Stars...are they out there?

minitor

I have been on 3 Vista cruises and have not been able to see the stars at night due to all the lights. There have been a few recent postings about something called the "sky deck" on S and R ships and also an activity on the Sky Deck with a crew member to ID some stars.

Is there a good location on a Vista class ship to observe the stars around 10 or 11 at night? Yes, I know all about the other goings on in the dark on the Sky Deck of S and R ships.

We really do want to see the stars on a clear night. My dad was on several ships in WW2 and always talked of how nice they were to observe from the Sea.

Thanks!

I have sailed the Vista classes a few times in aft suites. I have always been able to lie out on a deck chair on the verandah and gaze at the stars at night...it is quite an amazing sight.

Obviously I would suggest booking an aft cabin either balcony or suite....but realistically not everyone does. So that said I would suggest grabbing a couple of lounge chairs on the aft Lido deck and watching from there.

Hope this helps.

Yup the stars crossing the atlantic on a darken ship are sure spectacular but I must say some of the best I have ever seen was in Norway, around 12 or 1 am just so quiet, and clear you could reach out and touch those stars amazing

I agree with you- absolutely nothing like it, anywhere else, I have been.

OH Yes, nothing is better than laying in a lounge chair in our favorite aft cabin on the Oosterdam and watching the stars (as long as it is warm:o ) One of the times we were out there gazing up at the stars and I said to Tom "I am surprised we have not seen any falling stars?" Just then we saw the most beautiful flame across the sky. It was so neat. I am so looking forward to our March cruise hoping that the nights at warm;)

The Sky Deck of Vista ships is a good place to watch the stars

I have to agree that the Sky Deck is the best place to watch the stars.

But I have to rank the best place for watching stars was in Yellowstone National Park. The summer of 1990 I worked out there and it was on my first camping trip when I saw so many stars that it was amazing!

Cruising on a warship is a bit different as we have no lights topside; on a moonless clear night, once your eyes get adjusted, there are billions of visable stars, it is absolutely incredable how many are truely out there.

The sad part is you will never get to experience star gazing in its glory on board a cruise ship, there is just too much ambient light floating around. I did see a fair portion in the middle of the night from my deck 6 varanda (about 3 AM) because there was not that much ambient light from the ship but nothing at all like on the deck of a darkened warship steaming at sea.

Archived