Any Currency Recommendations ??

Smooth Sailing

US Dollars are accepted almost everywhere, especially in Buenos Aires. Great shopping for cashmere sweaters and leather goods, except a credit card gives you the best exchange rate.

We have even paid with a CC in restaurants in some of the small ports (Puerto Montt and Puenta Arenas) and gotten a great exchange rate.

I go to South America 4 times a year on business (Chile and Peru mostly) and I never exchange money anymore before I leave the US. I sometimes do IN Chile, but NEVER in Peru or Argentina.

In the Southern Cone (particularly in BA) - exchange your money in Buenos Aires - you'll get a much better rate there than you would here. Use dollars and not travelars checks for a better rate.

We used USA cash or credit cards everywhere with no problem all over South America. If you plan to use a credit card, be sure to call and notify your company before you depart. Did have one refusal in Brazil, and just paid cash there. Dollars were happily accepted for tips everywhere too...we take a packet of $100 in dollar bills just for this purpose when cruising.

Archived