Gulf Of Mexico Sea Conditions Lately--Rough??

TulsaFlyer

Just curious from those who have cruised lately (last 3 weeks or so) what the sea conditions between Galvaston and Cozumel have been with the jet stream so far south and nasty wx well into the Gulf.

Anyone who has cruised the Gulf lately please comment.

Mike in Tulsa

Just curious from those who have cruised lately (last 3 weeks or so) what the sea conditions between Galvaston and Cozumel have been with the jet stream so far south and nasty wx well into the Gulf.

Anyone who has cruised the Gulf lately please comment.

Mike in Tulsa

Yo T-towner, I hope this helps.

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/mmm.html?map=wave&animate=1

mmm_wave_anim.gif

waveHeightKey.gif

TulsaFlyer, I live pretty close to Galveston, and the Gulf has been about its usual self. With the constant North wind it has been pretty flat, but usual is 2'-4' swells. When the wind cranks up to 25+ out of the South is when we start seeing 6'-8' swells. Thats nothing like the 14'-16' swells we encountered 2yrs ago of Grand Cayman.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Gulf get rough at this time of the year.

If a front rolls through before you board the Gulf can be rough. No one can know what the weather will be next Tuesday much less next month. You could cruise from Florida but you have the same problem. If you watched the Super Bowl Sunday you can probably guess how things were on Sunday's sailings.

You will be on vacation. You cannot control the weather. You should be worried about packing; you can control that. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed out Jan. 28th, returned Feb. 4th. Only rough day was Saturday before getting into port Sunday. "Bridge report" on the tv said up to 12 ft. Was a little rock after having way tooo much fun in Cozumel afternoon before! ;) It sure made for great sleeping though! We were on the Panorama deck. Probably felt it more up there than decks below. Nothing to keep me from going again soon!

Enjoy whatever the weather!!

Kat

We have kids going and just wanted to be sure to have something to combat sea sickness if needed. Now I know that the wx conditions observed in the Houston area can be an indicator of the sea conditions. That is what I was wanting to know. This winter has seen more artic fronts than years past, but I wasn't sure how the affected the wx in the gulf coast area since it is usually very temperate there.

Mike in tulsa

I just returned from a cruise on the Holiday from Mobile to Costa Maya & Coz. Saturday & Sunday in the gulf were very rough...up to 19ft swells, and a bit chilly. Made for a rough 1st 2 days at sea. However On the return Feb. 21 & 22. the gulf was very calm, and the weather was perfect. No probs at all. We had a great time!

Archived