Husband ... Attire ... Questions

CBussey64

We are planning our first cruise, finally got DH to agree to go on one with me next Spring ... now this is a jeans / t shirt / sweats man ... although he does have a grey sport coat and black dress pants and a nice blue dressy shirt and tie.

Can someone please make a list of what a man would need for these 7 days (Caribbean more than likely) so I can start shopping FOR HIM ... so he doesn't need to stress ... once it's bought we'll get them tailored. A complete man's list would be fantastic. He is 42. Thank you so much.

My DH doesn't mind dressing up, but no way a tux!! So here is what I take for him, and I am sure others out there will have more great suggestions.

He takes a dark blue suit coat

white dress shirt with a couple ties

3 pairs of dress pants

shorts

shirts

bathing suits (t shirts to wear with them)

tennis shoes

dress shoes

He will wear suit coat, white shirt, tie, dark slacks for formal night.

The 2nd formal night he might just where the shirt and tie, sometimes the jacket again with a different shirt/tie.

The other nights in the dining room he just wears dockers with a golf shirt.

I don't know what cruiseline you will go on, but we did think Carnival was a little more laxed in the dressing. On RC seems more dressy. My husband has some really nice docker jeans(not the faded ones) and he actually could have worn them on Carnival's casual nights but choose not to.

Good luck and I hope this helps!!!:)

My DH doesn't mind dressing up, but no way a tux!! So here is what I take for him, and I am sure others out there will have more great suggestions.

He takes a dark blue suit coat

white dress shirt with a couple ties

3 pairs of dress pants

shorts

shirts

bathing suits (t shirts to wear with them)

tennis shoes

dress shoes

He will wear suit coat, white shirt, tie, dark slacks for formal night.

The 2nd formal night he might just where the shirt and tie, sometimes the jacket again with a different shirt/tie.

The other nights in the dining room he just wears dockers with a golf shirt.

I don't know what cruiseline you will go on, but we did think Carnival was a little more laxed in the dressing. On RC seems more dressy. My husband has some really nice docker jeans(not the faded ones) and he actually could have worn them on Carnival's casual nights but choose not to.

Good luck and I hope this helps!!!:)

That helps tremendously, thank you so much. Looking forward to everyone's input ...

I'll tell you what my DH (37) wears to dinner.

On formal nights, he brings 1 black suit (jacket and pants), 2 shirts and 2 ties, black socks and black dress shoes.

On non-formal nights, he brings 2 pair of pants (usually 1 dark, one khaki) and 4-5 golf shirts, brown casual loafers.

For daytime...

On port days (we usually book fairly active excursions) he wears knit sport shorts and tshirts, sandals/water sandals.

Pretty much the same for "at sea days".

He brings 2 pair of swim trunks (in case one is wet, which is most of the time).

Here is his exact clothing packing list:

2 pair swim trunks

sandals

sneakers

dress shoes

3-4 pair of shorts

4-5 t shirts

1-2 hats

2 pair casual pants (black and khaki)

4 golf shirts

Suit, 2 shirts, 2 ties

4-5 pair dress socks

underwear

black belt

brown belt

Hope that helps!

The line you are cruising really does make a difference. Some are all casual like NCL, others like HAL and X are more elegant and formal.

For my DH, who is a clothes horse:

Black tux with two shirts, cummerbunds/vests and tie options

3 pair dress slacks

4 Tommy Bahama shirts

2 Long sleeve dress shirts

2-3 ties

Sport Coat

Shorts and short sleeve shirts for daytime

Workout and swim clothes

The line you are cruising really does make a difference. Some are all casual like NCL, others like HAL and X are more elegant and formal.

3 pair dress slacks

4 Tommy Bahama shirts

2-3 ties

Sport Coat

Workout and swim clothes

It'll be either Princess, Carnival or Royal Caribbean!!! :o

It'll be either Princess, Carnival or Royal Caribbean!!! :o

Well, there is a bit of difference. Of those three, I would rate Princess as the most formal, Royal in the middle and Carnival last.

