Storms at Sea

wonlife64

We also had perfect weather on our Western Caribbean sailing out of Galveston in April of 2004. On past cruises in Alaska, Panama Canal and even the Eastern Caribbean, we've had some rough, windy days with whitecaps but never an out & out storm where the upper decks were closed. Nor do we care to experience that. We're taking a very hard look at the "Adventure" out of San Juan on Sept. 9th. The balconies start at $747 which is more than $200 cheaper than an oceanview. I understand that weather is totally unpredictible any time of year. However, I would like to hear from those of you that have taken Caribbean cruises during the the height of hurricane season. Would you do it again?

Stowaway is right. This extreme movement was the result of having no power, which is one of the worst things that could happen in rough seas. As long as you have control of the vessel, you can avoid the beam seas which make the ship rock from left to right. In the end, no matter how big the ship or how great the stabilizers, the oceans will make vessels move and rock. Most are built to withstand this type of punishment especially Cunard's fleet. The QE2 was hit by a 100 foot rogue wave about 10 years ago and suffered minimal damage. I have done a transatlantic 4 times and have been in some heavy seas. We also hit a gale on the way to the Caribbean, which tossed us a bit. In the end, I never felt fearful just a wee bit seasick.

Check out this one:

Only cruised 2 other times I would sh** myself and kiss my a** goodbye. Why in the world would the cruise line even sail on the out skirts of a storm????? Don't they have radar letting them know a storm is approaching? Hell I might be able to see the storm in the distance......

Lulybellsea--- My DH and I cruised in Sept. of 2005 one week after Katrina. We went on RCI's Explorer of the Seas (awesome ship). Our itinerary was Eastern Carribbean. We got a great price due to height of hurricane season. If you don't stress about things, then I would say most definately book your cruise. But if you're like me and worry about EVERYTHING.. then don't!! I spent night and day watching the weather channel, and stressed so much that our cruise would be cancelled that I'm not sure if I would do it again. Although if that was the only time I could get away if the price is right..who knows? Just remember weather is something we have NO control over and the cruise line will definately not put you in harms way. Anything can happen any time of year.. look at all those Carnival cruisers last week that had their cruise cancelled because the ship was hit with a barge!! what a freak accident. Thankfully nobody got hurt! So if you don't mind itinerary changes (it can happen due to weather) and won't stress out too much in front of the weather channel then happy cruising!! DH and I are going on Freedom of the Seas April 22nd.. Can't wait!!

Archived