. Is it better to fly into SFO or Oakland? have seen a few posts on the boards where folks have flown into oakland instaed of SFO. any things in SF that are must sees? thanks so much.

We flew into OAK instead of SFO. Much cheaper for our flights at the time. Difference in cab ride, according to concierge, was ~$10. The nice thing about OAK is the size - we literally had our luggage by the time we got to baggage! And, on the way back - no lines at check in. Easy airport, easy access. It was about a 15-20 minute cab ride.

We did the night tour at Alcatraz. Fantastic tour. Seeing the city at night from the island and water was also really neat. Buy your tickets from the official park department website for best pricing.

some folks have told us this a "must" see and others have told us not to waste our time as it is very run down and depressing. any advice?

we've seen all the history/discovery channel documentaries on the Rock. We just don't want to waste valuable time going there if its not worth the hype. Oh yeah, I read the book and have seen the movie "Birdman of Alcatraz!!!!"

Seriously though, any and all suggestions/feedback is greatly appreciated. Also, any "must do" restuarants we should do?

Thanks.

Archived