Most of the ships in these fleets offer a variety of dining options. The specialty restaurants on RCI and Carnival request nicer dress than in the dining rooms on non-formal nights and most people do make the effort. Even on Carnival, most of the men wore sportcoats to the supper club. In the casual dining, you can wear shorts at all meals.

You will see jeans in the dining room on Carnival and on RCI, less on Princess according to recent posters. Personally, I prefer the look of nice slacks for men but that is just my opinion.

"It'll be either Princess, Carnival or Royal Caribbean"

Theres a big difference in dress codes for these lines.

I prefer the more traditional formal cruise experience. For this I travel on Celebrity, but have been on the other lines you mention.

I start with the length of the cruise.

2 or 3 formal nights.

Black tuxedo ensemble ( tux, two tux shirts, cufflinks, bow ties, suspenders, cumberbunds, silk pocket squares, black dress socks, black patent leather shoes ).

Ivory Dinner Jacket

2 or more informal nights.

Navy blazer, tan slacks, two white shirts, ties, black belt, cufflinks, black dress socks, black leather shoes.

Casual nights.

1 white cotton shirt, 2 Hawaiian type shirts, 1 pr linen slacks,1 pr khaki slacks, brown woven belt, casual brown woven slip on shoes.

Everyday

2 pair shorts

2 swim suits

2 t-shirts

2 pr white socks

8 pr underware

3 casual shirts

flip flops

Embarkation/debarkation

Depends on Chicago weather but...

Jeans, sneakers, longsleeve sportshirt, light jacket

Half way through the cruise I have some items laundered, and immediately I have my dress clothes pressed.

This amount of stuff gets me through 7 -12 night warm weather cruises.

Hope that helps a little.

Dave:eek:

BTW: Everything fits in a large rolling suiter and a carry on.

"It'll be either Princess, Carnival or Royal Caribbean"

Theres a big difference in dress codes for these lines.

I prefer the more traditional formal cruise experience. For this I travel on Celebrity, but have been on the other lines you mention.

I start with the length of the cruise.

2 or 3 formal nights.

Black tuxedo ensemble ( tux, two tux shirts, cufflinks, bow ties, suspenders, cumberbunds, silk pocket squares, black dress socks, black patent leather shoes ).

Ivory Dinner Jacket

2 or more informal nights.

Navy blazer, tan slacks, two white shirts, ties, black belt, cufflinks, black dress socks, black leather shoes.

Casual nights.

1 white cotton shirt, 2 Hawaiian type shirts, 1 pr linen slacks,1 pr khaki slacks, brown woven belt, casual brown woven slip on shoes.

Everyday

2 pair shorts

2 swim suits

2 t-shirts

2 pr white socks

8 pr underware

3 casual shirts

flip flops

Embarkation/debarkation

Depends on Chicago weather but...

Jeans, sneakers, longsleeve sportshirt, light jacket

Half way through the cruise I have some items laundered, and immediately I have my dress clothes pressed.

This amount of stuff gets me through 7 -12 night warm weather cruises.

Hope that helps a little.

Dave:eek:

BTW: Everything fits in a large rolling suiter and a carry on.

THANK YOU, this is most helpful. Heck as long as he's agreed to go that's all that matters in my book ... the rest will fall into place. :D

That's soooo sweet .... he knows how to dress, just doesn't LIKE TO. But for me he will. Thanks!!!

Then rent him a tux. If he will wear it for you, he will look like a million bucks the other ladies will be jealous that your man will dress for you. You buy yourself a beautiful dress. You will feel like a movie star and have a GREAT EVENING! Maybe because you are so happy he will enjoy it too. My DH already ownes a tux so he always wears it. He admits he mostly wears it because it makes me so happy. Thus we both have a great time. My daughter loves the photo of us both from formal night -

Ask him, maybe he will agree.

That's soooo sweet .... he knows how to dress, just doesn't LIKE TO. But for me he will. Thanks!!!

