Marquesas on the Paul Gauguin?

rubyolili

Has anyone been on the PG in the Marquesas? Going in March and would like some idea what to expect.

Which shore excursions have you been on in the Marquesas and what did you think?

Does the weather often prevent guests from going ashore at all?

Can active people "go it alone" for exploring on any or all of the islands? (Hiking 5 miles on rough trails not a problem.)

The museums etc that I was most interested in are on Ua Huka, but are supposed to be closed on the day we visit (Sunday). We're hoping they'll be open anyway, with a ship in port and excursions already scheduled to visit them. Any thoughts on this?

Finally, did you find any way to communicate with the cruise line (to ask excursion questions) prior to boarding? They don't make it easy! I know we can ask when we board, but then there is the fear that the best excursions will sell out.

Thanks for any insight you can provide,

rubyolili

Can't answer your weather questions as we had beautiful weather when we went in November. I would recommend taking the ship's excursions. Most of the islands are very small and hiring a guide might be difficult. Most of the islanders did not speak English, only French. The ship's excursions were excellent and having one of the lecturers along added a great deal. The museum in Ua Huku was open and everyone on the island turned out for a song and dance show. The museum is very small but nice. The excursions we took were for the most part focused on the culture and history of the particular island. If you have any questions about specific excursions, I'd be happy to answer if it is something I'm familliar with. It was a fabulous cruise and we learned a lot, especially by attending the on-board lectures then seeing the actual site that the lecturer had worked on.

I made a mis statement- the museum in Ua Huku was good sized and very interesting. We were there during the week as the school next door was in session. The very small museum was in Fatu Hiva which was where the entire island turned out. The museum there was interesting as was the church.

Yes, I was on the PG cruise, including the Marquesas, (Nuku Hiva and Hiva Oa) in June 2006. In Nuku Hiva we were met on shore by a group of natives, was great, transferred to 4 X's and did the island tour that way. If Mark Eddows is on your trip, by all means take that tour, he is wonderful, so personable and knowledgeable. Both islands are beautiful but very remote and wild, we visited a couple of very small villages and that was about it. The history is interesting, however. We were able to see the site where the Survivor episodes were filmed. I would suggest you book your land tours on these islands thru RSSC, I personally would not want to take off on my own. You can go on their website to do that. We had beautiful weather the whole trip, not sure what March will be, probably the chance of more rain. Have fun!

Archived