Then rent him a tux. If he will wear it for you, he will look like a million bucks the other ladies will be jealous that your man will dress for you. You buy yourself a beautiful dress. You will feel like a movie star and have a GREAT EVENING! Maybe because you are so happy he will enjoy it too. My DH already ownes a tux so he always wears it. He admits he mostly wears it because it makes me so happy. Thus we both have a great time. My daughter loves the photo of us both from formal night -

Ask him, maybe he will agree.

I'm 51 and here is my 2 cents. First and last days are casual because you may not have a suitcase. I will depart from home the morning of the cruise and will dress in manner to eat in the dining room in case my baggage arrives late to the cabin (it happens). The cruise line will pick up your luggage on the last night, so what you wear to dinner will be what you wear at disembarcation. So you are down to two formal nights and 3 casual/informal nights on a 7 day cruise.

This is my packing list, so far:

1 Tuxedo (with all the goodies)

1 Navy blazer (I may substitute with another sportcoat)

2 pr dress trousers (charcoal gray/britsh tan)

3 dress shirts. I haven't decided which ones.

3 ties and a bunch of pocket squares

formal shoes, tan oxfords, boat shoes, running shoes, rainbows

2 pr shorts

5 polos shirts, buy souvenir tees at the ports

2 swimsuits

Boxers/briefs? None of my business.

Of course all of this is subject to change the night before I leave.

bububr had some other great ideas, too. You can also rent a tux through the cruise line. It will be hanging in your cabin upon arrival.

Happy shopping.

First and last days are casual because you may not have a suitcase. I will depart from home the morning of the cruise and will dress in manner to eat in the dining room in case my baggage arrives late to the cabin (it happens). The cruise line will pick up your luggage on the last night, so what you wear to dinner will be what you wear at disembarcation.

Well, yet again one needs to emphasis the difference between lines....

On the Queen Elizabeth 2, first and last nights are informal. So the men will be wearing a nice suit. Sports jackets will be at the very informal end of the spectrum.

Formal nights will see probably 95% of the men aboard in evening dress - and no-one will change after dinner back to day wear.

There are no casual nights. (Well, unless the ship is docked either after 6pm or overnight. I've had ONE of those in all my time aboard....)

Luggage is picked up at about 2-3 am on the last night (or at least that is when the last advertised run is made - all one has to do is have a quick word and if it is later then a special run will be made).

I recognise that this is probably the most formal ship afloat, but it does give you an idea of the range available.

On my January transatlantic it went informal, formal, formal, formal, formal, informal.....

Matthew

Thank you for this thread- I am hoping to take a cruise (also to the Carribean) with my boyfriend of 4 years (he's 35) and he too is a jeans/ T-shirts/ shorts man (which is a shame because he looks so good in formal wear). My agent, a longtime friend, has suggested Celebrity (and I love to dress!) but I am afraid that will be too formal for him. What is the minimum you can get away with at dinner for non-formal nights on Celebrity, Princess, Norweigan, Carnival, and Royal Carribean respectively? It's his first cruise and as sad as it is, I know dressing up too much could turn him off of the whole vacation- and I want him to enjoy it as much as I do (I know after his first cruise he'll be hooked and probably would get into the dress code!). Thanks!!:o

Celebrity is not that formal dress-wise. Look, my hubby has a tux, he loves it. Should every man go out and buy one? Absolutely not! You can buy a rental or you can rent. My DH also has two beautiful suits, black and grey. He will usually bring both if we're on a 14 day. For informal nights, the suggested dress on "X" is jacket/tie. This is also called semi-formal. I have seen it all, but the norm is sport jacket and tie for informal nights. Most port days will be casual and if we're in port late, we may opt for optional dining (buffet area, but waiters serve) and that is casual. Formal has gone from being black tie to dark suits/ties and tuxes. Casual is resort wear and just plain casual. The min is slacks (not jeans) and a nice polo shirt, but they won't throw you out if you do wear them! DH will wear some nice slacks and sport shirts or his favorite loud hawaiian shirts :eek:...hehehe...I usually mix and match with some sexy, kitten heeled sandals, skirts, capris or gauchos and nice light pullovers or blouses. For formal, I have short and long cocktail dresses and lots of costume jewelry. Many I have purchased at clearance sales or on ebay. We almost never do blue jeans. They are usually too heavy for warm weather and they really do weigh the suitcase down if you're flying! Norwegian has both choices. You do casual dining or dress. Carnival: definitely more laid back. Princess and RCI are pretty standard as I have noted above. What people WEAR and what is SUGGESTED are always open to interpretation! They do give you guidelines! You'll have a great time and don't worry so much!

My husband too is a jeans/t-shirt kind of guy. I am kinda glad to see he is not the only one lol. I know he does not want to wear a suit/ tux or a tie. I also wonder what is the least dressy thing he can wear? We will be on Carnival Elation.Can we wear docker pants and a polo or button up shirt (no tie) and dress shoes? I know he will not mind wearing this to much.

3 pair dress slacks

4 Tommy Bahama shirts

2-3 ties

Sport Coat

Workout and swim clothes

Does DH go "commando"???

:D

LL

Just got the report first hand fom my sis who came off Carnival Fantasy on Sat. For formal night 50% of the men were in suit/jacket, 25 % only had a shirt and tie and the rest had no tie and a nice shirt. So I guess it depends on the cruise line but sounds like Canival is much less formal.

My husband too is a jeans/t-shirt kind of guy. I am kinda glad to see he is not the only one lol. I know he does not want to wear a suit/ tux or a tie. I also wonder what is the least dressy thing he can wear? We will be on Carnival Elation.Can we wear docker pants and a polo or button up shirt (no tie) and dress shoes? I know he will not mind wearing this to much.

I have seen many men wearing the trendy, no collar shirt on formal night with a suit. I would say no to the dockers, polo and button up. It is very rare to see a man without a tie on formal night. If you're asking will anyone say anything to you or not let you in the dining room? The answer is no.

I have seen many men wearing the trendy, no collar shirt on formal night with a suit. I would say no to the dockers, polo and button up. It is very rare to see a man without a tie on formal night. If you're asking will anyone say anything to you or not let you in the dining room? The answer is no.

I have never seen anyone turned away from any lounges or the dining room. Sure, you can wear whatever you would like........so, my next question is, why take a trip where they suggest you dress? There are quite a few cruises that are casual everyday.

We are planning our first cruise, finally got DH to agree to go on one with me next Spring ... now this is a jeans / t shirt / sweats man ... although he does have a grey sport coat and black dress pants and a nice blue dressy shirt and tie.

Can someone please make a list of what a man would need for these 7 days (Caribbean more than likely) so I can start shopping FOR HIM ... so he doesn't need to stress ... once it's bought we'll get them tailored. A complete man's list would be fantastic. He is 42. Thank you so much.

----------------

The thing to remember about cruising in the Caribbean, for instance, is that sun really beats down on you, and also reflects off the water back at you. So think white cotton clothing! Bring several pairs of shorts, white shortsleeve shirts (botton type is better than T-shirts because you can leave the bottoms out, and air circulates up and keeps you cooler) and for long pants wear Dockers instead of bluejeans, which are darker and thus absorbs the suns heat more, making you much warmer! For evening wear a dark blue blazer and a couple of different color slacks, with a couple different color short sleeve or long sleeve shirts, a couple of ties, and you can mix and match and have multiple choices of what to wear to dinner. Some people bring a suit, some bring white dinner jackets and enjoy wearing them to make formal night special, and add ambiance to the cruise. A couple pair of shoes, one for walking, one for dress, a swimsuit, some bling, and you're pretty much there! Remember, you are in public everytime you step out of that cabin, and on stage where everyone is looking at you. Your clothes say a lot about you, and first impressions and all that. A cruise is a 7 day fashion show, and you're the star! Have fun with it! Bon Voyage!

Archived